Re: Ideas for PodCast Promotion...

  • Scott Frangos
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 4, 2006
      Joe C. Asked: "Any ideas on how to promote a podcast? Virgin Falls is hosted by LibSyn. They are great as far as the service goes, statistics, etc., but they seem to be lacking in the promo department. Anyone? Please help."
      -------------------

      Hello Joe & Group --

      Good question. There seem to be more and more PodCasts out there, and so standing out of the pack is becoming more of a task.

      My thoughts on it, based on 25 years in Advertising and Marketing, are that you've got to first have a budget, then go after a smart mix of advertising buys. Sure, you can do some of it "for free" by listing your show in directories, etc. But if you value your time, even that is not eactly free. Here's a quick outline:

      a) Build a professional site where it is EASY to understand how to download your podcast, or subscribe to it. Make it Search Engine Optimized, and keep it up to date. Pay attention to your Google Pagerank (some good articles on Pagerank here: http://webhelpernow.com/wordpress/?cat=18 | Also, read through this entire article for great tips on SEO and marketing: http://webhelpernow.com/wordpress/?p=122)

      b) Get listed in major directories (there are some good ones listed here: http://www.webwinx.com/links/podcasters/directories/ )

      c) Place PPC (Pay Per Click -- like the small text ads you see on Google) ads at search engines and try online banners, and eNewsletter ads. Banners are not as successful as they once were, but the right banner on the right site can be helpful if, for example, you have a PodCast about dogs, and you place smartly designed banners on high-traffic sites for dog owners, etc.

      d) Have a strategy to keep listeners coming back. Do you have an easy way for them to call your show, if you are looking for listener feedback? Do you have any promotional games/contests for your listeners? (There are some services to facilitate listener calls here: http://www.webwinx.com/links/podcasters/services/ | Here is an article about Recording PodCast Interviews: http://webhelpernow.com/wordpress/?p=147 )

      e) Don't forget a good "offline" ad campaign or two -- try postcards to your target audience (take a look at this company... they do postcards, and email marketing: http://www.verticalresponse.com/ )

      Best of luck and success -
      Scott

      -----------
      Scott Frangos Managing Editor
      PickleZONE.com, WebHelperNow.com
      & http://www.PickleZoneHosting.com
      (2 Reseller Plans: http://www.ResellerHostingDot.com/ )

    • skywrytr
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 4, 2006
        Scott,

        Thanks so much for your e-mail. I will definitely get
        working on some of these. I will be working with my
        business partner this week and present this info. It
        is invaluable!

        Joe Camareno

      • Cindy Moore
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
          I have an idea for a pod cast that will depend on sound quality phone interviews. I have a Mac G5 and Garage Band. I'm going to buy a Shure SM57 mic unless you can recommend something better. What software or hardware do I need for the phone interviews?
          Thanks, Cindy
        • Jake Ludington
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
            > I have an idea for a pod cast that will depend on sound quality phone
            > interviews. I have a Mac G5 and Garage Band. I'm going to buy a Shure SM57
            > mic unless you can recommend something better. What software or hardware
            > do I need for the phone interviews?
            > Thanks, Cindy

            I'm sure you'll see a handful of suggestions for Skype, but in most cases,
            using traditional landlines is far more reliable. A great little piece of
            hardware that works with most phones is this:
            http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?CATID=2031&PRODID=16653

            It will run you about $70 but offers decent quality. The next step up is
            something from Telos in the $500 range.

            For something in a comparable price range, the Sennheizer e835 provides
            better sound quality than the Shure SM57.

            Jake Ludington

            http://www.jakeludington.com
            http://www.hollywoodreviews.com

            Start Podcasting
            http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
          • robert
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
              Jake is correct some will recommend Skype Out - I am one of those some.

              Here is my setup that I use for a skype out call.

              http://www.podcast411.com/mixer.pdf

              If you want to hear what a skype out call recording sounds like -
              here is my recent interview with Ronald Moore - Executive Producer
              and head Writer for the new Battlestar Galactica.

              http://media.libsyn.com/media/podcast411/411_060531.mp3

              The interview starts about 3 minutes in.

