Kirby Dick on MPAA ratings and fair use

  • Jake Ludington
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2006
      I'm doing a series of interviews with directors at the Seattle International
      Film Festival this year. One that may be of particular interest to
      podcasters and others doing indie content is the interview I just posted
      with Kirby Dick. His latest documentary, This Film is not yet Rated, is
      something of an expose on the MPAA ratings board. The interview talks about
      his findings in the ratings process and the last 3-5 minutes of the
      interview is dedicated to how fair use made it possible for him to use film
      clips from MPAA member companies without needing their permission to do so.

      Jake Ludington

      http://www.jakeludington.com

      Hollywood Reviews Podcast
      http://siff.hollywoodreviews.com

      Start Podcasting
      http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
    • Jake Ludington
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2006
        > I'm doing a series of interviews with directors at the Seattle

        > International

        > Film Festival this year. One that may be of particular interest to

        > podcasters and others doing indie content is the interview I just posted

        > with Kirby Dick. His latest documentary, This Film is not yet Rated, is

        > something of an expose on the MPAA ratings board. The interview talks

        > about

        > his findings in the ratings process and the last 3-5 minutes of the

        > interview is dedicated to how fair use made it possible for him to use

        > film

        > clips from MPAA member companies without needing their permission to do

        > so.

        Heh, I left off the link:

        http://siff.hollywoodreviews.com/interviews/kirby_dick_on_this_film_is_not.p
        html

        Jake Ludington

        http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>

        Start Podcasting

        http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

      • dave_r_riley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
          This podcasting lark seems to offer so many permutations as the
          envelope is tested and edged forward.

          I'd like to raise a couple of attributes of the present podcast
          culture that I think are exciting from the POV of my experience of
          them-- and I'm no geek as I'm still ruled by ignorance.

          1) FIREANT:
          Everyone must have there own personal preferences when it comes to
          podcatcher programs. I like to have a lot of control over what I
          download, I want to review as much information as I can garner about
          what's on offer from each Mp3 file and I want to clean up easily. So I
          went from Juice to iTunes and then downloaded and tried a few of the
          others on offer.

          iTunes carried a lot of the attributes I was after but it was so
          cumbersome and temperamental especially with the weight of the
          invasive Music Store bearing down on the program --despite the easy
          control it offered me over my subscriptions.

          But I've now discovered FIREANT
          http://fireant.tv/

          FIREANT is projected as a vlogging tool but it is so responsive that
          it captures all media -- such that you can relate to your feeds both
          as blogs/text (and formatted show notes)and as an enclosure for other
          media -- audio and video.With FireAnt you can access the show notes,
          read intoductory summaries of all media on offer, play media or read
          text; click for optional preferences for downloading each feed...AND
          clean up/delete read/played media from the same desktop tool interface.

          I can't synch to my Mp3 player with FireAnt as the project is still
          in development even though the templates seem to be there. But then I
          have to use my iRiver programs for that now anyway.

          Another quirk is that the downloaded feeds aren't stored in separate
          folders so synching can get messy if you have a lot of media to sort
          through --and this media may be stored on your podcast folder with
          annoying file names like:

          5AD29FB1980D76EB0D32777BE8583AEB8DAFAC2E.Mp3

          Although the ID3 tags aren't affected by this when you read them in
          your players, or in FireAnt itself. However, your synch tools may read
          some files -- but not all -- like that.So it can be potluck sometimes
          as to what you are transferring to your device once the file is
          downloaded.

          But if you wanted to trial FIREANT -- it's an easy business to import
          your iTunes feeds across and experiment.

          Don't worry too much about relating to FireAnt's directory of podcasts
          on the web as the site is cumbersome with an unreliable search engine
          geared primarily to video -- but the downloadable podcatcher is
          something else.

          So drop the big iTunes gorilla for a spell and explore FireAnt.

          The FAQs aren't very helpful but there is a sparse Community Wiki at:
          http://help.antisnottv.net/index.php/Main_Page
          and the Yahoo FireAnt discussion groups unfortunately seem only open
          to developers(but you can earsdrop).

          2)ODEO
          I've written about the Odeo commentary option before. I also searched
          this forum for previous exchanges about Odeo without much success as
          the Yahoo search keeps timing out.

          However, Odeo --which is now at two localities:
          LISTEN(Directory): http://odeo.com/
          and
          ODEO STUDIO(Create): http://studio.odeo.com/create
          warrants a lot of attention.

          Odeo has so many attributes that should enthrall podcasters -- free
          housing of files with one click upload being top of the list. I
          consider that Odeo is the very best way to begin in podcasting as the
          recording interface is so easy to relate to. On one site you get all
          you need to start podcasting for free. And you can record for up to 60
          minutes at a time. All you need is a mic for your computer.

