Fact-check me?

  • Amy Bellinger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
      Want to make sure I'm represneting this right.

      "The early podcast directories, such as Podcast Alley and Podcast
      Pickle [others?] used the open directory as the initial basis for
      their sites. Oddly, Apple's iTunes, when it launched podcast support
      in June 2005, did not take advantage of the already-rich content source.

      As it happens sometimes, the more commercial directories with their
      flashier features started to eclipse the iPodder directory, starting
      at about the end of 2005. Even so, for certain categories having hard
      working editors, the original volunteer directory remains the most
      authoritative source."
    • Kevin Devin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
        "used the open directory..."

        Do you mean iPodder.org?

        "Oddly, Apple's iTunes, when it launched podcast support
        in June 2005, did not take advantage of the already-rich content source."

        If the above is true, that you're referring to iPodder.org, if my memory
        serves me correctly, iTunes did indeed use this as an initial source to load
        their directory -- along with other sources like podkey.com.

        -KHD

        --
        Kevin H. Devin
        In the Trenches podcast

      • Dan Kuykendall
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
          Amy Bellinger wrote:
          > Want to make sure I'm represneting this right.
          >
          > "The early podcast directories, such as Podcast Alley and Podcast
          > Pickle [others?] used the open directory as the initial basis for
          > their sites. Oddly, Apple's iTunes, when it launched podcast support
          > in June 2005, did not take advantage of the already-rich content source.

          Apple did get data thru Podcast Alley . I personally helped put together
          some of the data.
          I guess I cannot be 100% certain they used the data, but it seems pretty
          safe to assume that they did.

          --
          Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
          http://www.mightyseek.com

          In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
          Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

        • Amy Bellinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Devin" <kevin.devin@...> wrote:

            > "used the open directory..."
            >
            > Do you mean iPodder.org?

            Right. It's referenced in the previous paragraph, which I didn't include.

            > "Oddly, Apple's iTunes, when it launched podcast support
            > in June 2005, did not take advantage of the already-rich content
            source."

            > If the above is true, that you're referring to iPodder.org, if my memory
            > serves me correctly, iTunes did indeed use this as an initial source
            to load
            > their directory -- along with other sources like podkey.com.

            OK. Thanks, everybody. I thought I remembered someone saying at the
            time -- maybe Dave Winer -- that Apple didn't use the ipodder.org
            directory.

            I'm now thinking I may need to be a little more general, since the
            nitty-gritty doesn't matter all that much for the purpose, which is
            talking about distributively maintained OPML directories.

            Appreciate the help.

            /amyloo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
              On 6/30/06, Amy Bellinger <amybellinger@...> wrote:

              > "The early podcast directories, such as Podcast Alley and Podcast
              > Pickle [others?] used the open directory as the initial basis for
              > their sites. Oddly, Apple's iTunes, when it launched podcast support
              > in June 2005, did not take advantage of the already-rich content source.

              I'm reasonably certain Apple pulled information from iPodder.org.
              They're likely the only ones who can confirm it, however.

              > As it happens sometimes, the more commercial directories with their
              > flashier features started to eclipse the iPodder directory, starting
              > at about the end of 2005. Even so, for certain categories having hard
              > working editors, the original volunteer directory remains the most
              > authoritative source."

              Which categories would those be? Serious question; I wasn't aware
              that any portion of iPodder.org was still viable and current.

              And in my recollection, the other directories didn't "start to
              eclipse" iPodder.org by the end of 2005 -- the directory was
              stagnating by spring of 2005 when Curry was beginning to divert his
              energies into Podshow, and by the end of the year you could stick a
              fork in it.

              http://www.escapepod.org