Re: [podcasters] Shoutouts: FireAnt & Odeo

  • Joshua Kinberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hey Dave,

      Thanks for the plug here! I'm one of the developers of FireAnt.
      I'll try to respond below...

      > But I've now discovered FIREANT
      > http://fireant.tv/

      Hey, Thanks!

      > FIREANT is projected as a vlogging tool but it is so responsive that
      > it captures all media -- such that you can relate to your feeds both
      > as blogs/text (and formatted show notes) and as an enclosure for other
      > media -- audio and video.With FireAnt you can access the show notes,
      > read intoductory summaries of all media on offer, play media or read
      > text; click for optional preferences for downloading each feed...AND
      > clean up/delete read/played media from the same desktop tool interface.

      Coming first from the world of blogging, we always felt it was very
      important to keep the whole RSS data structure together. Its not just
      a video or audio file, but an object that includes meta-info and
      hypertext.

      Also, one of the reasons FireAnt is particularly suited for video is
      that it plays back nearly any video format, including Quicktime,
      Windows Media, Real, Flash, DivX, MP4. It also supports BitTorrent
      downloads and Streaming.

      > I can't synch to my Mp3 player with FireAnt as the project is still
      > in development even though the templates seem to be there. But then I
      > have to use my iRiver programs for that now anyway.

      We're working on imporving the synching functionality and the next
      version will have much better support for a variety of devices. It
      will also be able to transcode video for playback on a selected target
      device.

      MP3s are much easier to deal with than video though. If you are using
      the iRiver, you should be able to "sync" to it just like copying files
      onto an external memory card. In FireAnt's Library, you can
      right-click a file and select "Copy To" to save it to any desired
      location.

      > Another quirk is that the downloaded feeds aren't stored in separate
      > folders so synching can get messy if you have a lot of media to sort
      > through --and this media may be stored on your podcast folder with
      > annoying file names like:
      >
      > 5AD29FB1980D76EB0D32777BE8583AEB8DAFAC2E.Mp3

      This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
      corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
      folder for each channel.

      > Although the ID3 tags aren't affected by this when you read them in
      > your players, or in FireAnt itself. However, your synch tools may read
      > some files -- but not all -- like that.So it can be potluck sometimes
      > as to what you are transferring to your device once the file is
      > downloaded.

      Yep, that's a problem. Hopefully this next release will make some
      improvements there. Please stay tuned.

      > But if you wanted to trial FIREANT -- it's an easy business to import
      > your iTunes feeds across and experiment.

      Thanks for the plug. And if you do check it out, please let us know
      about your experience so that we can continue to make FireAnt better.

      > Don't worry too much about relating to FireAnt's directory of podcasts
      > on the web as the site is cumbersome with an unreliable search engine
      > geared primarily to video -- but the downloadable podcatcher is
      > something else.

      Our website is also undergoing a massive overhaul. Expect more here in
      the future. We are currently implementing a much more powerful and
      robust search engine. It is geared more towards video though...
      perhaps we should consider changing this?

      > The FAQs aren't very helpful but there is a sparse Community Wiki at:
      > http://help.antisnottv.net/index.php/Main_Page

      Improving the FAQs is also on the agenda. Its a little tough since
      we're still in beta and its kind of a moving target. Expect things to
      change. Also, that wiki is outdated and should probably be taken down.

      > and the Yahoo FireAnt discussion groups unfortunately seem only open
      > to developers(but you can earsdrop).

      Our FireAnt user groups are open to anyone, though they are entry by
      moderator approval. We discuss issues, respond to feedback, and
      occasionally release new versions of the software there early for
      testing. Please join. We welcome your feedback:

      Thanks again!

      -Josh

      http://FireAnt.tv
    • dave_r_riley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
        Thanks Josh, I didn't expect a response from the FireAnt's mouth...[By
        the way, where I live here in Australia those nasty little bitey ants
        have recently jumped ship and it's war in the trenches and ant
        mounds...Kill 'em! Kill em ! Kill all the South-American-via-Texas
        ants! because we kinda apprciate out outdoor bar b ques and the flies
        are the only insect we've learnt to put up with! And besides we don't
        much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]

        However, on this:

        > MP3s are much easier to deal with than video though. If you are using
        > the iRiver, you should be able to "sync" to it just like copying files
        > onto an external memory card. In FireAnt's Library, you can
        > right-click a file and select "Copy To" to save it to any desired
        > location.

        No. There's no "Copy To" option that way that I can find. Other
        options 'right-click' are available like "Save As" --- but no "Copy To"...

        Anyway, there's one other feature of FireAnt that I really
        appreciate--and that's its natty clicklet. You can set one of these up
        anytime by visiting the FireAnt website and getting the HTML that when
        clicked offers the visitor to your site the option of downloading
        FireAnt the way boutique versions of Lemon are offered with your feed
        already included in the package (or at least I assume thats' what is
        on offer). By combining a feed subscription with a podcatcher -- this
        must be one of the most accessible tools for those who come upon your
        site and are interested in listening to podcasts for the first time
        with their own free download aggregator.

        Remember that folks -- the day you downloaded your first podcatcher!
        Hmmm...brings tears to the eyes it does.

        dave riley
        ratbagradio@...

        PS: By the way, I got onto FireAnt after a recommendation on OurMedia.
        I hadn't found it referenced elsewhere.
      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
          > No. There's no "Copy To" option that way that I can find. Other
          > options 'right-click' are available like "Save As" --- but no "Copy To"...

