Re: Shoutouts: FireAnt & Odeo

  • dave_r_riley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:

      > Ooops. You are correct. The function is called "Save As".
      > Same thing, different name. My mistake.
      >
      > -Josh

      I'm hearing ya. It works fine. I see that I can bulk transfer/synch.

      Another thing too, I've been exploring your Yahoo search option -- a
      lot of fun to grab some video or audio so quickly and then I can play
      it quick with PREVIEW.

      I've been grabbing the kids and showing them what this toy can do.

      I also indicate that you push the bar with mutimedia and I'm trying to
      work out how best to approach, as a podcaster, this optionality you
      offer. You are making text> audio > video potentially a seamless
      integrated process such that blogging and audioblogging and vlogging
      become related in the way some sites -- but not really that many --
      are currently engaged for theie audience. The habit is to separate
      these different mediums into different feeds,or functions, although
      vid and audio tend to be clumped together on the one feed when they
      are both utilized by the initiating podcaster.

      As you know, iTunes is a dead letter when it comes to text or
      referring back to the source web site. And with iTunes forget full
      show notes capability.

      You've got a great tool there and I think it transcends everything
      else I've used in the podcatcher department.

      dave riley
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
        I know the african toad sounds like a defective pump motor but have you even
        tried licking one of their backs?

        On 6/1/06 9:53 PM, "dave_r_riley" <dhell2@...> wrote:

        > And besides we don't
        > much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]

        http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

        / / \ \ \ \
        / / / \ \ \ \ \
        / / \/ O O \ \
        / / / \/ O\ \ \/
        / / \/ \
        \/ \/ \
        \/ \
        __o \/ \
        `\<,_ \/ \
        (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
          "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:
          >This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
          >corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
          >folder for each channel.

          eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
          absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
          exactly that way for a reason.

          Nicole

          --
          blog (d): http://beissholz.de
          blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org

          conference podcasts and more:
          http://bloxpert.com

          Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
          http://media-slaves.com/
        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
            > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
            > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
            > exactly that way for a reason.

            Not always. You'd be surprised. People often use file uploading
            services that will name files with a random hash string. Sometimes
            people will name all their files the exact same thing (even though
            they are different media files), but have them in separate directories
            so that the URL is different but the filename is the same.

            Unfortunately there is wide variation such that it can be difficult to
            design a system that works 100% of the time... and even if it does,
            that may not be how people want to use it.

            -josh

            On 6/4/06, Nicole Simon <nisi@...> wrote:
            > "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:
            > >This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
            > >corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
            > >folder for each channel.
            >
            > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
            > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
            > exactly that way for a reason.
            >
            > Nicole
            >

            > --
            > blog (d): http://beissholz.de
            > blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org
            > podcast (e): http://useful-sounds.de
            >
            > conference podcasts and more:
            > http://bloxpert.com
            >
            > Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
            > http://media-slaves.com/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • andrew clarke
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
              On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 06:46:18PM -0700, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

              > > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
              > > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
              > > exactly that way for a reason.
              >
              > Not always. You'd be surprised. People often use file uploading
              > services that will name files with a random hash string. Sometimes
              > people will name all their files the exact same thing (even though
              > they are different media files), but have them in separate directories
              > so that the URL is different but the filename is the same.
              >
              > Unfortunately there is wide variation such that it can be difficult to
              > design a system that works 100% of the time... and even if it does,
              > that may not be how people want to use it.

              This is also the same reason that put me off using FireAnt. At least
              provide an option to turn off the feature that locally renames files,
              perhaps on a per-feed basis.

              I now use PeaPod...