          I'm sorry I myself did not start out the Odeo way -- 10 months back.
          My journey would have been a lot easier.

          For those who already own and produce a podcast, Odeo offers use of
          their great flash players which can be imbedded on any web site
          WITHOUT disrupting or influencing the site's RSS/XML feed. You can
          pull any Mp3 file into any of your podcasts and by default be offered
          an alternative feed to the one you may already possess. (But of course
          other websites also offer that).

          In fact you can do a lot with your audio on Odeo except edit it. I now
          produce four (and one half!) podcasts and I value the way Odeo lets me
          mix and match the different audio files I produce(both on my own
          desktop and with the Odeo Studio) and share the audio between my
          podcasting web sites without having to integrate the feeds.

          I also use Odeo to refer people to my archive.

          Unfortunately the only way to relate to Odeo and get to understand its
          'eccentricities' (or its 'lateral conceptualising')is to sign on and
          put it to work. Claiming feeds is a real hassle and I wouldn't rely on
          your Odeo feed as your core RSS as it can take so long for it to
          update. But as a beginner's exercise this is a great way to start.

          Jesse Thorn puts Odeo to good use on his TSOYA site:
          http://tsoya.blogspot.com/
          as it's a great way to combine media and text

          However, after recording audio on Odeo it can be a pain to actually
          discover the page where your SAVED media is stored. This is not an
          easy site to navigate around -- or understand in way of DIY and FAQ
          -- as it's so different in the way it does business. Someone needs to
          write the text -- "Odeo for Dummies" --as it's a hard learning curve
          in way of harnassing all the attributes.

          While audio recorded on Odeo or uploaded directly as podcasts will
          be stored for free; when these files are downloaded (and only when
          they are downloaded as podcasts)to a Mp3 player, they will lead in
          with a short Odeo introductory promo. Thats' no big issue really
          especially when your audio is a standard 128 kbps Stereo / 44kHz for
          free....

          But if you establish your podcasting activities in partnership with
          Odeo -- and the "Send an audio comment " via recordable audio is
          worth the sign up alone --

          such as this: http://odeo.com/sendmeamessage/RatbagRadio

          -- theres' a lot of bells and whistles on hand that you can put to work.

          I approached Odeo from Blogger (which is still my RSS feed generator
          and website host)and I gather that Odeo is a development in way of
          audioblogging -- founced by a ex Blogger initiator.

          As I get to master the operations more, it does have that same sort of
          interface which lends itself to exploring and hacking in the way
          Blogger is so adapatable (and I guess I've set up 20 blogs on Blogger
          over the past three years). But I'm surprized that podcasting
          commentator's aren't talking about Odeo.

          As I suggest, I would recommend that people also generate their feed
          separately -- as I do with Blogger and Feedburner--& not rely on the
          Odeo feed alone -- but it is a mutually useful relationship you can
          get going by exploiting both platforms.

          All we need now is to someone to write the complete Odeo DIY users
          manual in easy to follow steps and the world would be a better
          place... for podcasters.

          dave riley
        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
            Hey Dave,

            Thanks for the plug here! I'm one of the developers of FireAnt.
            I'll try to respond below...

            > But I've now discovered FIREANT
            > http://fireant.tv/

            Hey, Thanks!

            > FIREANT is projected as a vlogging tool but it is so responsive that
            > it captures all media -- such that you can relate to your feeds both
            > as blogs/text (and formatted show notes) and as an enclosure for other
            > media -- audio and video.With FireAnt you can access the show notes,
            > read intoductory summaries of all media on offer, play media or read
            > text; click for optional preferences for downloading each feed...AND
            > clean up/delete read/played media from the same desktop tool interface.

            Coming first from the world of blogging, we always felt it was very
            important to keep the whole RSS data structure together. Its not just
            a video or audio file, but an object that includes meta-info and
            hypertext.

            Also, one of the reasons FireAnt is particularly suited for video is
            that it plays back nearly any video format, including Quicktime,
            Windows Media, Real, Flash, DivX, MP4. It also supports BitTorrent
            downloads and Streaming.

            > I can't synch to my Mp3 player with FireAnt as the project is still
            > in development even though the templates seem to be there. But then I
            > have to use my iRiver programs for that now anyway.

            We're working on imporving the synching functionality and the next
            version will have much better support for a variety of devices. It
            will also be able to transcode video for playback on a selected target
            device.

            MP3s are much easier to deal with than video though. If you are using
            the iRiver, you should be able to "sync" to it just like copying files
            onto an external memory card. In FireAnt's Library, you can
            right-click a file and select "Copy To" to save it to any desired
            location.

            > Another quirk is that the downloaded feeds aren't stored in separate
            > folders so synching can get messy if you have a lot of media to sort
            > through --and this media may be stored on your podcast folder with
            > annoying file names like:
            >
            > 5AD29FB1980D76EB0D32777BE8583AEB8DAFAC2E.Mp3

            This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
            corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
            folder for each channel.

