VetZine Pulls The Plug

  • vetzine_publishers@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2006
      VetZine Pulls The Plug

      After some 14 years of publishing on the internet
      VetZine will pull the plug at Midnight June 30 central time USA

      I refuse to further hazard VetZine Subscribers

      See Post Below

      Solidarity Comrade !

      Keep your powder dry

      ------------

      You'd be a fool to continue to use AT&T now that its data grab is on
      the table. For that matter, you are a fool to do business with anyone
      who uses AT&T themselves.

      The new privacy policy basically lets AT&T do anything it wants with
      your information. (Remember, according to the company, it's its
      information.) The specific claim is that AT&T can do whatever it
      wants with your/its data "to protect [the company's] legitimate
      business interests."
      --------------------------

      http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasi
      c&articleId=9001449

      Opinion: Sticking with AT&T? You're a fool
      Opinion: AT&T's privacy policy should be a deal-breaker
      Ira Winkler Today´s Top Stories or Other Privacy Stories

      Adapting to New Threats with Integrated Message Management

      See more Webcasts more
      Blogs
      " The recent Veterans Administration laptop theft prompted me to call

      the Washington DC police department to find out if they could
      tell..." Read more...
      " Wake up and smell IT Blogwatch, in which the White House suggests
      ways to protect citizens' privacy. Not to..." Read more...
      Read more Security posts or See all Blogs

      June 27, 2006 (Computerworld) -- AT&T's new "privacy" policy for its
      Internet and video services is way out of line -- an insult to
      genuine security efforts and a brassy attempt to make its profits
      your problem. The announced policy changes may just be a sign that
      cynically attaching the "war on terrorism" label to business
      initiatives has reached a new low, but anyone out there who believes
      that AT&T has announced this sweeping new data-collection policy to
      support the government's fight against terrorism is truly a fool.
      This new privacy policy goes way beyond even the most absurd
      arguments for monitoring Internet users.

      Recapping the basics, AT&T claims that it "reworded" the privacy
      policy for its Internet service to reflect what was previously
      "implied." What the company claims was implied is to the effect that
      while you consider your account information personal, AT&T owns it.

      Once you've caught your breath, let's unpack what's happening here.
      First, ask yourself how AT&T benefits from a clearly controversial
      policy change such as this. Do you think that AT&T is changing this
      privacy policy just so it can provide data to the U.S. government for

      good will, or because the government told it to? No. If the
      government wants your data it has, as we know, various mechanisms to
      acquire it -- whatever AT&T's privacy policy. A legal warrant is a
      legal warrant, for example.

      The implication is that AT&T is making a profit from selling the data

      to the federal government. And that profit must be substantial; after

      all, there are clearly many customers who are dropping AT&T services
      as a result of this proposed change. (Including me -- I actually
      stopped a switch to AT&T's Cingular cellular services when I heard of

      this development.) Clearly, AT&T will lose business by implementing
      or even announcing such a profound change in privacy policies. I can
      only imagine how much money AT&T is receiving from the government for

      all those records if they believe it's worth the hit.

      Next, let's look at what this change entails. The new privacy policy
      basically lets AT&T do anything it wants with your information.
      (Remember, according to the company, it's its information.) The
      specific claim is that AT&T can do whatever it wants with your/its
      data "to protect [the company's] legitimate business interests."

      PAGE 2

      But think: Making a profit is a legitimate business interest.
      Therefore, whatever the company wants to do with any of your
      information, for whatever it considers within its interests, is
      covered. AT&T makes no pretense about it. Not only would this
      explicit ownership claim help the company avoid lawsuits in the
      future for selling data to the National Security Agency for data-
      mining purposes, it basically lets AT&T do whatever it wants with any

      of your information. This isn't merely a knee-jerk reaction to
      current lawsuits, but is a profit-making venture for it forevermore.

      Not disturbed yet? Ponder this: The privacy policy can be
      theoretically used to justify AT&T offering a service that consists
      of selling your corporate e-mail messages to your competitors. If
      AT&T offers that "service" at a profit, it's a legitimate business
      interest for the company. This sounds like an extreme, but the
      privacy policy allows for such extremes. Posing another problem, if
      you deal with data protected by such regulations as the Health
      Insurance Portability and Accountability Act or the Sarbanes-Oxley
      Act, you now have a whole new set of eyes potentially on that data,
      with no accountability to your firm or your customers and no means by

      which you can keep an eye on things.

      AT&T isn't protecting its ability to work with the government -- it's

      granting itself the right to do whatever it wants with any of your
      information or data passing through its service. While AT&T's
      spokesmen may well say, "We would never do that," you'd be a fool to
      believe them. The company employs any number of lawyers, and they
      didn't pull the "complete ownership" language out of a hat. They are
      stating, as they mean to state, that they are claiming complete
      ownership of your data. That is a huge leap from cooperation with
      government for perceived national security purposes.

      Even if you don't use AT&T, you must potentially consider that one of

      your vendors, or anyone else you exchange e-mails with, might use
      AT&T. While you may not technically want to give up rights to your
      information, what happens if these other parties send your data, or
      data relating to you, through AT&T? The implications are really
      scary. Again, AT&T says that it's protecting its legitimate business
      interests, not yours or those of the parties that you deal with.

      PAGE 3

      It gets better. AT&T has also extended its claims on your information

      by claiming that it can monitor your video usage. There are laws on
      the book that state that cable companies can't monitor or collect
      data on viewing habits. AT&T claims that it isn't bound by those
      regulations because it's an Internet provider and not a cable
      operator. Unless AT&T is offering pay-per-view terrorist training
      videos on its network, I don't see how the company can claim that
      monitoring your video consumption is a matter of cooperating with law

      enforcement. That data contains value only for commercial interests.

      AT&T's concerns are not about national security, but about profit and

      future profits. So far, even other Internet providers are disagreeing

      with AT&T's position. Unless there is a substantial backlash, though,

      it is likely that AT&T will extend this privacy policy to other AT&T
      operating units. Likewise, other Internet providers may follow suit
      if AT&T doesn't take a big hit. They might want to start selling your

      data ... I mean their data ... as well.

      So there you have it: You'd be a fool to continue to use AT&T now
      that its data grab is on the table. For that matter, you are a fool
      to do business with anyone who uses AT&T themselves. This isn't about

      security in any way, shape or form -- the motivation is clearly
      profit. Since AT&T isn't cutting you in on its profit from your -- I
      mean its data -- don't give it to the company in the first place.

      Related news and opinion

      * AT&T to customers: We own your data
      * Ira Winkler: Why NSA spying puts the U.S. in danger
      * IT Blogwatch: AT&T: All your data are belong to us (and temp.
      demo.)
      * Martin McKeay : I'm looking for a new long distance company
      * Jerri Ledford : AT&T's new requirements open the door for
      serious threats to personal data
      * C. J. Kelly : AT&T policy change?

      He Who Demands Your Rights
      Aims To Take Your Security