Re: [podcasters] Re: Do Podcasters stream?

  • Lucas Gonze
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 1, 2005
      A general comment about the relationship between RSS and playlists as
      vehicles for podcasts --

      RSS with enclosures and playlists are closely related. RSS is about
      offline fetching (and subscription), playlists are about real-time
      fetching.

      Your listeners want one or the other at different times. When they're
      checking out a new podcast, before subscribing, they should go through
      a playlist. When they're listening to an existing favorite on the
      subway, they should go through RSS. When they're on a new computer
      that doesn't have cached files, they should go through a playlist.
      When they're on their main computer they should use RSS to gain access
      to cached files. When there's some kind of creativity to the ordering
      of files, they should use a playlist. When the ordering is according
      to date posted, RSS is the tool.

      Etc -- the point is that playlists and feeds are complementary in the
      same way as HTML and feeds.

      - Lucas
    • Harold Johnson
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 4, 2005
        On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:21:32 -0000, lucas_gonze <lucas.gonze@...> wrote:

        > Musicians can't put ads in their music, so they have to use free songs
        > to sell CDs, t-shirts, etc. For them I need to do a better job of
        > connecting listeners to music stores -- I'm not very good at it yet.

        Well, they can, Lucas, but let's hope they don't start...

        Harold