Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcast Academy Day Two

  • Andy Armstrong
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 29 8:54 AM
      On 29 Apr 2006, at 16:47, Joel Haasnoot wrote:

      > That's really weird... I must be blocked from this side of the planet
      > or something because I'm getting a 404 on the stream, both from
      > firefox and from my realplayer... Anybody else with the same problem?

      The feed URL is

      http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/encoder/podacad.rm

      right? So it's on port 8080 rather than the normal port for HTTP -
      80. It may be that you have a firewall that's blocking port 8080 or
      some similar problem.

      For what it's worth it's working fine for me in the UK.

      --
      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
    • Joel Haasnoot
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 29 10:31 AM
        Thanks for the help all y'all...
        I doubt it's a software issue though, I get a 404 from the server, I
        would get a different error if I couldn't reach the server...
        Next time...

        Joel

        On 4/29/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:
        > On 29 Apr 2006, at 16:47, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
        >
        > > That's really weird... I must be blocked from this side of the planet
        > > or something because I'm getting a 404 on the stream, both from
        > > firefox and from my realplayer... Anybody else with the same problem?
        >
        > The feed URL is
        >
        > http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/encoder/podacad.rm
        >
        > right? So it's on port 8080 rather than the normal port for HTTP -
        > 80. It may be that you have a firewall that's blocking port 8080 or
        > some similar problem.
        >
        > For what it's worth it's working fine for me in the UK.
        >
        > --
        > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

        ------------------------------------
        Joel Haasnoot
        Host of the TG^3 Review
        Geek & Programmer
        -- Check out www.sugapod.com --
      • Andy Armstrong
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 29 10:36 AM
          On 29 Apr 2006, at 18:31, Joel Haasnoot wrote:

          > Thanks for the help all y'all...
          > I doubt it's a software issue though, I get a 404 from the server, I
          > would get a different error if I couldn't reach the server...

          Yes, but port 8080 may be being transparently proxied to some other
          server by your ISP for some reason - so it may not be a 404 from /
          that/ server.

          As a matter of interest what do you get for

          http://hexten.net:8080/

          --
          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
        • Joel Haasnoot
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 29 10:40 AM
            That works fine...
            I've got a program that allows me to capture streams and streaming
            media, and I can see exactly what it does... It connects to the server
            fine, but gets a 404. You are right though, could be that my port 8080
            is being blocked by the firewall.

            Joel

            On 4/29/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:
            > On 29 Apr 2006, at 18:31, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks for the help all y'all...
            > > I doubt it's a software issue though, I get a 404 from the server, I
            > > would get a different error if I couldn't reach the server...
            >
            > Yes, but port 8080 may be being transparently proxied to some other
            > server by your ISP for some reason - so it may not be a 404 from /
            > that/ server.
            >
            > As a matter of interest what do you get for
            >
            > http://hexten.net:8080/
            >
            > --
            > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

            ------------------------------------
            Joel Haasnoot
            Host of the TG^3 Review
            Geek & Programmer
            -- Check out www.sugapod.com --
          • Andy Armstrong
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 29 10:43 AM
              On 29 Apr 2006, at 18:40, Joel Haasnoot wrote:

              > That works fine...

              Well it shoudn't work at all - that's my point - my server isn't
              listening on port 8080. Therefore it seems likely that something else
              on your network is responding to requests on 8080.

              > I've got a program that allows me to capture streams and streaming
              > media, and I can see exactly what it does... It connects to the server
              > fine, but gets a 404. You are right though, could be that my port 8080
              > is being blocked by the firewall.
              >
              > Joel
              >
              > On 4/29/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:
              >> On 29 Apr 2006, at 18:31, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
              >>
              >>> Thanks for the help all y'all...
              >>> I doubt it's a software issue though, I get a 404 from the server, I
              >>> would get a different error if I couldn't reach the server...
              >>
              >> Yes, but port 8080 may be being transparently proxied to some other
              >> server by your ISP for some reason - so it may not be a 404 from /
              >> that/ server.
              >>
              >> As a matter of interest what do you get for
              >>
              >> http://hexten.net:8080/
              >>
              >> --
              >> Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
            • Joel Haasnoot
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 29 10:48 AM
                Thank for the pointer... It's probably my ISP with strict filtering
                doing stupid things again. I'm guessing they're doing it because lots
                of proxies also work on the same IP... (maybe...)

