HotRecorder-PowerGramo-Pamela/Skype (long)

  • Dennis Hays
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
      A few words on Skype recording (Windows)...

      I currently produce two shows. The Secrets of Digital
      Imaging is usually just me barking into a live mic, but
      from time to time, I interview people influential in
      photography. Not really too difficult, a 30 minute chat
      session that floats gently into Adobe Audition. I may have
      to adjust the Skype connection for levels, but really not
      too labor intensive (see below for more detail).

      I also produce a Blues and Jazz show, where most of my shows
      are interviews with artists and I play 5 or 6 tracks. This
      show has a higher degree of difficulty, as I record about
      10 minutes of dialog and then drop in a track, speak for
      another 10 minutes, another track, and so forth.

      The blues show has required additional attention due to the
      shifting back and forth between tracks and dialog and
      making certain the levels are cool. I want the dialog to be
      mono so the listener hears the conversation in both ears,
      but the musical tracks I want to be stereo.

      Originally, I tried HotRecorder. IMPO, as close to junk as a
      product of this type can be. Here's where a software
      publisher created a proprietary format for recording and
      then requires you (only available if you've purchased a
      license) to use a separate utility to convert the
      proprietary format to a WAV format--and that to a
      non-standard sample rate! However, they do offer, in the
      purchased version, recording the mic and Skype in two
      channels, making it easier for editing. But, and here's my
      main gripe, this poorly written (and that's a compliment)
      software tends to drop the recording. More than once, I'd
      completed a call and clicked HotRecorder to save the file
      and it hung. At the end, no file, no interview, and now, no
      HotRecorder. So, if you're contemplating purchasing
      HotRecorder, don't! That's my professional recommendation.

      After being thwarted by HotRecorder's inability to do one
      fundamental operation--save the file--I tried, and
      subsequently purchased PowerGramo
      (http://www.powergramo.com - USD$19.95). Since using it,
      I've never dropped a call, lost a recording or had to worry
      about converting a proprietary file format into something
      usable. Well done, PowerGramo people.

      At this top of this long-winded missive, I mentioned
      recording segments for my Blues and Jazz show as well as
      the usual need to balance levels between the mic and Skype.
      Based on this need, I've tried Pamela
      (http://www.pamela-systems.com/ - Standard USD$7.50,
      Professional USD$21.50). A breath of fresh air. I do like
      the two sliders enabling me to make real-time level
      adjustments and Pamela allows saving in either WAV or MP3
      format. But, for me, it's the ease of starting and stopping
      recording to create separate files for separate segments
      that I can just drop into Audition. Now, it's just a matter
      of assembling the files to make a complete show.

      I still have more I want to do with Pamela, but with its
      extensive features, including a robust Skype voice mail
      module, it will take me some time to wade through them. As
      of now, I'll have to rate Pamela as my primary and
      PowerGramo as the backup (just in case).

      BTW, I have no affiliation with any of these products--I'm
      just trying to do what most of you are doing--produce a
      great sounding podcast with as little effort as possible.

      Thanks for indulging me, but I thought my experiences may be
      worthwhile for some on this list.

      Best,

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Hays
      Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
        I just downloaded Pamela 3 days ago. So far I am very happy with it. I have
        more testing to do, but so far so good.

        On 4/27/06, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > that I can just drop into Audition. Now, it's just a matter
        > of assembling the files to make a complete show.
        >
        > I still have more I want to do with Pamela, but with its
        > extensive features, including a robust Skype voice mail
        > module, it will take me some time to wade through them. As
        > of now, I'll have to rate Pamela as my primary and
        > PowerGramo as the backup (just in case).
        >
        > BTW, I have no affiliation with any of these products--I'm
        > just trying to do what most of you are doing--produce a
        > great sounding podcast with as little effort as possible.
        >
        > Thanks for indulging me, but I thought my experiences may be
        > worthwhile for some on this list.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Dennis
        >

        > --
        > Dennis Hays
        > Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine

        Gary leland

        Vote for PodcastPickle.com in the Webby Awards.

        Go to

        http://www.podcastpickle.com/includes/pages/misc/webby.php for more info