NPR: Internet Debate: Preserving User Parity

  • Chris Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
      I caught this story on NPR last night, and was curious to see how
      folks thought it would impact podcasting:

      All Things Considered, April 25, 2006 · Should the Internet be divided
      into fast and slow lanes? That's the question at the heart of the
      debate over "network neutrality." Broadband providers have clashed
      with Internet and software companies, who are concerned that giving
      some users preferential treatment for a price effectively shuts out
      competition.

      Page with Audio Link:
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5362403

      -Chris Miller
      Co-Founder and Lead Developer, Podiobooks.com

      Not all those who wander are lost.
    • Matt Kane's Brain
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
        I'm at work, so I can't listen, but if this is what I think it is,
        this is such an incredibly wrong idea.

        Here's a text-only article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/
        content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601624.html

        This will have a negative effect on popular podcasts. You will in
        effect have to pay twice for providing content. Here's a quote from a
        Verizon exec: "The network builders are spending a fortune
        constructing and maintaining the networks that Google intends to ride
        on with nothing but cheap servers," Thorne told a conference marking
        the 10th anniversary of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. "It is
        enjoying a free lunch that should, by any rational account, be the
        lunch of the facilities providers."

        Ridiculous. Verizon's customers are paying for Google's "free lunch".
        Asking Google for more money is a raw profit grab.

        On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:01, Chris Miller wrote:

        > I caught this story on NPR last night, and was curious to see how
        > folks thought it would impact podcasting:
        >
        > All Things Considered, April 25, 2006 · Should the Internet be divided
        > into fast and slow lanes? That's the question at the heart of the
        > debate over "network neutrality." Broadband providers have clashed
        > with Internet and software companies, who are concerned that giving
        > some users preferential treatment for a price effectively shuts out
        > competition.
        >
        > Page with Audio Link:
        > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5362403
        >
        > -Chris Miller
        > Co-Founder and Lead Developer, Podiobooks.com

        matt kane's brain
        http://hydrogenproject.com
        aim -> mkbatwerk || mkbwriu
        mkb@...
      • Paula Berinstein
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
          Chris Miller wrote:

          > I caught this story on NPR last night, and was curious to see how
          > folks thought it would impact podcasting:
          >
          > All Things Considered, April 25, 2006 · Should the Internet be divided
          > into fast and slow lanes? That's the question at the heart of the
          > debate over "network neutrality." Broadband providers have clashed
          > with Internet and software companies, who are concerned that giving
          > some users preferential treatment for a price effectively shuts out
          > competition.
          >
          > Page with Audio Link:
          > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5362403
          >
          > -Chris Miller
          > Co-Founder and Lead Developer, Podiobooks.com

          > Not all those who wander are lost.

          Off the top of my head, I think this is a very bad idea. Those with the
          money will get all the plums. Think Washington (and other) lobbyists.
          The Internet is about leveling playing fields and democratizing
          media--for once. That's what podcasting is not only about, but stands for.

          Paula

          Paula Berinstein
          The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
          http://www.writingshow.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
            On 4/26/06, Paula Berinstein <pberinstein@...> wrote:

            > Off the top of my head, I think this is a very bad idea. Those with the
            > money will get all the plums. Think Washington (and other) lobbyists.
            > The Internet is about leveling playing fields and democratizing
            > media--for once. That's what podcasting is not only about, but stands for.

            Then those of us in the United States must act to prevent it. Educate
            yourself on the issue, help raise public awareness, and most of all,
            write your congressman and senator.

            More here:
            http://www.savetheinternet.org/

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Chris Miller
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
              Yep. Signed the petition today and forwarded it along to others.