Nicecast as a possible way around latency in the headphones

  • Stephen Chanasyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004
      Been thinking about about the problem of latency and may have stumbled
      on a way around it for the time being.

      Taking Hugo's setup as a starting point and adding Line-In (replacing
      GarageBand) as Dave has done, I plugged in Nicecast as the recording
      part. Now while Nicecast is used for streaming it can also write the
      broadcast to a file (mp3/acc/aiff). You would also set it's server
      broadcast to localhost (basically streaming to nobody). The input
      source would be Soundflower.

      What's so special about this setup is that Nicecast has a number of
      effects, one being for "Auxiliary Device Output" and this turns out to
      be the key. Basically you set it up to play back through your
      headphones and the latency here is almost nil if not there at all.
      There is also a voice over plugin but in this setup (input source is
      the mic) that allows you to set a voice / program mix.

      I even recorded a Skype call (both the audio in and out) but that
      requires even another cog in the contraption - Detour, also by Rogue
      Amoeba, which allows per application routing of sound (routed Skype to
      Soundflower directly).

      One note though, I needed to set the volume on the main Nicecast to
      less then half to avoid a kind of reverb/overdrive in the headphones.

      This is really a case were Rogue Amoeba, if they got their act
      together, could probably provide an all-in-one solution more easily
      then they think (all the parts are there).

      Hope this helps on the recording front.

      cheers
      steve.