                Joel

                On 4/29/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:
                > On 29 Apr 2006, at 18:40, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
                >
                > > That works fine...
                >
                > Well it shoudn't work at all - that's my point - my server isn't
                > listening on port 8080. Therefore it seems likely that something else
                > on your network is responding to requests on 8080.
                >
                > > I've got a program that allows me to capture streams and streaming
                > > media, and I can see exactly what it does... It connects to the server
                > > fine, but gets a 404. You are right though, could be that my port 8080
                > > is being blocked by the firewall.
                > >
                > > Joel

                > >> Yes, but port 8080 may be being transparently proxied to some other
                > >> server by your ISP for some reason - so it may not be a 404 from /
                > >> that/ server.
                > >>
                > >> As a matter of interest what do you get for
                > >>
                > >> http://hexten.net:8080/
                > >>
                > >> --
                > >> Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                ------------------------------------
                Joel Haasnoot
                Host of the TG^3 Review
                Geek & Programmer
                -- Check out www.sugapod.com --
              • C.C. Chapman
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 29 11:42 AM
                  I checked with the head of the communication college here and she informed
                  me that nothing is blocked from this side. It's wide open from this side.

                  I'm guessing the port is blocked on your side.

                  But, ALL the sessions and presentations will be available at
                  http://www.bu.edu/com/podcast/archive.html

                  -C.C.

                  _____

                  I've got a program that allows me to capture streams and streaming
                  media, and I can see exactly what it does... It connects to the server
                  fine, but gets a 404. You are right though, could be that my port 8080
                  is being blocked by the firewall.

                  Joel

                  On 4/29/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:
                  > On 29 Apr 2006, at 18:31, Joel Haasnoot wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks for the help all y'all...
                  > > I doubt it's a software issue though, I get a 404 from the server, I
                  > > would get a different error if I couldn't reach the server...
                  >
                  > Yes, but port 8080 may be being transparently proxied to some other
                  > server by your ISP for some reason - so it may not be a 404 from /
                  > that/ server.
                  >
                  > As a matter of interest what do you get for
                  >
                  > http://hexten.net:8080/
                  >
                  > --
                  > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                  ------------------------------------
                  Joel Haasnoot
                  Host of the TG^3 Review
                  Geek & Programmer
                  -- Check out www.sugapod.com --

                  Communication
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi
                  cation+and+networking&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&c=3&s=80&.si
                  g=A8JypvKmrStpN6fDh9U3Og> and networking Computer
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Communication+and+
                  networking&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&c=3&s=80&.sig=1rOpipQ2G
                  5JuUh4FQdtUjw> security Computer
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Communication+and+
                  networking&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&c=3&s=80&.sig=DoYkI4Rqe
                  _5Hu64wdfCpSQ> training

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "podcasters
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters> " on the web.

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  _____

                • Joel Haasnoot
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 29 11:49 AM
                    Thanks for checking that... I'd have been nice, but life's like that
                    :) The podcasts are put up there really quickly. Complements to
                    whoever does that.

                    Joel

                    ------------------------------------
                    Joel Haasnoot
                    Host of the TG^3 Review
                    Geek & Programmer
                    -- Check out www.sugapod.com --
                  • Joel Haasnoot
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 29 11:57 AM
                      Problem solved.... I put a anonymous proxy in and I was able to get
                      the ram file, allowing me to connect.
                      Thanks for the suggestions,
                      Joel

                      --
                      ------------------------------------
                      Joel Haasnoot
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 29 12:00 PM
                        Same person. I told them that I wished every conference worked like this.
                        Kudos to Doug Kaye and his whole team. They have done an amazing job with
                        this.

                        -C.C.

                        _____

                        On 4/29/06, C.C. Chapman <cc@...> wrote:
                        > I checked with the head of the communication college here and she informed
                        > me that nothing is blocked from this side. It's wide open from this side.
                        >
                        > I'm guessing the port is blocked on your side.
                        >
                        > But, ALL the sessions and presentations will be available at
                        > http://www.bu.edu/com/podcast/archive.html
                        >
                        > -C.C.
                        >

                        > _____

                        Service