Re: [podcasters] Re: Looking for a partner

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      On 7/1/06, mercuryqs <mercuryqs@...> wrote:
      > Oh and an hour a week is the minimum needed, as this evolves it could easily be an hour a
      > day...but that's too much to ask at this point, so I'm not. An hour a week will do for now.

      Actually, you said the *podcast* was an hour long each week. Anyone
      who's ever done postproduction knows to multiply that by a factor of 2
      to 5. If it was only taking *you* an hour per episode, you could
      almost certainly find that hour and wouldn't have to stop. Am I
      correct?

      I mean you no disrespect, Merc, and if you do find someone willing to
      do this for you, I wish you the best of luck. But I don't think it's
      likely. I don't know of a single literary podcaster who's starving
      for content. Most of us are starving for time, just as you are.

      There's no advertising potential. If there was, you'd already be
      exploiting it and making the money yourself. I've seen your site;
      your PBEM RPG looks like a successful and intriguing one, and that's
      fantastic. But it's still an ultraniche market. The number of people
      who want to listen to somebody else's game for an hour a week will
      never be *much* higher than the number of players involved. And a
      podcast audience that's capped at one or two hundred is never going to
      bring in enough money to reward an outsider.

      The rewards for a podcast like this have to be internal. They have to
      come from a love for the material -- and only the participants in your
      community will have that love. Find the time to do this yourself, or
      train someone else in your group to do it. If it matters to you,
      that's the only way to make it happen.

      http://www.escapepod.org