RE: [podcasters] Brain Pickin'

  • Richard fitzWilliams
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
      This is where I see your tech going (not others):

      Wow! Great concept. Don't know if you have patented it yet or if there is
      something out there similar to it, but it is very nice! It is like a portal
      to customize your feeds in the order you want them and whatever size. It is
      a mashup of podcasts. Very nice. Perfect for news feeds and such. It
      could allow many contributors the ability to provide 3-5 minute feeds, which
      the user selects which ones they want to hear. It is perfect for short
      snippets of news and such. Enough rambling for now.

      Rich Elswick
      http://www.painbank.com - SCA centric martial arts podcast
      http://www.moyaentertainment.com - Podcast Production

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 10:22 AM
        This is very cool Isaac. IT Conversations does something similar for production, but not for listners. Are you going to release these tools to the pubilc, or sell them?

        Geoff Hankerson
        The Fundamentals of Digial Audio Podcast

        Web: http://digiaudio.blogspot.com/
        iTunes link:
        http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=803570
        RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/iqhL

[...]

        Communication and networking Computer security Computer training
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.

      • isaac@dailysonic.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 10:56 AM
          The problem with releasing tools (and even more so if you were going
          to sell 'em) is that it's a lot easier to program for internal use
          than for public distribution. A lot of what we've done is intimately
          tied in with the specific structure of our website and database.

          But I'm sure if there was any interest, I could package up the PHP
          code I've written for stitching together MP3 files and adding /
          removing ID3 tags.

          I've also recently create a little script that helps with the annoying
          RSS traffic spike, where your server gets slammed for a couple hours
          after you update your feed. The script essentially hands out the
          updated feed slowly and in a controlled manner (giving everyone else
          the non-updated feed) to help distribute the spike. It's done wonders
          for us.

          So if anyone wants any of these, let me know and I'll take the time to
          clean up the code and offer it, open source.

          Also, as a pure shameless plug... at Dailysonic we're looking to add a
          lot more content to our show, so that listeners have a wider selection
          to choose from when creating their custom editions. So if anyone is
          interested in producing a short weekly "Column" (3 - 10 minutes),
          please let me know!

          We're trying to steer clear of the whole "Podcast Portal" thing....
          We're not trying to be another Podshow. Instead of our Columns
          standing on their own, we really want them to be a part of a larger
          customizable show.

          If you're interested (or know anyone who is) drop me a line.

          -Isaac
          dailysonic.com

          On 5/1/06, Geoff Hankerson <ghankstef@...> wrote:
          > This is very cool Isaac. IT Conversations does something similar for production, but not for listners. Are you going to release these tools to the pubilc, or sell them?
          >
          > Geoff Hankerson
          > The Fundamentals of Digial Audio Podcast
          >
          > Web: http://digiaudio.blogspot.com/
          > iTunes link:
          > http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=803570
          > RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/iqhL

        • Dan Kuykendall

            I would be interested in getting a copy of the code.
            Might be something I can integrate into podPress as another optional
            feature, like premium podcasting is.

            As far as the feed load issue, I just had put a script together for this
            as well. But mine if focused on working with wordpress

            http://www.mightyseek.com/forum/showpost.php?p=870&postcount=4

            isaac@... wrote:
            > The problem with releasing tools (and even more so if you were going
            > to sell 'em) is that it's a lot easier to program for internal use
            > than for public distribution. A lot of what we've done is intimately
            > tied in with the specific structure of our website and database.
            >
            > But I'm sure if there was any interest, I could package up the PHP
            > code I've written for stitching together MP3 files and adding /
            > removing ID3 tags.
            >
            > I've also recently create a little script that helps with the annoying
            > RSS traffic spike, where your server gets slammed for a couple hours
            > after you update your feed. The script essentially hands out the
            > updated feed slowly and in a controlled manner (giving everyone else
            > the non-updated feed) to help distribute the spike. It's done wonders
            > for us.
            >
            > So if anyone wants any of these, let me know and I'll take the time to
            > clean up the code and offer it, open source.
            >
            > Also, as a pure shameless plug... at Dailysonic we're looking to add a
            > lot more content to our show, so that listeners have a wider selection
            > to choose from when creating their custom editions. So if anyone is
            > interested in producing a short weekly "Column" (3 - 10 minutes),
            > please let me know!
            >
            > We're trying to steer clear of the whole "Podcast Portal" thing....
            > We're not trying to be another Podshow. Instead of our Columns
            > standing on their own, we really want them to be a part of a larger
            > customizable show.
            >
            > If you're interested (or know anyone who is) drop me a line.
            >
            > -Isaac
            > dailysonic.com

            - --
            Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
            http://www.mightyseek.com

            In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
            Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.
          • Todd Cochrane
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1 11:31 AM
              I am definitely interested in the stitching, it is something we have been
              wanting to tackle but have not gotten to.

              > So if anyone wants any of these, let me know and I'll take the time to
              > clean up the code and offer it, open source.

            • Geoff Hankerson

                Message 7 of 8 , May 2 9:40 AM
                  Okay guys,

                  I quickly put together a couple of the tools we created for Dailysonic
                  and placed them together in a package I'm calling "Manglepod":

                  http://www.dailysonic.com/manglepod/

                  So far there are only two sets of scripts, because they were the ones
                  I could clean up on short notice (there'll be more to come in the
                  future):

                  stitchit - A small collection of tools for stitching together
                  individual mp3 files into a single file on the fly.

                  rssLube - A load distributor for RSS feeds with enclosures, so smaller
                  servers don't get slammed with audio (or video) file downloads right
                  after the feed is updated.

                  I've adapted these things from Dailysonic's source code, but I haven't
                  had time to rigorously test it all in its modified form, hence the
                  version 0.1. Feedback is appreciated. If the documentation provided
                  isn't clear, let me know.

                  All files are released under the GPL.

                  -Isaac