Re: [podcasters] Recording Hardware Questions

  • Vince Callaway
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- walter <walter@...> wrote:
      [snip]
      > The main content is interviews and conversations.
      [snip]

      I assume you are talking about on location interviews?

      For the interview I just posted I used a minidisc with a mic from reactive
      sounds ( http://www.reactivesounds.com/rp1.php ) It is a $25 mic that works
      suprisingly well. The audio was fed into the computer through a mixer. The
      mixer has a built in EQ which enhances the audio a bit. The mixer is a
      behringer ub1202 (
      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/88618 )
      $79.95.

      The mixer is small enough that it could easily be taken on location for doing a
      group. I just ordered these mics (
      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/277174/ ) for
      doing just that. Three for $20 is too good a deal to pass up. Especially
      since they are quality mics.

      I am not a big fan of recording directly to a computer. The ability to
      re-create a live interview is non-existant. Dave Slusher posted a note
      yesterday about loosing his show when audacity failed to save.

      If you are curious to see how the setup performed my site is www.totalsense.com

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Allen Weiner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        What is the output method from mixer to PC? I looked at a Behringer the other day and was somewhat baffled on that issue?

        Allen

        Vince Callaway <v_callaway@...> wrote:
        --- walter <walter@...> wrote:
        [snip]
        > The main content is interviews and conversations.
        [snip]

        I assume you are talking about on location interviews?

        For the interview I just posted I used a minidisc with a mic from reactive
        sounds ( http://www.reactivesounds.com/rp1.php ) It is a $25 mic that works
        suprisingly well. The audio was fed into the computer through a mixer. The
        mixer has a built in EQ which enhances the audio a bit. The mixer is a
        behringer ub1202 (
        http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/88618 )
        $79.95.

        The mixer is small enough that it could easily be taken on location for doing a
        group. I just ordered these mics (
        http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/277174/ ) for
        doing just that. Three for $20 is too good a deal to pass up. Especially
        since they are quality mics.

        I am not a big fan of recording directly to a computer. The ability to
        re-create a live interview is non-existant. Dave Slusher posted a note
        yesterday about loosing his show when audacity failed to save.

        If you are curious to see how the setup performed my site is www.totalsense.com

        Allen Weiner
        Research Director, Gartner G2
        Check out my blogs:

        thingsiloveandhate2.blogspot.com
        whatsontonight.blogware.com

        allen_weiner@...

      • Vince Callaway
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- Allen Weiner <allen_weiner@...> wrote:

          > What is the output method from mixer to PC? I looked at a Behringer the other
          > day and was somewhat baffled on that issue?
          >
          > Allen

          Simply line-in. Radio shack sells a cable that is 2 rca on one end and 1/8"
          stereo on the other. It is connected to the tape-out connection. I use
          Audacity to record and edit.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
            I have a follow-up question about the Behringer mixer and a general
            question to throw out there about hardware.
            I am currently experimenting with a podacst idea that would be an
            audio companion to my music blog The Rock and Roll Report. What I
            anticipate doing is mixing a compination of CDs and MP3s, records
            (you know those old fashioned round slabs of vinyl!), cassettes,
            live voice in and telephone interviews (most probably conducted with
            Skype). Now in my past life working in college radio a long time ago
            we would have the CD player, turntable, etc. all hooked into our
            mixer board and I could mix to tape or DAT from there. Is this
            possible with this model of mixer or do I need something bigger? I
            will be recording the show through my still functioning version of
            Cool Edit onto a removable hard drive and then I would do post
            production from there. I enjoy physically mixing the various sources
            so I don't want this to be a computer only experience. I have the
            software more or less figured out but it's just picking the mixer
            that has me flumoxed. The price on this unit would certainly be
            right in my budget so I am hoping it can do what I need. The other
            nice thing is that it is relatively small which will be handy since
            I eventually anticipate recording the show from some places other
            than my home office.
            Thanks.

            Mark Boudreau
            www.rockandrollreport.com

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Vince Callaway <v_callaway@y...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
              --- Mark <mark@...> wrote:

              > I have a follow-up question about the Behringer mixer and a general
              > question to throw out there about hardware.
              [snip]

              The one I have ( ub1202 ) sounds like it would do what you ask. It has two
              line outputs. One labeled control room and the other tape out.

              I currently have a cheap $20 radio shack mic pluged in. A radio shack phone
              adapter and my minidisc. The built-in equalizer really cleans up the pone
              adapter. The tinny sound is greatly reduced.

              I have not published any podcasts with the phone adapter in use but I can do a
              couple of samples so you can hear the difference.

              At $80 I think this mixer is the best bargain around for us. I can't wait
              until my new mic's get here on friday to see how it all comes together.

              =====
              Podcasting Politics for the Masses
              www.TotalSense.com

              http://my.yahoo.com