Re: [podcasters] itunes has 1st anniversary page

  • Dan Kuykendall
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
      I wonder how they picked the ones to list

      --
      Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
      http://www.mightyseek.com

      In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
      Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

    • Carol Kendall
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
        Hi everyone

        I¹m new to podcasting and have just helped a group of 9 and 10 year olds
        create their first school podcast ­ we have made three Episodes and are very
        proud of them. We have initially put these on the school¹s own web site,
        without RSS feed etc (so not yet a true podcast) while we sort out where to
        host the podcasts.

        Currently the school will be charged extra once the downloads are at a still
        low level, so we need to do something urgently. I¹ve been looking at
        Podomatic as a place to put these files. Our main concern is for child
        safety. Is it possible to delete comments that are not appropriate on our
        podcast page? Is there somewhere else that would be a more closed community
        and safer? We see a few other New Zealand schools listed on Podomatic, and
        the comments listed look fine.

        I am also having a bit of trouble getting my head around this final
        publication stage. We have converted the podcasts into basic mp3 files for
        now (though I also have them in a format with chapter markers etc). I need
        to create an RSS feed, for the subscription aspect. Can I do that somehow
        via Garageband or iWeb, but not publish using iWeb? Part of my problem is
        that these original podcasts were created on Macs, but the school itself
        will be on PC and probably having to use Audacity. Can podomatic create an
        RSS feed for us? Would we have a page on our own school web site, that links
        to the Podomatic pages which set everything up for us?

        I¹ll have more questions no doubt, but would like to focus on the child
        safety issue first, the suitability of Podomatic or other child/education
        friendly hosting sites, then the file location and RSS aspect next. I
        appreciate your help and expertise!

        Best wishes
        Carol
        Christchurch
        New Zealand

      • Brian Woods
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
          Hi Carol,

          Yes, you can delete comments etc. There is also a filter that will
          remove podcasts not marked 'clean' from the directories and search
          results.

          --b

          ---
          Brian Woods