              I would recommend this setup over that of a telos system in that you
              can use it to record both skype to skype or Skype out calls and it
              costs less than a telos - but more than the $70 phone adapter Jake
              recommended.

              But the nice thing is you get one setup to do two different types of
              recordings. Skype out and Skype to Skype.

              Also a good skype to skype recording will be better than the best
              phone hybrid recording (that has to do with the bandwidth limitations
              of the Analog phone system). So if you can go skype to skype - that
              will offer the best audio quality next to a double ender.

              Rob @ podCast411

              On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:47 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:

              >> I have an idea for a pod cast that will depend on sound quality phone
              >> interviews. I have a Mac G5 and Garage Band. I'm going to buy a
              >> Shure SM57
              >> mic unless you can recommend something better. What software or
              >> hardware
              >> do I need for the phone interviews?
              >> Thanks, Cindy
              >
              > I'm sure you'll see a handful of suggestions for Skype, but in most
              > cases,
              > using traditional landlines is far more reliable. A great little
              > piece of
              > hardware that works with most phones is this:
              > http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?
              > CATID=2031&PRODID=16653
              >
              > It will run you about $70 but offers decent quality. The next step
              > up is
              > something from Telos in the $500 range.
              >
              > For something in a comparable price range, the Sennheizer e835
              > provides
              > better sound quality than the Shure SM57.
              >
              > Jake Ludington
              >
              > http://www.jakeludington.com
              > http://www.hollywoodreviews.com
              >
              > Start Podcasting
              > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com

              > ~-->
              > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
              > See how.
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/26EolB/TM

            • Anne-Marie Concepcion
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                > A great little piece of
                >hardware that works with most phones is this:
                >http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?CATID=2031&PRODID=16653

                the problem is that it's Windows-only, and Cindy's using a Mac G5...

                AM
              • Scott Parent
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                  I couldn't tell from the item description, but does it separate the callers
                  voice from yours or does it just take a feed from the phone line? In that
                  case I would think that you'd both sound like you are on the phone and that
                  won't sound very good.

                  -Scott
                  AmericanCliche.net

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                    On 6/5/06, Cindy Moore <cinmoore@...> wrote:
                    > I have an idea for a pod cast that will depend on sound quality phone interviews. I have a Mac G5 and Garage Band. I'm going to buy a Shure SM57 mic unless you can recommend something better. What software or hardware do I need for the phone interviews?

                    It sounds like you're asking about two separate things here:

                    1.) The SM57 is a fine microphone, but you can't plug it directly into
                    your computer and get usable sound -- you need a preamp or a mixer.
                    And then you'll need to consider whether to use your computer's line
                    in or a USB or Firewire interface.

                    If you want a simpler solution, and you know you're never going to
                    need more than one mic on your end, you could consider a USB
                    microphone such as the Samson C01U or the Blue Snowball. The Samson
                    costs just a little less than the SM57; the Snowball a little more.
                    Neither is as versatile, but they're easier to use, with near-studio
                    quality in one simple piece. If you do get the SM57 or another studio
                    microphone, you could look for a cheap mixer with USB out. This would
                    also enable you to use Rob Walch's solution for recording Skype calls,
                    as he illustrates it elsewhere in the thread.

                    2.) There are about as many ways to record phone interviews as there
                    are podcasters conducting them. More people seem to favor Skype (or
                    its open source competitor, Gizmo) than direct phone solutions, but
                    methods for recording Skype vary widely. If you want a software-only
                    Mac solution, Audio Hijack Pro is popular, and so is some combination
                    of Line In, Soundflower, and any recording app. Google on "recording
                    skype mac" for a number of solutions.

                    Again, I like Rob Walch's hardware-based solution -- it's reliable
                    (because you're not recording on the computer), it allows very fine
                    control over levels, and it sounds great as evidenced on his Podcast
                    411 podcast. But it's also complex and not cheap. If you're just
                    beginning, you may want to start with a cheap software solution and
                    then work your way up after you're sure that your podcast idea is
                    something you'll keep doing.

