itunes broken?

  • Brian Noe
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
      has anybody else noticed that their podcast pages at itunes are showing
      every other episode? this is the case with at least 3 of my 5 shows (haven't
      checked the other two yet)

      everything shows up in the podcast subscriptions tab when i dropdown, but
      when i go to the actual listing page every other episode is missing

      brian
      http://noebie.com

    • Stephen Schleicher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
        I notice that too on our podcast, but it isn't just every other episode,
        sometimes it is skipping two, sometimes three episodes..

        grrr

        Cheers
        Stephen Schleicher
        www.coolnessroundup.com

        > has anybody else noticed that their podcast pages at itunes are showing
        > every other episode? this is the case with at least 3 of my 5 shows
        > (haven't
        > checked the other two yet)
        >
        > everything shows up in the podcast subscriptions tab when i dropdown, but
        > when i go to the actual listing page every other episode is missing
        >
        > brian
        > http://noebie.com

      • Variant Frequencies Podcast
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
          Ours is doing the same thing.

          Rick
          Variant Frequencies

          On 7/1/06 9:15 AM, "Stephen Schleicher" <schleicher@...> wrote:

          > I notice that too on our podcast, but it isn't just every other episode,
          > sometimes it is skipping two, sometimes three episodes..
          >
          > grrr
          >
          > Cheers
          > Stephen Schleicher
          > www.coolnessroundup.com

        • Will Brown
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
            I noticed the same problem.
            I'm thinking it has something to do with the category reorganization.
            Hopefully they'll have it worked out soon.

            On 7/1/06, Variant Frequencies Podcast <variantfrequencies@...> wrote:

            > Ours is doing the same thing.
            >
            > Rick
            > Variant Frequencies
            >

            > On 7/1/06 9:15 AM, "Stephen Schleicher" <schleicher@...<schleicher%40mindspring.com>>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > I notice that too on our podcast, but it isn't just every other episode,
            > > sometimes it is skipping two, sometimes three episodes..
            > >
            > > grrr
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Stephen Schleicher
            > > www.coolnessroundup.com

            http://www.CloudyDayArt.com
            Poetry - People - Podcast

          • PaulWorthington
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
              It's also happening to my podcast - 2 of 7 episodes are missing from
              my iTunes entry.

              This may be a coincidence, but at the times I posted those two
              episodes I had made very minor errors in my rss feed file that caused
              it not to validate perfectly at http://feedvalidator.org Despite
              this, iTunes and every other directory and reader were picking up my
              feed and all the items just fine. The errors were only on those two
              items out of seven total. And if I remember right, the error in each
              case was that I had exceeded the 255 character maximum in itunes:summary.

              Before Apple's category announcement, these episodes were showing up
              on my entry in the iTunes directory. I went and validated my feed
              online and discovered the errors (to my surprise). So I changed the
              file until it validated perfectly. All the episodes were still showing
              up on iTunes. Now, Apple's made changes to their directory and all of
              a sudden mine and others' episodes are starting to go missing.

              Could it be that Apple's also suddenly gotten strict about
              specification conformity?

              It would be interesting if everyone could validate their feeds, and
              see if any come back with errors and then check if the items with
              errors match the missing episodes on iTunes.

              - Paul
            • Rob Usdin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                Well, I'm using Feedburner, and I believe they do a pretty top notch job of
                making sure their feeds are validated. I don't mess with mine in any way....

                --*Rob

                > It would be interesting if everyone could validate their
                > feeds, and see if any come back with errors and then check if
                > the items with errors match the missing episodes on iTunes.
                >
                > - Paul
              • Stephen Schleicher
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                  Not sure that is it. I did validate my rss feed and one episode the
                  validator says exceeds the character limit for itunes is showing up in the
                  itunes directory...

                  Still, very strange, and yet another reason to validate our RSS feeds.

                  Cheers
                  Stephen Schleicher
                  www.coolnessroundup.com
                  www.stephenschleicher.com

                  > It's also happening to my podcast - 2 of 7 episodes are missing from
                  > my iTunes entry.
                  >
                  > This may be a coincidence, but at the times I posted those two
                  > episodes I had made very minor errors in my rss feed file that caused
                  > it not to validate perfectly at http://feedvalidator.org Despite
                  > this, iTunes and every other directory and reader were picking up my
                  > feed and all the items just fine. The errors were only on those two
                  > items out of seven total. And if I remember right, the error in each
                  > case was that I had exceeded the 255 character maximum in itunes:summary.
                  >
                  > Before Apple's category announcement, these episodes were showing up
                  > on my entry in the iTunes directory. I went and validated my feed
                  > online and discovered the errors (to my surprise). So I changed the
                  > file until it validated perfectly. All the episodes were still showing
                  > up on iTunes. Now, Apple's made changes to their directory and all of
                  > a sudden mine and others' episodes are starting to go missing.
                  >
                  > Could it be that Apple's also suddenly gotten strict about
                  > specification conformity?
                  >
                  > It would be interesting if everyone could validate their feeds, and
                  > see if any come back with errors and then check if the items with
                  > errors match the missing episodes on iTunes.
                  >
                  > - Paul
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • PaulWorthington
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                    Thanks, Stephen, for checking it. It's looking like it was just a
                    coincidence. I agree about keeping our feeds valid.

                    Paul

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Schleicher"
                    <schleicher@...> wrote:

                    > Not sure that is it. I did validate my rss feed and one episode the
                    > validator says exceeds the character limit for itunes is showing up
                    in the
                    > itunes directory...
                    >
                    > Still, very strange, and yet another reason to validate our RSS feeds.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Stephen Schleicher
                    > www.coolnessroundup.com
                    > www.stephenschleicher.com
                  • PaulWorthington
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                      I appreciate the test of the hypothesis, Rob - it was probably just a
                      coincidence after all.

                      - Paul