Re: Any mic recommendations?

  • Eric Rice
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
      I just did a short 18 minute show using a 49 dollar USB mic called MicFlex as an
      experiment. It's not bad, although I'll stick to using my the Big Mic since it's what I've used
      for many years.

      Listen to this particular show:
      http://show.ericrice.com/blog/_archives/2005/2/1/298658.html

      A couple short short segments that you'd want to hear:
      6:58 : I talk about the micFlex
      10:20-12:45 is where I get ready to play a clip from another podcast project where I use
      the Big Mic. You can hear the obvious contrast in mic quality, sure, but I think that it's not
      a bad place to start. And, it doesn't break the bank.

      Eric

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "kimbac" <kimcampbell@s...> wrote:

      > We are sick of our $2 mic. The sound quality of our podcast is suffering. Any ideas?
      What do you use? I'm not sure if it matters, but we use Audacity to record in. We're also
      open to other programs for recording. Would that make much of a difference as far as
      sound is concerned? I guess I'd be willing to spend about $50 on a mic, and the same on a
      slicker recording program. So, I'd like to hear what works for everyone and the merits and
      drawbacks of each.

      > Thanks for taking the time!
      >
      > Kim C.
    • Vince Callaway
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
        There is also a nice writeup here:
        http://modular.autonomous.org/pebble/scotartt/2004/11/28/1101604256911.html
        on microphones.

        This link is in the links section on the yahoo groups page for this list.

        The links and files section is always a great resource.

        =====
        Podcasting Politics for the Masses
        www.TotalSense.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Random Nightfall
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
          On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:45:49 -0800, Jason @ Insomnia Radio
          <jasonevangelho@...> wrote:

          > AN extremely popular mic is the MXL-990. Condenser mic with very rich
          > sound. Highly recommended!
          >
          > You can snag it @ musiciansfriend.com for under $70.

          Jason,

          Thanks for the tip here -- I'm looking at this one very interestedly.
          But now, a Total Audio Newbie question:

          I gather it needs to be plugged into a mixer before the signal can go
          to the computer (both to up the signal and to provide phantom power.)
          Am I right? If so, anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)

          -R
        • Craig Patchett
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Random Nightfall
            <Random.Nightfall@g...> wrote:

            >...anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)

            Hey Random, your best bet for budget mixers are the Behringer
            EuroRacks, which are probably used by more podcasters than any other.
            For $60 you can't go wrong with this one:

            http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB1002

            Craig

            *******************

            Craig Patchett
            The GodCast Network

            "Behind the Scenes", the podcast for podcasters: http://bts.godcast.org
          • Craig Patchett
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
              <Random.Nightfall@g...> wrote:

              >...anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)

              Forgot to add that if you're using a condenser mic you need phantom
              power, which rules out the $35 Behringer UB502. Plus, even if you
              don't need the phantom power, for an extra $25 it's nice to have the
              capability of plugging in 2 mics if you ever decide to do an interview.

              Craig

              *******************

            • Jason @ Insomnia Radio
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
                > I gather it needs to be plugged into a mixer before the signal can go
                > to the computer (both to up the signal and to provide phantom power.)
                > Am I right? If so, anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)

                Of course!
                If you pick up the MXL-990, compliment it with a Behringer UB802
                preamp/mixer.(snagged it for under $70 as well) It gives you the
                phantom power you need for the condenser, and is very basic but
                functional. It's what I use for my show, and if you've heard it, I
                really think that it's clear and rich...

                Pretty simple: plug in the mic, plug in your audio source (ipod, cd,
                whatever), and plug the mixer into your soundcard...

                --
                Jason Evangelho
                Host & Producer: Insomnia Radio

                On the web:
                http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                RSS Feed: (copy link and plug into your podcatching client)
                http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                IndieFeed Podcast
                http://www.indiefeed.com

                Direct Connect:
                AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                805-709-1551

                Jade Tree
                http://www.jadetree.com

                "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                strong to be broken."
                ~Samuel Johnson
              • Charles Sprickman
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
                  On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Random Nightfall wrote:

                  > I gather it needs to be plugged into a mixer before the signal can go
                  > to the computer (both to up the signal and to provide phantom power.)
                  > Am I right? If so, anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)

                  If you don't want to go the mixer route, this is a pretty neat box:

                  http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-focus.html

                  two xlr inputs with phantom power, and a headphone out. Plugs into a free
                  USB port. This is going to sound much better than going to a cheap mixer
                  and then into a stock audio card with unbalanced inputs.

                  For what it does, pretty affordable. It's powered by the USB port, so
                  it's easy to tote around with your laptop. Works with Mac or Win.