                    Good luck!

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Chris McConnell
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                      Hi--

                      For short recordings (say less than 10 minutes), I wonder if Personal Audio
                      Link software will work. It's PC-based software for now. (We hope to have
                      a Mac version, maybe next year.)

                      With PAL, you could call in to your PC from any telephone or cell phone by
                      dialing the standard 10-digit phone number (a dedicated and private number
                      assigned only to your PC). PAL (the software on your PC) will answer your
                      phone call and confirm your identity, because security is important!

                      After passing security, you can give PAL a command like, "Take a note" or
                      "Record an e-mail." PAL will understand your command and reply, "I'm
                      recording now."

                      Then, you simply can talk into your telephone or cell phone, and PAL will
                      record your voice as an MP3 file (at 48 Kbit/sec). To end the recording,
                      you can either hang up or pause for 3-4 seconds. PAL then will save the MP3
                      in Outlook. When you get back to your home or office, it will be waiting
                      for you.

                      Of course you can create and save as many recordings as you like.

                      I'm not sure if this will be suitable for interviews, although if people
                      like how PAL works (as is now), certainly we could build enhancements to
                      make it even better.

                      Just a thought...

                      Chris McConnell

                      Adondo Corporation <http://www.adondo.net/>

                      Call and Talk to Your Own PC

                      Jake is correct some will recommend Skype Out - I am one of those some.

                      Here is my setup that I use for a skype out call.

                      http://www.podcast411.com/mixer.pdf

                      If you want to hear what a skype out call recording sounds like -

                      here is my recent interview with Ronald Moore - Executive Producer

                      and head Writer for the new Battlestar Galactica.

                      http://media.libsyn.com/media/podcast411/411_060531.mp3

                      The interview starts about 3 minutes in.

                      I would recommend this setup over that of a telos system in that you

                      can use it to record both skype to skype or Skype out calls and it

                      costs less than a telos - but more than the $70 phone adapter Jake

                      recommended.

                      But the nice thing is you get one setup to do two different types of

                      recordings. Skype out and Skype to Skype.

                      Also a good skype to skype recording will be better than the best

                      phone hybrid recording (that has to do with the bandwidth limitations

                      of the Analog phone system). So if you can go skype to skype - that

                      will offer the best audio quality next to a double ender.

                      Rob @ podCast411

                      On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:47 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:

                      >> I have an idea for a pod cast that will depend on sound quality phone

                      >> interviews. I have a Mac G5 and Garage Band. I'm going to buy a

                      >> Shure SM57

                      >> mic unless you can recommend something better. What software or

                      >> hardware

                      >> do I need for the phone interviews?

                      >> Thanks, Cindy

                      > I'm sure you'll see a handful of suggestions for Skype, but in most

                      > cases,

                      > using traditional landlines is far more reliable. A great little

                      > piece of

                      > hardware that works with most phones is this:

                      > http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?

                      > CATID=2031&PRODID=16653

                      > It will run you about $70 but offers decent quality. The next step

                      > up is

                      > something from Telos in the $500 range.

                      > For something in a comparable price range, the Sennheizer e835

                      > provides

                      > better sound quality than the Shure SM57.

                      > Jake Ludington

                      > http://www.jakeludington.com

                      > http://www.hollywoodreviews.com

                      > Start Podcasting

                      > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com

                      > ~-->

                      > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.

                      > See how.

                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/26EolB/TM

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • John Havens
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                        Hi,

                        Wondering if people like using Conference Call
                        Services for recording interviews? I've had some
                        success with a company called,
                        www.conferencecallsunlimited.com. They're
                        cheap-12cents per caller per minute, so if you do a
                        recording with two people for ten minutes you're out
                        just $2.40.

                        You get a dedicated conference call line that you can
                        use 24/7 and after you're done with your call you send
                        them a form via email and they give you a link to the
                        MP3 file of your recording in about 24 hours.