          Ooops. You are correct. The function is called "Save As".
          Same thing, different name. My mistake.

          -Josh

          On 6/1/06, dave_r_riley <dhell2@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Josh, I didn't expect a response from the FireAnt's mouth...[By
          > the way, where I live here in Australia those nasty little bitey ants
          > have recently jumped ship and it's war in the trenches and ant
          > mounds...Kill 'em! Kill em ! Kill all the South-American-via-Texas
          > ants! because we kinda apprciate out outdoor bar b ques and the flies
          > are the only insect we've learnt to put up with! And besides we don't
          > much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]
          >
          > However, on this:
          >
          > > MP3s are much easier to deal with than video though. If you are using
          > > the iRiver, you should be able to "sync" to it just like copying files
          > > onto an external memory card. In FireAnt's Library, you can
          > > right-click a file and select "Copy To" to save it to any desired
          > > location.
          >
          > No. There's no "Copy To" option that way that I can find. Other
          > options 'right-click' are available like "Save As" --- but no "Copy To"...
          >

          > Anyway, there's one other feature of FireAnt that I really
          > appreciate--and that's its natty clicklet. You can set one of these up
          > anytime by visiting the FireAnt website and getting the HTML that when
          > clicked offers the visitor to your site the option of downloading
          > FireAnt the way boutique versions of Lemon are offered with your feed
          > already included in the package (or at least I assume thats' what is
          > on offer). By combining a feed subscription with a podcatcher -- this
          > must be one of the most accessible tools for those who come upon your
          > site and are interested in listening to podcasts for the first time
          > with their own free download aggregator.
          >
          > Remember that folks -- the day you downloaded your first podcatcher!
          > Hmmm...brings tears to the eyes it does.
          >
          > dave riley
          > ratbagradio@...
          >
          > PS: By the way, I got onto FireAnt after a recommendation on OurMedia.
          > I hadn't found it referenced elsewhere.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dave_r_riley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:

            > Ooops. You are correct. The function is called "Save As".
            > Same thing, different name. My mistake.
            >
            > -Josh

            I'm hearing ya. It works fine. I see that I can bulk transfer/synch.

            Another thing too, I've been exploring your Yahoo search option -- a
            lot of fun to grab some video or audio so quickly and then I can play
            it quick with PREVIEW.

            I've been grabbing the kids and showing them what this toy can do.

            I also indicate that you push the bar with mutimedia and I'm trying to
            work out how best to approach, as a podcaster, this optionality you
            offer. You are making text> audio > video potentially a seamless
            integrated process such that blogging and audioblogging and vlogging
            become related in the way some sites -- but not really that many --
            are currently engaged for theie audience. The habit is to separate
            these different mediums into different feeds,or functions, although
            vid and audio tend to be clumped together on the one feed when they
            are both utilized by the initiating podcaster.

            As you know, iTunes is a dead letter when it comes to text or
            referring back to the source web site. And with iTunes forget full
            show notes capability.

            You've got a great tool there and I think it transcends everything
            else I've used in the podcatcher department.

            dave riley
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
              I know the african toad sounds like a defective pump motor but have you even
              tried licking one of their backs?

              On 6/1/06 9:53 PM, "dave_r_riley" <dhell2@...> wrote:

              > And besides we don't
              > much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]

              http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

              / / \ \ \ \
              / / / \ \ \ \ \
              / / \/ O O \ \
              / / / \/ O\ \ \/
              / / \/ \
              \/ \/ \
              \/ \
              __o \/ \
              `\<,_ \/ \
              (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
            • Nicole Simon
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                >This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
                >corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
                >folder for each channel.

                eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                exactly that way for a reason.

                Nicole

                --
                blog (d): http://beissholz.de
                blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org

                conference podcasts and more:
                http://bloxpert.com

                Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
                http://media-slaves.com/
              • Joshua Kinberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                  > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                  > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                  > exactly that way for a reason.

                  Not always. You'd be surprised. People often use file uploading
                  services that will name files with a random hash string. Sometimes
                  people will name all their files the exact same thing (even though
                  they are different media files), but have them in separate directories
                  so that the URL is different but the filename is the same.

                  Unfortunately there is wide variation such that it can be difficult to
                  design a system that works 100% of the time... and even if it does,
                  that may not be how people want to use it.

                  -josh

                  On 6/4/06, Nicole Simon <nisi@...> wrote:
                  > "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                  > >This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
                  > >corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
                  > >folder for each channel.
                  >
                  > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                  > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                  > exactly that way for a reason.
                  >
                  > Nicole
                  >

                  > --
                  > blog (d): http://beissholz.de
                  > blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org
                  > podcast (e): http://useful-sounds.de
                  >
                  > conference podcasts and more:
                  > http://bloxpert.com
                  >
                  > Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
                  > http://media-slaves.com/
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • andrew clarke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                    On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 06:46:18PM -0700, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

                    > > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                    > > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                    > > exactly that way for a reason.
                    >
                    > Not always. You'd be surprised. People often use file uploading
                    > services that will name files with a random hash string. Sometimes
                    > people will name all their files the exact same thing (even though
                    > they are different media files), but have them in separate directories
                    > so that the URL is different but the filename is the same.
                    >
                    > Unfortunately there is wide variation such that it can be difficult to
                    > design a system that works 100% of the time... and even if it does,
                    > that may not be how people want to use it.

                    This is also the same reason that put me off using FireAnt. At least
                    provide an option to turn off the feature that locally renames files,
                    perhaps on a per-feed basis.

                    I now use PeaPod...