                  Froogle finds it for $119.

                  Charles

                  > -R
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Harold Johnson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
                    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:44:01 -0000, Craig Patchett <craig@...> wrote:

                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Random Nightfall
                    > <Random.Nightfall@g...> wrote:
                    >
                    > >...anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)
                    >
                    > Forgot to add that if you're using a condenser mic you need phantom
                    > power, which rules out the $35 Behringer UB502. Plus, even if you
                    > don't need the phantom power, for an extra $25 it's nice to have the
                    > capability of plugging in 2 mics if you ever decide to do an interview.

                    Go for the Behringer UB802 for around $50 and you'll be set since it
                    includes phantom power. More on that at my website:

                    http://www.somethingthathappened.com/2004/11/podcat-that-showcasing-feline-was.html

                    Harold
                    http://audioblogs.info
                  • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2005
                      > I gather it needs to be plugged into a mixer before the signal can go
                      > to the computer (both to up the signal and to provide phantom power.)
                      > Am I right? If so, anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-budget? :)

                      Actually I record all of mine straight from the mic to the computer.

                      Quality is - I am told - OK, but I'm not competing with Doug Kaye yet.

                      Have a look at the advice on www.iloveradio.org,

                      Julian
                    • Governor
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2005
                        I have a Shure SM-58 that I used to use in my "punk rock" days. Do
                        you think I could use this microphone with my computerÂ… or do I need
                        to run in through a pre-amp?

                        - Gov

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Doncaster \(Yahoo1\)"
                        <julianduk@y...> wrote:

                        > > I gather it needs to be plugged into a mixer before the signal
                        can go
                        > > to the computer (both to up the signal and to provide phantom
                        power.)
                        > > Am I right? If so, anyone have any advice for mixer-on-a-
                        budget? :)

                        > Actually I record all of mine straight from the mic to the computer.
                        >
                        > Quality is - I am told - OK, but I'm not competing with Doug Kaye
                        yet.

                        > Have a look at the advice on www.iloveradio.org,
                        >
                        > Julian
                      • Jake Ludington
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2005
                          > I have a Shure SM-58 that I used to use in my "punk rock" days. Do
                          > you think I could use this microphone with my computer. or do I need
                          > to run in through a pre-amp?

                          You can go line-level in with an SM-58 as well as most other dynamic
                          microphones.

                          Jake
                        • Craig Patchett
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2005
                            <julianduk@y...> wrote:

                            > Actually I record all of mine straight from the mic to the computer.

                            You can do that with a dynamic mic (although using a preamp is
                            preferable) but not with a condenser. And Harold is right, the UB502
                            IS the best deal.

                            Craig

                            *******************

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 4, 2005
                              On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:39:50 -0000, Craig Patchett <craig@...> wrote:

                              > You can do that with a dynamic mic (although using a preamp is
                              > preferable) but not with a condenser. And Harold is right, the UB502
                              > IS the best deal.

                              Did you mean the UB802? I was recommending the 802 if you need
                              phantom power, though the 502 is also a good deal if you don't need
                              that ghost.

                              Harold
                              http://audioblogs.info
                            • Craig Patchett
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 4, 2005
                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                                <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:39:50 -0000, Craig Patchett <craig@g...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > You can do that with a dynamic mic (although using a preamp is
                                > > preferable) but not with a condenser. And Harold is right, the UB502
                                > > IS the best deal.
                                >
                                > Did you mean the UB802? I was recommending the 802 if you need
                                > phantom power, though the 502 is also a good deal if you don't need
                                > that ghost.

                                Aargh! Yes, the UB802, not the 502. Get it even if you don't need the
                                phantom power because it gives you the option to use a condenser later
                                and it's not that much more money.

                                Thanks Harold.

                                Craig
                              • Scot Mcphee
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 4, 2005
                                  Guys, if you buy a USB computer audio interface with Mic in and
                                  phantom power (I think someone pointed out an MAudio unit in this
                                  thread) you can dispense with the mixer. The quality of the microphone
                                  pre-amps really affects the sound so you may be able to get a huge
                                  boost in sound quality with little additional expense this way.

                                  Even if you get a mixer (the Behringers are all OK enough) every
                                  computer sold including Apple generally has pretty crappy quality
                                  audio line in (microphone level inputs even worse). Although they will
                                  be adequate for your average amateur podcaster, especially one with a
                                  nice external mixer, you can improve the quality of your audio
                                  interface immensely by getting an external interface.

                                  Just a thought.

                                  regs
                                  scot.

