Re: [podcasters] Memorial Day Tribute

  • Joel Haasnoot
    Message 1 of 21 , May 29 11:11 PM
      Hi,
      Thanks for all your comments, I see most of you don't agree with me, but
      that's fine, we all have our own opinions. I wasn't claiming that the show
      was bad, but I just found it inappopriate to plug your show for the
      occasion. In addition, it just sometimes gets on my nerves that especially
      podcasters are so US focused, with very little attention or even recognition
      of other podcasters. I understand the podcast / new media revolution started
      in the US, and that we're a little behind here, but we try too.

      Joel
      On 5/29/06, Steven Fletcher <Fletcher@...> wrote:

      > Hopefully, there are a lot of us who disagree with you. I for one
      > enjoyed the program and I'm glad that it was promoted here. it's no
      > different than promoting any other show here and given the day what
      > could be more appropriate?
      >

      > On May 29, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
      >
      > > Partly both - I can understand he wants to be nationalistic /
      > > patriotic, but
      > > I don't think this was the place to do so and to plug his show at
      > > the same
      > > time.
      >

      > Steven Fletcher
      > Steven@...
      > Currently in Yuma, AZ
      > http://RVbasics.com
      > http://RVinternetAccess.com
      > In development of a new Podcast - RV Radio Show

    • Drew Leifheit
      Message 2 of 21 , May 29 11:43 PM
        One thing I learned through blogging is that it's best to park one's sensitivities at the door.

        Having said that, I am hoping this is more of a forum for information exchange rather than a platform for shameless promotion. So far I've gleaned some good info.

        Drew

        www.budacast.hu
        Hungary's first English language podcast

        Joel Haasnoot <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
        Hi,
        Thanks for all your comments, I see most of you don't agree with me, but
        that's fine, we all have our own opinions. I wasn't claiming that the show
        was bad, but I just found it inappopriate to plug your show for the
        occasion. In addition, it just sometimes gets on my nerves that especially
        podcasters are so US focused, with very little attention or even recognition
        of other podcasters. I understand the podcast / new media revolution started
        in the US, and that we're a little behind here, but we try too.

        Joel
        On 5/29/06, Steven Fletcher <Fletcher@...> wrote:

        > Hopefully, there are a lot of us who disagree with you. I for one
        > enjoyed the program and I'm glad that it was promoted here. it's no
        > different than promoting any other show here and given the day what
        > could be more appropriate?
        >

        > On May 29, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
        >
        > > Partly both - I can understand he wants to be nationalistic /
        > > patriotic, but
        > > I don't think this was the place to do so and to plug his show at
        > > the same
        > > time.
        >

        > Steven Fletcher
        > Steven@...
        > Currently in Yuma, AZ
        > http://RVbasics.com
        > http://RVinternetAccess.com
        > In development of a new Podcast - RV Radio Show

        Communication and networking Computer security Computer training

        ---------------------------------

      • Wyldceltic1
        Message 3 of 21 , May 30 1:12 AM
          Then change it. Do one of your land as no one said you couldn't or
          shouldn't. You may not like it that podcasters are so US focused, but
          you are right that a lot of this started HERE in the US.

          And why the hell NOT 'plug' our casts? Why is that so
          'inappropriate'? I can well see your point if all we did was plug and
          not contribute to this list, but the way we can get actual feedback
          is from listeners and who better than other podcasters???

          You have just as much room to make one of your country too. Stop
          'whining' and change the focus then.

          OK?

          On May 29, 2006, at 11:11 PM, Joel Haasnoot wrote:

          Hi,
          Thanks for all your comments, I see most of you don't agree with me, but
          that's fine, we all have our own opinions. I wasn't claiming that the
          show
          was bad, but I just found it inappopriate to plug your show for the
          occasion. In addition, it just sometimes gets on my nerves that
          especially
          podcasters are so US focused, with very little attention or even
          recognition
          of other podcasters. I understand the podcast / new media revolution
          started
          in the US, and that we're a little behind here, but we try too.

        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 21 , May 30 2:20 AM
            "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
            >Thanks for all your comments, I see most of you don't agree with me,

            Dennis has been spamming all appropriate and non approproate groups for a
            long time - no matter what the reason.

            He is in my blacklist and will never be included in the list I give out to
            friends who want to improve their english in listening through podcasts.

