RE: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting and Playlists - for Jake

  • Jake Ludington
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      > I'm not some evil monster trying to co-opt peoples podcasts. I

      I apologize if that's how it sounded. I am not meaning to imply that you
      have anything but good intentions. You were the example brought up and so I
      was sticking with that example.

      > actually wrote the site because I was tired of downloading crap, and
      > maybe not even listening to it. I don't have evil plans about
      > branding, or letting people only get their podcasts from me, or any
      > non compete agreements, or exclusivity contracts, or any of that nonsense.
      > My site just makes things easier. And I promise you that once people

      Your site does make things easier. Over the short term, that's great. People
      need to look at a long term view. If 10,000 people go to your site to hear a
      podcast on a regular basis and a year from now, you decide it's not worth
      your time to keep providing the service you currently provide, chances are
      good that a large percentage of those 10,000 will not transfer over to
      wherever the show becomes accessible in the future. A large portion of the
      audience will be lost. I'm not singling out Podcast Mania, I'm trying to
      make people aware of the risks of losing control of their listener base.

      > see what I'm doing, they will copy it, and it will be common. If the
      > podcasters don't want ads, they don't have to have them. But there
      > are podcasters out there that are doing all that they can to track
      > down sponsors and make a profit at this, maybe just to help with

      Our show is one of the ones making money, both as a stream and as a
      downloadable file. I guess I missed the part of your site where you mention
      how you are going to help people offset their costs and get sponsors.

      > bandwidth, and if I can provide that to them, with no effort on their
      > part (much like Google ads I might add) then I see no harm in that.
      > Again, things get easier for the end user.

      Google Adsense does provide reciprocity in the form of payment for clicks,
      which is a different model, unless you are proposing to launch a service to
      find podcasters advertisers and keep some sort of agency fee, which is a
      completely different opportunity.

      > Now, to put my money where my mouth is....Julian, if you would like a
      > link to a feed without any wrapper on it, I can whip one up for you.

      Well done!

      > > The streaming option would be for listeners who either:
      > >
      > > a) Don't understand podcasting and don't want to
      > > b) Want to listen to the show without downloading it
      > > c) Want to hear you doing something more dynamic or live
      > >

      > You don't need an ipod to enjoy podcasting or to understand it, and
      > who wants to deal with the file management issues of downloading all
      > those podcasts. I had to regularly prune the gig or so of podcasts
      > that ipodder was dumping on my drive. It Sucked...that's why this
      > site was written...to save me the headache of managing those files.
      > I think it's elitest to suggest that one has to "understand"
      > podcasting to enjoy the content of these programs.

      The fact of the matter is, there is an insane level of hassle required to
      understand podcasting at this point. You need to know what RSS is and how to
      subscribe (which is still an uphill battle). You need to know what an
      iPodder client app is and where to get one. You need to know how to get the
      .NET framework in some cases. You need to know how to get the downloaded app
      from your podcasting client to your portable player. That's not elitist;
      that's reality. I was among the first people with tutorials on how to get a
      podcast using non-iPod players specifically because many people are under
      the false impression that an iPod is required. Streaming is another
      alternative way to get the information without needing to understand the
      steps required to subscribe.

      Jake
    • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
        Jake

        Thanks for the comments. I mostly agree with you.

        >The streaming option would be for listeners who either:

        >a) Don't understand podcasting and don't want to
        >b) Want to listen to the show without downloading it
        >c) Want to hear you doing something more dynamic or live

        I'dd three more to that list:

        Listeners who:

        d) Want to dip into a lot of shows without having to subscribe to a lot of feeds or download a lot of MP3s.
        e) Don't have the bandwidth to download a lot of shows. I'd identify dialup listeners as in this category.
        f) Don't want to wait.

        Julian

      • Harold Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
          On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:21:48 -0800, Jake Ludington
          <jake@...> wrote:

          > I was among the first people with tutorials on how to get a
          > podcast using non-iPod players specifically because many people are under
          > the false impression that an iPod is required. Streaming is another
          > alternative way to get the information without needing to understand the
          > steps required to subscribe.

          Jake, what's the URL for that tutorial? I'd like to include a link to
          it on audioblogs.info.

          Harold Johnson
          http://audioblogs.info
        • Jake Ludington
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
            > Jake, what's the URL for that tutorial? I'd like to include a link to
            > it on audioblogs.info.

            http://www.jakeludington.com/how_to_help/20041008_podcasting_with_windows_me
            dia_player_podcasting_part_1.html

            Jake