            > Although the ID3 tags aren't affected by this when you read them in
            > your players, or in FireAnt itself. However, your synch tools may read
            > some files -- but not all -- like that.So it can be potluck sometimes
            > as to what you are transferring to your device once the file is
            > downloaded.

            Yep, that's a problem. Hopefully this next release will make some
            improvements there. Please stay tuned.

            > But if you wanted to trial FIREANT -- it's an easy business to import
            > your iTunes feeds across and experiment.

            Thanks for the plug. And if you do check it out, please let us know
            about your experience so that we can continue to make FireAnt better.

            > Don't worry too much about relating to FireAnt's directory of podcasts
            > on the web as the site is cumbersome with an unreliable search engine
            > geared primarily to video -- but the downloadable podcatcher is
            > something else.

            Our website is also undergoing a massive overhaul. Expect more here in
            the future. We are currently implementing a much more powerful and
            robust search engine. It is geared more towards video though...
            perhaps we should consider changing this?

            > The FAQs aren't very helpful but there is a sparse Community Wiki at:
            > http://help.antisnottv.net/index.php/Main_Page

            Improving the FAQs is also on the agenda. Its a little tough since
            we're still in beta and its kind of a moving target. Expect things to
            change. Also, that wiki is outdated and should probably be taken down.

            > and the Yahoo FireAnt discussion groups unfortunately seem only open
            > to developers(but you can earsdrop).

            Our FireAnt user groups are open to anyone, though they are entry by
            moderator approval. We discuss issues, respond to feedback, and
            occasionally release new versions of the software there early for
            testing. Please join. We welcome your feedback:

            Thanks again!

            -Josh

            http://FireAnt.tv
          • dave_r_riley
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
              Thanks Josh, I didn't expect a response from the FireAnt's mouth...[By
              the way, where I live here in Australia those nasty little bitey ants
              have recently jumped ship and it's war in the trenches and ant
              mounds...Kill 'em! Kill em ! Kill all the South-American-via-Texas
              ants! because we kinda apprciate out outdoor bar b ques and the flies
              are the only insect we've learnt to put up with! And besides we don't
              much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]

              However, on this:

              > MP3s are much easier to deal with than video though. If you are using
              > the iRiver, you should be able to "sync" to it just like copying files
              > onto an external memory card. In FireAnt's Library, you can
              > right-click a file and select "Copy To" to save it to any desired
              > location.

              No. There's no "Copy To" option that way that I can find. Other
              options 'right-click' are available like "Save As" --- but no "Copy To"...

              Anyway, there's one other feature of FireAnt that I really
              appreciate--and that's its natty clicklet. You can set one of these up
              anytime by visiting the FireAnt website and getting the HTML that when
              clicked offers the visitor to your site the option of downloading
              FireAnt the way boutique versions of Lemon are offered with your feed
              already included in the package (or at least I assume thats' what is
              on offer). By combining a feed subscription with a podcatcher -- this
              must be one of the most accessible tools for those who come upon your
              site and are interested in listening to podcasts for the first time
              with their own free download aggregator.

              Remember that folks -- the day you downloaded your first podcatcher!
              Hmmm...brings tears to the eyes it does.

              dave riley
              ratbagradio@...

              PS: By the way, I got onto FireAnt after a recommendation on OurMedia.
              I hadn't found it referenced elsewhere.
            • Joshua Kinberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
                > No. There's no "Copy To" option that way that I can find. Other
                > options 'right-click' are available like "Save As" --- but no "Copy To"...

                Ooops. You are correct. The function is called "Save As".
                Same thing, different name. My mistake.

                -Josh

                On 6/1/06, dave_r_riley <dhell2@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Josh, I didn't expect a response from the FireAnt's mouth...[By
                > the way, where I live here in Australia those nasty little bitey ants
                > have recently jumped ship and it's war in the trenches and ant
                > mounds...Kill 'em! Kill em ! Kill all the South-American-via-Texas
                > ants! because we kinda apprciate out outdoor bar b ques and the flies
                > are the only insect we've learnt to put up with! And besides we don't
                > much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]
                >
                > However, on this:
                >
                > > MP3s are much easier to deal with than video though. If you are using
                > > the iRiver, you should be able to "sync" to it just like copying files
                > > onto an external memory card. In FireAnt's Library, you can
                > > right-click a file and select "Copy To" to save it to any desired
                > > location.
                >
                > No. There's no "Copy To" option that way that I can find. Other
                > options 'right-click' are available like "Save As" --- but no "Copy To"...
                >