            There is a group for podcasting announcements as in
            HEI! I have a new show out!

            called
            podcastingannouncements@yahoogroups.com

            But that of course is a list not that many people read than the ones Dennis
            likes to spam at. And to avoid the obvious, he is good in 'accompaning' it
            with topics where a reaction like it happened here is nearly guaranteed to
            disguise it.

            Do a search on how much he has contributed as content to the group versus
            just making advertising for his show.

            Besides the spamming it takes the problem of newer members seeing promoting
            this as "oh, it is okay to announce every show in here because they do get
            away with that!".

            We have been there, more than one time ...
            Nicole

            --
            blog (d): http://beissholz.de
            blog (e): http://crueltobekind.org

            conference podcasts and more:
            http://bloxpert.com

            Media Slave - Life in permanent Beta
            http://media-slaves.com/
          • George L Smyth
            Message 5 of 21 , May 30 5:51 AM
              Last year when everyone was doing Christmas shows, I posted a request in
              several places asking for links to podsafe music of other religious holidays
              without response. I know little about other religions and their musical
              traditions, and would be quite open to consider playing them on my show.

              So if anyone does know of any links then please send them to me. I'm quite
              familiar with Christian music (which, of course, goes well back into Medieval
              times), but as my show is "Eclectic Mix," I would like to be able to offer a
              spread of musical possibilities.

              FWIW, I find no problem with someone making note of a special show they may be
              presenting. I'm going to be hitting my 50th show in a few weeks and am
              planning something special, which I will announce here.

              Cheers -

              george

              --- Wyldceltic1 <wyldceltic1@...> wrote:

              > I likie hearing of other countries' holidays/remembrances. *I* would
              > listen to them....
              >
              > On May 29, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:
              >

              > > I think if you did a podcast spotlighting Dutch Remembrance and
              > > Independence Days, it would have been perfectly appropriate if you
              > > plugged it here.

              -------------------------------------

              Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
              One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131
            • George L Smyth
              Message 6 of 21 , May 30 6:01 AM
                --- Bill <bill@...> wrote:

                > I understand why he got upset. Here in Puerto Rico it is considered
                > politically incorrect to celebrate memorial day even though there are
                > thousands of veterans here and the post offices and other federal offices
                > are closed. If you ask an independetista they say it is because they don't
                > like having the American holidays forced down their throats. If you question
                > them further the conversation can become quit emotional. The only why to
                > understand it (for an American outsider) is to consider America as being
                > like the old British empire (even though that is silly) and the various
                > countries having a relationship with the U.S. Then color their relationship
                > based on that attitude (as if America were going around fighting to maintain
                > and grow an empire at the expense of the other countries).

                I have a feeling that anything anyone puts on their podcast can be seen as
                inappropriate by someone else. There are a plethora of things I've heard on
                podcasts that I feel are in appropriate, so I just don't listen.

                However, if this is indeed the case then it sounds to be that it would be a
                great topic for a show. Explain the whys and wherefores for these thoughts and
                present your case and convince me - educate me - post a link to the show here
                so that we can all listen if we choose to do so. That's where the power lies.

                Cheers -

                george

                -------------------------------------

                Message 7 of 21 , May 30 10:19 AM
                  You have "Falling Up", "Reliant K" and other modern christian music?
                  Although I don't follow any orthodox faith, I listen to just about
                  everything..."Barrabas", "Barren Cross" among others.... Some hard
                  edge rock...

                  But yeah, I'd love to HEAR languages instead of just 'seeing' the
                  written words of those languages. I want to hear Swedish, Norwegian,
                  Hungarian, most any of them.

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 30 11:57 AM
                    Well, just my personal opinion, but Christian Rock doesn't do it for me, so I
                    don't play it. What I was hoping for was to find music representative of the
                    special days of religions I am not familiar with (most of them). Christmas is
                    a special time for Christians, and I am interested in celebrating other
                    religions as well (I will be doing a Christmas show this year, as I have found
                    a source).

                    I've definitely had other countries represented on my show (Hong Kong, Russia,
                    Denmark, and will be playing a group from India in a few weeks), and am always
                    looking for music I love to be played - the show oftentimes falls outside of
                    the mainstream of independent music. If you have any links for great Swedish,
                    Norwegian, or Hungarian podsafe music then please them my way, as I'd love to
                    consider them.