Re: [podcasters] Importing LibSyn to WordPress

  • Andy Armstrong
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2 3:24 AM
      On 2 May 2006, at 10:39, Dave Shepherd wrote:
      > Hi y'all,

      Hi Dave :)

      > 1) I want to keep using my own domain name, thewordnerds.org, to keep
      > pointing to the same URL for my RSS feed. I assume this won't be a
      > big deal: since I now use thewordnerds.org/rss, I'll just create a
      > directory called /rss on the new server account, put my RSS file
      > there, and when I point my domain name to the new account, it'll be
      > ready.

      You may need to do it using a redirect - WordPress won't necessarily
      generate a feed for you at that address - but (depending on how much
      access you have to your server) it may be possible to set it up to
      redirect /rss to /whatever/wordpress/gives/you/rss

      > 2) But the other thing I want is to point to all the old shows in my
      > feed (60 shows by now) when I use WordPress, so there won't be any
      > change in what people's podcatcher software sees. In other words, I'd
      > like to import my LibSyn blog into WordPress. I was able to do this
      > with a Blogger blog with no problem, but my podcast's blog is all on
      > LibSyn.

      Depending on how desperate you are I'm sure a script could be written
      to grab the blog entries from Libsyn and convert them into a suitable
      format. The other option is just to cut & paste all 60 items one at a
      time.

      Either way there's a potential problem: if you import everything
      fresh into WordPress, podcatchers (and other aggregators) will think
      you've just posted 60 new items - because the unique IDs on those
      items will have been regenerated by Wordpress - so aggregators will
      see them as 'new'. It may be possible to create a new Wordpress
      powered feed that's semantically identical to your current feed to
      avoid that - but without investigating further I can't comment on how
      tricky that might be.

      Mail me off-list if you'd like more info.

      --
      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
    • Evo Terra
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2 7:56 AM
        Dave Shepherd wrote:
        > I would like to move the whole thing (except the MP3 hosting) to
        > WordPress.

        Welcome to this little slice of hell, Dave. I'll be doing the same thing
        tonight, moving from a Movable Type system to a bright-shiny-new
        WordPress. Hooray for the PodPress pluggin!

        > 2) But the other thing I want is to point to all the old shows in my
        > feed (60 shows by now) when I use WordPress, so there won't be any
        > change in what people's podcatcher software sees.

        I've been trying to wrap my brain around this with zero luck. And I'm
        about 10 hours from launch, so time is running out quickly. To my mind,
        there will be no way to reconcile the <GUID> entry from the current

        <guid isPermaLink="false">3640@http://www.dragonpage.com/</guid>

        generated by Movable Type. In hind sight, perhaps I should have figured
        a way to make the actual name of the audio file the GUID? Yeah, that
        likely would have fixed it.

        Maybe. The new WordPress install spits out

        <guid isPermaLink="false">
        http://www.michaelandevo.com/2006/04/28/voicemail-wingin-it-58/
        </guid>

        Which is the actual post to the show notes.

        I'm pretty sure I'm screwed regardless, but if anyone has any very
        simple (I'm really not that bright) methodology to "lock" in the
        previous <guid> designations (I imported all the entries into the new
        site), I'd love to hear it.

        E.

        --
        Evo Terra | MichaelandEvo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2 8:11 AM
          On 5/2/06, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

          > I'm pretty sure I'm screwed regardless, but if anyone has any very
          > simple (I'm really not that bright) methodology to "lock" in the
          > previous <guid> designations (I imported all the entries into the new
          > site), I'd love to hear it.

          Here's an idea: You could set the old GUID in a custom field on the
          post, and hack the wp-rss2.php file to tell it to use that custom
          field instead of the post's permalink *if* the post's date (which
          you'd manually set) is prior to May 1, 2006.

          In other words, "Get Chris on it." >8->

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Joel Haasnoot
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2 8:16 AM
            Well, a mod of the PodPress plugin probably isn't that hard, just
            change the code to be able to manually set the guid of certain
            entries. Or, even better, allow a user to paste the whole
            <item>....</item> into a box....

            I haven't personally looked at PodPress, but it's probably an option
            in the future. I may have time this week, but I'll look into this for
            the future...

            Joel

            On 5/2/06, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
            > Dave Shepherd wrote:
            > > I would like to move the whole thing (except the MP3 hosting) to
            > > WordPress.
            >
            > Welcome to this little slice of hell, Dave. I'll be doing the same thing
            > tonight, moving from a Movable Type system to a bright-shiny-new
            > WordPress. Hooray for the PodPress pluggin!
            >
            > > 2) But the other thing I want is to point to all the old shows in my
            > > feed (60 shows by now) when I use WordPress, so there won't be any
            > > change in what people's podcatcher software sees.
            >
            > I've been trying to wrap my brain around this with zero luck. And I'm
            > about 10 hours from launch, so time is running out quickly. To my mind,
            > there will be no way to reconcile the <GUID> entry from the current
            >
            > <guid isPermaLink="false">3640@http://www.dragonpage.com/</guid>
            >
            > generated by Movable Type. In hind sight, perhaps I should have figured
            > a way to make the actual name of the audio file the GUID? Yeah, that
            > likely would have fixed it.
            >
            > Maybe. The new WordPress install spits out
            >
            > <guid isPermaLink="false">
            > http://www.michaelandevo.com/2006/04/28/voicemail-wingin-it-58/
            > </guid>
            >
            > Which is the actual post to the show notes.
            >
            > I'm pretty sure I'm screwed regardless, but if anyone has any very
            > simple (I'm really not that bright) methodology to "lock" in the
            > previous <guid> designations (I imported all the entries into the new
            > site), I'd love to hear it.
            >
            > E.
            >

            > --
            > Evo Terra | MichaelandEvo.com

            ------------------------------------
            Joel Haasnoot
            Host of the TG^3 Review
            Geek & Programmer
            -- Check out www.sugapod.com --
          • MissPeter
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2 9:41 AM
              On 5/2/06, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
              > In hind sight, perhaps I should have figured
              > a way to make the actual name of the audio file the GUID? Yeah, that
              > likely would have fixed it.