                        Sound quality wise, you have to make sure you and your
                        interviewee are on landlines (not cells) and not VOIP.
                        People should also use headsets or handsets (not
                        speakerphone).

                        I highly recommend you do a couple of test runs with
                        this system before recording anything of major value.
                        But it's been handy for me when I've had to do
                        interviews on the fly (even used my cellphone
                        sometimes and the quality was pretty good). You could
                        also record your own voice (if you were away from your
                        microphone) if need be.

                        Hope that helps.

                        John C. Havens
                        www.podcastvisionandvoice.com
                        About.Com Guide to Podcasting

                        --- Chris McConnell <Chris.McConnell@...>

                        === message truncated ===
                      • Pat Cook (Pat's Podcast)
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                          Hi everyone:

                          On 6/5/06, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

                          > > I have an idea for a pod cast that will depend on sound quality phone
                          > > interviews. I have a Mac G5 and Garage Band. I'm going to buy a Shure
                          > SM57
                          > > mic unless you can recommend something better. What software or hardware
                          > > do I need for the phone interviews?
                          > > Thanks, Cindy
                          >
                          > I'm sure you'll see a handful of suggestions for Skype, but in most cases,
                          > using traditional landlines is far more reliable.

                          Jake, I'm not sure you're even aware of this, but anyone can Skype out to
                          traditional landlines, which is just as reliable because the person on the
                          phone isn't going through the Internet first.

                          Just my $.02 worth :)

                          --
                          > Pat Cook
                          > patspodcast@... (FEEDBACK EMAIL)
                          > Denver, Colorado
                          > PAT'S PODCAST PAGE - http://www.freewebtown.com/patspodcast2 (NEW URL!!)
                          > PAT'S PODCAST RSS FEED - http://feeds.feedburner.com/PatsPodcast
                          > PAT'S PODCAST & VIDEO BLOG MESSAGE BOARD -
                          > http://patspodcast.proboards36.com/
                          > SKYPE ME @ patspodcast

                        • Joel Haasnoot
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                            There are also free services that do this :)... Check the mailing list
                            archive. And, yes, someone needs to make a good FAQ about this (that'd be me
                            :)), because recording frok Skype is the most frequently asked question, by
                            far, other than "How do I create an RSS Feed?".

                            Joel

                            --
                            <=>< <=>< <=><
                            Joel Haasnoot
                            > Host of the TG^3 Review
                            > Geek & Programmer

                          • Jake Ludington
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 5, 2006
                              > Jake, I'm not sure you're even aware of this, but anyone can Skype out to
                              > traditional landlines, which is just as reliable because the person on the
                              > phone isn't going through the Internet first.

                              How exactly do they not hit the Internet first? You're still dialing from a
                              PC, passing through some kind of IP routing and then handing off to a
                              landline. There's still the potential for network congestion or an app to
                              freeze up your computer. And then there's the hurdle of making sure
                              everything works on both ends and/or explaining to a non-technical user how
                              Skype works.

                              I know Rob lives in a parallel universe where Skype never fails, but in the
                              Seattle reality, the entire lot of the VoIP solutions generate enough lag
                              that it's like talking to someone on a bad cell phone connection.

                              Don't get me wrong - I like Skype for what it's good at. The call quality is
                              better when everything works, but everything doesn't always work. I've been
                              using analog phones for almost 30 years and I've never once had to reboot my
                              phone. The only time I've ever had an analog phone fail was when a tree fell
                              on the wire running from a pole to the demark on my house. That's better
                              than six 9s QoS. In general, I reboot my Skype phone (Windows and/or Mac
                              computer) at least once every three days sometimes more. The call quality
                              difference isn't significant enough to make me switch to Skype at this
                              point.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                Jake is correct that the QoS for connection reliability is much
                                better on an Analog phone system.

                                But the QoS for Audio quality when compared to a good skype
                                connection is far worse.

                                Yes Skype drops out more than a regular phone call. I have done over
                                a hundred skype interviews most skype to skype, some skype out. I
                                have not had any of the skype out calls drop on me (knock on wood).