                                  On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:11:08 -0800, Harold Johnson
                                  <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                                  > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:39:50 -0000, Craig Patchett <craig@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > You can do that with a dynamic mic (although using a preamp is
                                  > > preferable) but not with a condenser. And Harold is right, the UB502
                                  > > IS the best deal.
                                  >
                                  > Did you mean the UB802? I was recommending the 802 if you need
                                  > phantom power, though the 502 is also a good deal if you don't need
                                  > that ghost.
                                  >
                                  > Harold
                                  > http://audioblogs.info

                                  Autonomous Organisation http://www.autonomous.org/
                                • Charles Sprickman
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 4, 2005
                                    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Scot Mcphee wrote:

                                    > Guys, if you buy a USB computer audio interface with Mic in and
                                    > phantom power (I think someone pointed out an MAudio unit in this
                                    > thread) you can dispense with the mixer. The quality of the microphone
                                    > pre-amps really affects the sound so you may be able to get a huge
                                    > boost in sound quality with little additional expense this way.

                                    That would be me. The M-Audio I'm looking at is only $120. Two XLR
                                    inputs, a headphone monitor, phantom power, what more could one want? :)

                                    And it's both windows and mac friendly. Need a 4 input mixer down the
                                    road? Don't throw away your initial investment, but another one of these.

                                    Overall it seems like a much better bargain than a decent audio card +
                                    mixer. Last I looked you had to spend at least $80 to get a nice clean
                                    soundcard.

                                    One other note on the Macs, the G5 desktops all have SPDIF in/out, FWIW.

                                    Charles

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 4, 2005
                                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Scot Mcphee <scot.mcphee@g...> wrote:

                                      > Even if you get a mixer (the Behringers are all OK enough) every
                                      > computer sold including Apple generally has pretty crappy quality
                                      > audio line in (microphone level inputs even worse). Although they will
                                      > be adequate for your average amateur podcaster, especially one with a
                                      > nice external mixer, you can improve the quality of your audio
                                      > interface immensely by getting an external interface.

                                      This is true, and a good point. But don't rule out an external
                                      mixer...you can still use it with the Griffin iMic, which gives you an
                                      external line/mic-in USB interface for $30-35 online. Combine that
                                      with a Behringer UB802 mixer and for $85 plus shipping you're looking
                                      at something a lot cheaper and with a lot more flexibility than an
                                      M-Audio.

                                      Craig

                                      *******************

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 5, 2005
                                        > > Guys, if you buy a USB computer audio interface with Mic in and
                                        > > phantom power (I think someone pointed out an MAudio unit in this

                                        > That would be me. The M-Audio I'm looking at is only $120. Two XLR
                                        > inputs, a headphone monitor, phantom power, what more could one want? :)
                                        >
                                        > And it's both windows and mac friendly. Need a 4 input mixer down the
                                        > road? Don't throw away your initial investment, but another one of these.

                                        A good audio interface is still eminently useful with a mixer!

                                        > One other note on the Macs, the G5 desktops all have SPDIF in/out, FWIW.

                                        Well, that's some help, but the SPDIF Is still dependent on how good
                                        the external converter (analogue to digital) is, how stable the clock
                                        signal, and how good the impl on the Apple G5 is (I'd hazaard a guess
                                        it's a lot better than the external gear - but the external gear would
                                        be clocking the Apple input and that might introduce problems if the
                                        clock is not stable). All digital is not equivalent, and mating that
                                        SPDIF input up with a mixer that has a SPDIF output and a good mic
                                        preamp ... would be pretty daunting even for most people.

                                        regs
                                        scot.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 6, 2005
                                          Scot, do you know if you can set a mixer up with an iMic? I don't
                                          want to spend alot of money on a USB interface (that is, when I can
                                          afford one at all). Here's the iMic:

                                          http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

                                          Harold J. Jackson (not, not really - it's Harold J. Johnson)
                                          http://audioblogs.info

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 6, 2005
                                            Well, I suppose so it says it supports both mic and line in. I would
                                            look around and see if you can't find another similar priced interface
                                            with RCA/phono or 1/4" jacks (guitar lead style). If not I'm sure this
                                            unit will do the job. You'll need to get a stereo mini-jack lead to
                                            support it for your mixer though, but hi-fi shops sell those.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 6, 2005
                                              On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:57:07 -0800, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

                                              > Scot, do you know if you can set a mixer up with an iMic? I don't
                                              > want to spend alot of money on a USB interface (that is, when I can
                                              > afford one at all).

                                              The iMic works just fine with a mixer. In fact, I suggested this combination in a previous
                                              post a few days ago as an alternative to a breakout box.

                                              Craig