Re: [podcasters] Re: Preventing re-downloads of all my media files (WAS: Importing LibSyn to WordPress)

    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2006
      On 5/3/06, Dave Shepherd <shepdave@...> wrote:

      > What is "GUID"? Where does that line of code reside?

      It stands for "Globally Unique Identifier" (with minor variations
      depending on whom you ask) and it's part of every <item> element
      within your RSS file. It's *supposed* to be an unambiguous and
      definitive way to tell one item apart from another -- it simply needs
      to be a string that's never in any other <item> element. RSS readers
      use it to determine which items are new and which ones aren't. Some
      readers have other criteria as well, however, since not everybody uses
      the GUID consistently or reliably.

      > Because I've used LibSyn's RSS tool from the very beginning, I never
      > had to learn much nuts-and-bolts about RSS. Obviously I have to now.

      My advice would be to open up your RSS file and spend a little time
      reading it. It looks arcane at first glance, but it's a *structured*
      sort of arcane, and you can probably figure out what 90% of it does
      without referring to any other source, simply by knowing your own
      podcast.

      http://www.escapepod.org