                                I have had skype to skype calls drop on me - but that was more an
                                issue with older versions of skype than the most recent version - I
                                have had a lot of success with skype the past 6 months with almost no
                                drops, other than when I talked to someone that was having issues on
                                their end with the internet.

                                Rule of thumb - Do not use skype with wifi any where near a microwave
                                oven - it will knock you off line - especially if the microwave is
                                between you and the base station.

                                Go to www.internetfrog.com and check you upload and download speeds.
                                If your upload speed is less than 100 kbps and/or your download speed
                                is less than 1 Mbps - you may have some issues.

                                And make sure you do not have a bittorrent client running in the
                                background. As a matter of fact - the less things you have running
                                the better skype (or any VoIP software) works.

                                If you have a really important skype interview - you may even want to
                                restart the computer before the interview to make sure nothing else
                                is running in the background.

                                Are all of these extra steps a pain - compared to just picking up the
                                phone - Yes - But the results are well worth the extra work.

                                It just matters if you want the best Audio Quality possible for the
                                interview or if you are ok with just understandable audio.

                                Personally I do not think I live in a parallel universe - just one
                                where I want the best audio possible for my listeners.

                                Rob @ podCast411

                                On Jun 6, 2006, at 1:50 AM, Jake Ludington wrote:

                                > I know Rob lives in a parallel universe where Skype never fails,
                                > but in the
                                > Seattle reality, the entire lot of the VoIP solutions generate
                                > enough lag
                                > that it's like talking to someone on a bad cell phone connection.
                                >
                                > Don't get me wrong - I like Skype for what it's good at. The call
                                > quality is
                                > better when everything works, but everything doesn't always work.
                                > I've been
                                > using analog phones for almost 30 years and I've never once had to
                                > reboot my
                                > phone. The only time I've ever had an analog phone fail was when a
                                > tree fell
                                > on the wire running from a pole to the demark on my house. That's
                                > better
                                > than six 9s QoS. In general, I reboot my Skype phone (Windows and/
                                > or Mac
                                > computer) at least once every three days sometimes more. The call
                                > quality
                                > difference isn't significant enough to make me switch to Skype at this
                                > point.
                                >
                                > Jake Ludington
                                >
                                > http://www.jakeludington.com
                                > http://www.hollywoodreviews.com
                                >
                                > Start Podcasting
                                > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com

                              • Jeff Meyer
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                  phone interviews....................KISS...........(keep it simple sir) you
                                  can't beat a decent speaker phone sitting in front of a condensor mike.
                                  Check out this certain show of mine to hear how it sounds

                                  http://goodbeershow.com/?p=105

                                  JeffreyT

                                  On 6/6/06, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

                                  > > Jake, I'm not sure you're even aware of this, but anyone can Skype out
                                  > > traditional landlines, which is just as reliable because the person on
                                  > the
                                  > > phone isn't going through the Internet first.
                                  >
                                  > How exactly do they not hit the Internet first? You're still dialing from
                                  > PC, passing through some kind of IP routing and then handing off to a
                                  > landline. There's still the potential for network congestion or an app to
                                  > freeze up your computer. And then there's the hurdle of making sure
                                  > everything works on both ends and/or explaining to a non-technical user
                                  > how
                                  > Skype works.
                                  >
                                  > I know Rob lives in a parallel universe where Skype never fails, but in
                                  > the
                                  > Seattle reality, the entire lot of the VoIP solutions generate enough lag
                                  > that it's like talking to someone on a bad cell phone connection.
                                  >
                                  > Don't get me wrong - I like Skype for what it's good at. The call quality
                                  > is
                                  > better when everything works, but everything doesn't always work. I've
                                  > been
                                  > using analog phones for almost 30 years and I've never once had to reboot
                                  > my
                                  > phone. The only time I've ever had an analog phone fail was when a tree
                                  > fell
                                  > on the wire running from a pole to the demark on my house. That's better
                                  > than six 9s QoS. In general, I reboot my Skype phone (Windows and/or Mac
                                  > computer) at least once every three days sometimes more. The call quality
                                  > difference isn't significant enough to make me switch to Skype at this
                                  > point.
                                  >