              Just a word of warning - don't use the mp3 file name as the GUID
              unless you are hosting the mp3 on your own server. It might not be a
              big deal but it's another one of those things where if you ever change
              hosts you will have to update all your GUIDs and for a lot of
              podcatchers this will mean downloading shows again. I use libsyn for
              my file host and I don't want my GUID to be tied to their URL so I use
              the page URL that is generated for the blog entry on my site since it
              has a unique ID that is tied to the posting i.e.
              http://www.musicnerve.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=580

              -peter
              --

              http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people
            • Dan Kuykendall
              • Evo Terra
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2 11:17 AM
                  MissPeter wrote:
                  > Just a word of warning - don't use the mp3 file name as the GUID
                  > unless you are hosting the mp3 on your own server. It might not be a
                  > big deal but it's another one of those things where if you ever change
                  > hosts you will have to update all your GUIDs and for a lot of
                  > podcatchers this will mean downloading shows again.

                  Good point. Full path could be potentially bad. Just the file name,
                  however, should be much safer.

                  E.

                  --
                  Evo Terra | DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com
                • Andy Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2 2:19 PM
                    On 2 May 2006, at 16:11, Stephen Eley wrote:
                    > On 5/2/06, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I'm pretty sure I'm screwed regardless, but if anyone has any very
                    >> simple (I'm really not that bright) methodology to "lock" in the
                    >> previous <guid> designations (I imported all the entries into the new
                    >> site), I'd love to hear it.
                    >
                    > Here's an idea: You could set the old GUID in a custom field on the
                    > post, and hack the wp-rss2.php file to tell it to use that custom
                    > field instead of the post's permalink *if* the post's date (which
                    > you'd manually set) is prior to May 1, 2006.

                    If it's purely a transitional measure you could simply hack wp-
                    rss2.php to embed all of the items in the old feed at the end of the
                    feed it generates. Not pretty but practical :)

                    --
                    Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                  • Andy Armstrong
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2 2:22 PM
                      On 2 May 2006, at 17:41, MissPeter wrote:
                      > Just a word of warning - don't use the mp3 file name as the GUID
                      > unless you are hosting the mp3 on your own server. It might not be a
                      > big deal but it's another one of those things where if you ever change
                      > hosts you will have to update all your GUIDs and for a lot of
                      > podcatchers this will mean downloading shows again. I use libsyn for
                      > my file host and I don't want my GUID to be tied to their URL so I use
                      > the page URL that is generated for the blog entry on my site since it
                      > has a unique ID that is tied to the posting i.e.
                      > http://www.musicnerve.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=580

                      There's no need to change the GUID in the case where you used the
                      path of an MP3 and that path changes - it's still a valid GUID.

                      --
                      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                    • Andy Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2 2:24 PM
                        On 2 May 2006, at 19:17, Evo Terra wrote:
                        > MissPeter wrote:
                        >> Just a word of warning - don't use the mp3 file name as the GUID
                        >> unless you are hosting the mp3 on your own server. It might not be a
                        >> big deal but it's another one of those things where if you ever
                        >> change
                        >> hosts you will have to update all your GUIDs and for a lot of
                        >> podcatchers this will mean downloading shows again.
                        >
                        > Good point. Full path could be potentially bad. Just the file name,
                        > however, should be much safer.

                        Either is fine - the GUID is just arbitrary text - just because it
                        might look like the path to an MP3 doesn't mean it actually has to /
                        be/ the path to an MP3.

                        --
                        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                      • Dave Shepherd
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3 6:48 AM
                          Hi guys,
                          I am very grateful for everyone's quick response to my query about
                          moving from LibSyn into WordPress.

                          I can see that I have a lot of research and learning to do. Almost as
                          soon as the discussion started, I felt completely out of my element.
                          When people starting talking about "GUID" and such, my metaphorical
                          eyes began to glaze over.

                          I do understand what Andy Armstrong said about redirecting the feed
                          URL to the actual location of the RSS file. I'll call GoDaddy this
                          morning and get some advice on this.

                          And I get the problems Evo foresaw, and the gist of the Steve's
                          suggestion to set a time condition in one of the .php files, but as
                          to specifics, I am completely and utterly lost.

                          What is "GUID"? Where does that line of code reside?

                          Because I've used LibSyn's RSS tool from the very beginning, I never
                          had to learn much nuts-and-bolts about RSS. Obviously I have to now.

                          Dave
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 3 8:33 AM
                            On 5/3/06, Dave Shepherd <shepdave@...> wrote:

                            > What is "GUID"? Where does that line of code reside?

                            It stands for "Globally Unique Identifier" (with minor variations
                            depending on whom you ask) and it's part of every <item> element
                            within your RSS file. It's *supposed* to be an unambiguous and
                            definitive way to tell one item apart from another -- it simply needs
                            to be a string that's never in any other <item> element. RSS readers
                            use it to determine which items are new and which ones aren't. Some
                            readers have other criteria as well, however, since not everybody uses
                            the GUID consistently or reliably.

                            > Because I've used LibSyn's RSS tool from the very beginning, I never
                            > had to learn much nuts-and-bolts about RSS. Obviously I have to now.

                            My advice would be to open up your RSS file and spend a little time
                            reading it. It looks arcane at first glance, but it's a *structured*
                            sort of arcane, and you can probably figure out what 90% of it does
                            without referring to any other source, simply by knowing your own
                            podcast.

                            http://www.escapepod.org