                > Anyway, there's one other feature of FireAnt that I really
                > appreciate--and that's its natty clicklet. You can set one of these up
                > anytime by visiting the FireAnt website and getting the HTML that when
                > clicked offers the visitor to your site the option of downloading
                > FireAnt the way boutique versions of Lemon are offered with your feed
                > already included in the package (or at least I assume thats' what is
                > on offer). By combining a feed subscription with a podcatcher -- this
                > must be one of the most accessible tools for those who come upon your
                > site and are interested in listening to podcasts for the first time
                > with their own free download aggregator.
                >
                > Remember that folks -- the day you downloaded your first podcatcher!
                > Hmmm...brings tears to the eyes it does.
                >
                > dave riley
                > ratbagradio@...
                >
                > PS: By the way, I got onto FireAnt after a recommendation on OurMedia.
                > I hadn't found it referenced elsewhere.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • dave_r_riley
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:

                  > Ooops. You are correct. The function is called "Save As".
                  > Same thing, different name. My mistake.
                  >
                  > -Josh

                  I'm hearing ya. It works fine. I see that I can bulk transfer/synch.

                  Another thing too, I've been exploring your Yahoo search option -- a
                  lot of fun to grab some video or audio so quickly and then I can play
                  it quick with PREVIEW.

                  I've been grabbing the kids and showing them what this toy can do.

                  I also indicate that you push the bar with mutimedia and I'm trying to
                  work out how best to approach, as a podcaster, this optionality you
                  offer. You are making text> audio > video potentially a seamless
                  integrated process such that blogging and audioblogging and vlogging
                  become related in the way some sites -- but not really that many --
                  are currently engaged for theie audience. The habit is to separate
                  these different mediums into different feeds,or functions, although
                  vid and audio tend to be clumped together on the one feed when they
                  are both utilized by the initiating podcaster.

                  As you know, iTunes is a dead letter when it comes to text or
                  referring back to the source web site. And with iTunes forget full
                  show notes capability.

                  You've got a great tool there and I think it transcends everything
                  else I've used in the podcatcher department.

                  dave riley
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                    I know the african toad sounds like a defective pump motor but have you even
                    tried licking one of their backs?

                    On 6/1/06 9:53 PM, "dave_r_riley" <dhell2@...> wrote:

                    > And besides we don't
                    > much like the Cane Toad ( Bufo marinus)the Ameicas sent us.]

                    http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

                    / / \ \ \ \
                    / / / \ \ \ \ \
                    / / \/ O O \ \
                    / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                    / / \/ \
                    \/ \/ \
                    \/ \
                    __o \/ \
                    `\<,_ \/ \
                    (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
                  • Nicole Simon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                      "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                      >This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
                      >corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
                      >folder for each channel.

                      eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                      absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                      exactly that way for a reason.

                      Nicole

                      --
                      blog (d): http://beissholz.de
                      blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org

                      conference podcasts and more:
                      http://bloxpert.com

                      Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
                      http://media-slaves.com/
                    • Joshua Kinberg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                        > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                        > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                        > exactly that way for a reason.

                        Not always. You'd be surprised. People often use file uploading
                        services that will name files with a random hash string. Sometimes
                        people will name all their files the exact same thing (even though
                        they are different media files), but have them in separate directories
                        so that the URL is different but the filename is the same.

                        Unfortunately there is wide variation such that it can be difficult to
                        design a system that works 100% of the time... and even if it does,
                        that may not be how people want to use it.

                        -josh

                        On 6/4/06, Nicole Simon <nisi@...> wrote:
                        > "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                        > >This will be changed in our upcoming release. We will be naming files
                        > >corresponding with the blog post title and storing them in a separate
                        > >folder for each channel.
                        >
                        > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                        > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                        > exactly that way for a reason.
                        >
                        > Nicole
                        >

                        > --
                        > blog (d): http://beissholz.de
                        > blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org
                        > podcast (e): http://useful-sounds.de
                        >
                        > conference podcasts and more:
                        > http://bloxpert.com
                        >
                        > Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
                        > http://media-slaves.com/
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • andrew clarke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                          On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 06:46:18PM -0700, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

                          > > eeh - how about just naming the files with their real file name?! I
                          > > absolutly hate it when people change my filenames which are there in
                          > > exactly that way for a reason.
                          >
                          > Not always. You'd be surprised. People often use file uploading
                          > services that will name files with a random hash string. Sometimes
                          > people will name all their files the exact same thing (even though
                          > they are different media files), but have them in separate directories
                          > so that the URL is different but the filename is the same.
                          >
                          > Unfortunately there is wide variation such that it can be difficult to
                          > design a system that works 100% of the time... and even if it does,
                          > that may not be how people want to use it.

                          This is also the same reason that put me off using FireAnt. At least
                          provide an option to turn off the feature that locally renames files,
                          perhaps on a per-feed basis.

                          I now use PeaPod...