                                  > Jake Ludington
                                  >
                                  > http://www.jakeludington.com
                                  > http://www.hollywoodreviews.com
                                  >
                                  > Start Podcasting
                                  > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com

                                  --
                                  http://goodbeershow.com
                                  "The Good Beer Show"

                                • Jeff Meyer
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                    clarification the show which I used the condensor and speaker phone is this

                                    http://goodbeershow.com/?p=104

                                    not the forementioned

                                    JeffreyT

                                    --
                                    http://goodbeershow.com
                                    "The Good Beer Show"

                                  • Cindy Moore
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                      Wow, you guys are world of information. I'm going to get the Studio Condenser Mic.
                                      I am listening to Jeffery T's pod cast. If the conversation going right now is a mic and a speaker phone, I'm impressed. I also wonder what speaker phone you are using. Everyone I've used sounded like you were down in a well.

                                      I should clarify some other things too.
                                      I have a land line that has unlimited long distance so I don't see how Skype can benefit me unless it does something other than offer free long distance.
                                      My interviews will probably be 30 minutes to an hour.
                                      It's not a music cast.

                                      Back to Jeffery's suggestion. Let me see if I understand this. If I buy the Studio Condenser Mic and a good quality speaker phone, all I have to do is hook the Mic to my Mac G5 and I can record using software like Garage Band (which I have) and create my podcast.

                                      Is it that simple, or am I missing something?

                                      Cindy

                                    • robert
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                          On 6/6/06, Cindy Moore <cinmoore@...> wrote:

                                          > Back to Jeffery's suggestion. Let me see if I understand this. If I buy the Studio Condenser Mic and a good quality speaker phone, all I have to do is hook the Mic to my Mac G5 and I can record using software like Garage Band (which I have) and create my podcast.

                                          No.

                                          First: "studio condenser mic" isn't a brand name, it's a *type* of
                                          microphone which includes scores of microphones ranging from $50 to
                                          $5,000. He hasn't told you specifically which microphone to buy.

                                          Second: as I said earlier, you can't plug a studio microphone directly
                                          into your computer. You need a mixer or preamp. A condenser mic in
                                          particular won't work without phantom power, which your computer won't
                                          give it. That's why I said it wasn't a simple solution.

                                          Third: I skipped through the audio in the link Jeff posted and I
                                          didn't hear anything that sounded like a phone call in it. Jeff,
                                          could you tell us at what minute the phone conversation begins? It's
                                          certainly not at the beginning.

                                          Fourth: Use common sense. You know what a speakerphone sounds like.
                                          If you conduct interviews by pointing a microphone at a speakerphone,
                                          it's going to sound like a speakerphone. It may be legible and it may
                                          be easy, but it's not going to give you great sound. If it were that
                                          simple, nobody would sell those expensive hybrid systems.

                                          Fifth: Rather than blindly following the advice of *any* random
                                          stranger on the Internet (including me), you'll do much better to
                                          educate yourself about basic sound equipment and make an informed
                                          decision based on your specific needs. There are some great books
                                          about podcasting which'll give you clear information about
                                          microphones, mixers, and yes, recording phone interviews. Two of my
                                          favorites are _Podcast Solutions_ and _Podcasting for Dummies_.

                                          Learn what you can, and form a plan for your show. If you just do
                                          what somebody else tells you without understanding why, you won't know
                                          how to evaluate the results nor how to improve on them.

                                          http://www.escapepod.org
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                            On 6/6/06, Jeff Meyer <jeffreytmeyer@...> wrote:
                                            > clarification the show which I used the condensor and speaker phone is this
                                            >
                                            > http://goodbeershow.com/?p=104

                                            Ah, that explains *that* mystery. Yahoo! isn't giving me the emails
                                            in order again. >8->

                                            Anyway, this reaffirms what I said: if you do interviews by pointing a
                                            microphone at a speakerphone, it's going to sound like a speakerphone.
                                            It's clear enough, but if you compare it with other podcasts or radio
                                            shows that capture phone interviews directly there's a definite sound
                                            difference. No magic answers here.

