Re: Recording Hardware Questions

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      I have a follow-up question about the Behringer mixer and a general
      question to throw out there about hardware.
      I am currently experimenting with a podacst idea that would be an
      audio companion to my music blog The Rock and Roll Report. What I
      anticipate doing is mixing a compination of CDs and MP3s, records
      (you know those old fashioned round slabs of vinyl!), cassettes,
      live voice in and telephone interviews (most probably conducted with
      Skype). Now in my past life working in college radio a long time ago
      we would have the CD player, turntable, etc. all hooked into our
      mixer board and I could mix to tape or DAT from there. Is this
      possible with this model of mixer or do I need something bigger? I
      will be recording the show through my still functioning version of
      Cool Edit onto a removable hard drive and then I would do post
      production from there. I enjoy physically mixing the various sources
      so I don't want this to be a computer only experience. I have the
      software more or less figured out but it's just picking the mixer
      that has me flumoxed. The price on this unit would certainly be
      right in my budget so I am hoping it can do what I need. The other
      nice thing is that it is relatively small which will be handy since
      I eventually anticipate recording the show from some places other
      than my home office.
      Thanks.

      Mark Boudreau
      www.rockandrollreport.com

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Vince Callaway <v_callaway@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- Allen Weiner <allen_weiner@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > What is the output method from mixer to PC? I looked at a
      Behringer the other
      > > day and was somewhat baffled on that issue?
      > >
      > > Allen
      >
      > Simply line-in. Radio shack sells a cable that is 2 rca on one
      end and 1/8"
      > stereo on the other. It is connected to the tape-out connection.
      I use
      > Audacity to record and edit.

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Vince Callaway
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        --- Mark <mark@...> wrote:

        > I have a follow-up question about the Behringer mixer and a general
        > question to throw out there about hardware.
        [snip]

        The one I have ( ub1202 ) sounds like it would do what you ask. It has two
        line outputs. One labeled control room and the other tape out.

        I currently have a cheap $20 radio shack mic pluged in. A radio shack phone
        adapter and my minidisc. The built-in equalizer really cleans up the pone
        adapter. The tinny sound is greatly reduced.

        I have not published any podcasts with the phone adapter in use but I can do a
        couple of samples so you can hear the difference.

        At $80 I think this mixer is the best bargain around for us. I can't wait
        until my new mic's get here on friday to see how it all comes together.

        =====
        Podcasting Politics for the Masses
        www.TotalSense.com

        http://my.yahoo.com