                                            http://www.escapepod.org
                                          • Jefffrey T. Meyer
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Moore <cinmoore@...> wrote:

                                              > Wow, you guys are world of information. I'm going to get the Studio
                                              Condenser Mic.
                                              > I am listening to Jeffery T's pod cast. If the conversation going
                                              right now is a mic and a speaker phone, I'm impressed. I also wonder
                                              what speaker phone you are using. Everyone I've used sounded like you
                                              were down in a well.

                                              > I should clarify some other things too.
                                              > I have a land line that has unlimited long distance so I don't see
                                              how Skype can benefit me unless it does something other than offer
                                              free long distance.
                                              > My interviews will probably be 30 minutes to an hour.
                                              > It's not a music cast.
                                              >
                                              > Back to Jeffery's suggestion. Let me see if I understand this. If I
                                              buy the Studio Condenser Mic and a good quality speaker phone, all I
                                              have to do is hook the Mic to my Mac G5 and I can record using
                                              software like Garage Band (which I have) and create my podcast.

                                              > Is it that simple, or am I missing something?
                                              >
                                              > Cindy

                                              I use a mxl 990 condensor

                                              http://goodbeershow.com/showpics/v/76GBS/GBS76+010.jpg.html

                                              and a small peavy mixer that supplys 48v phantom power to the mic

                                              http://goodbeershow.com/showpics/v/Show-46/HPIM0438.jpg.html

                                              It was just a run-of-the-mill speaker phone that was part of my
                                              girlfriend's cordless, answering machine. It sit right in front of
                                              the mic and I talked over-the-phone and into the mic.

                                              JeffreyT
                                            • Cindy Moore
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                                I just ordered Podcasts for Dummies right before reading your email. Thanks. Cindy
                                              • Evo Terra
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                                  Cindy Moore wrote:
                                                  > I just ordered Podcasts for Dummies right before reading your email.
                                                  > Thanks. Cindy

                                                  Hooray! Steve? Your $0.16 commission check is in the mail.

                                                  E.

                                                  --
                                                  Evo Terra | DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com
                                                • thepicklezone
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                                                    > 2.) There are about as many ways to record phone interviews as there
                                                    > are podcasters conducting them. More people seem to favor Skype (or
                                                    > its open source competitor, Gizmo) than direct phone solutions, but
                                                    > methods for recording Skype vary widely. If you want a software-only
                                                    > Mac solution, Audio Hijack Pro is popular, and so is some combination
                                                    > of Line In, Soundflower, and any recording app. Google on "recording
                                                    > skype mac" for a number of solutions.

                                                    Hello Stephen & Group --

                                                    Phone Interview Services; There is a good comparison of such services at:
                                                    http://www.webwinx.com/links/podcasters/services/

                                                    NEED CALLERS? We're getting set to launch our PodCasters' Directory
                                                    (at http://www.webwinx.com/links/podcasters/) this summer, and need to
                                                    hear from PodCasters who need callers to their shows. We'll reward a
                                                    FREE ad, to the first SEVEN PodCasters who contact me at
                                                    podcasters@..., and give us a paragraph about your show, plus
                                                    a short description of the type of callers you are seeking (ie. "tech
                                                    savvy", entrepreurs, etc.), and we will place your listing in our
                                                    directory for six months.

                                                    Yours -
                                                    Scott
                                                    Scott Frangos, Managing Editor
                                                    WebHelperNow.com, WebWinX.com
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 6, 2006
                                                      On 6/6/06, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hooray! Steve? Your $0.16 commission check is in the mail.

                                                      Joy! I'm CC:ing my family to tell them to postpone the lottery. With
                                                      so much extra income, none of us will have to be eaten this month.

                                                      http://www.escapepod.org