Podcasting and Playlists - for Jake

  • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
      OK. I'll bite.

      Can you give a few pointers as to how playlists integrate into podcast feeds?

      Are you suggesting one being created each time a feed is updated to save a need for the listener to do it, for example? If I do it I would programme my blog software (which generates RSS and Podcast feeds at the same time as the web pages) to do it at that point - I wouldn't want a separate step in my process.

      I had a look on http://www.jakeludington.com/ (including the podcast feed) and I couldn't find any playlists <g>.

      Rgds

      Julian

      podcast-review@yahoogroups.com. Reviewed this week:

      * Reading with Rowan
      * The Best of Podcasting

      http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/review/
      > > Offering an MP3 playlist should be ubiquitous for virtually any software
      > > player and offering a playlist in Windows Media or Real would be
      > accessible
      > > to anyone using Linux, Windows or OS X. Expecting someone to offer all
      > > formats for a free effort is somewhat excessive.
      >
      > Ok, so they offer it for Real as well as for Windows Media. (I
      > somewhat doubt that, actually -- most people choose M3U before any

      To repeat myself: Offering an MP3 playlist should be ubiquitous...

      > other format) For Real you'll need SMIL or RAM, and who knows how to
      > do that?

      See handy reference provided by Lucas Gonze above. :P

    • Jake Ludington
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
        This sort of veers off course of the original post. When this thread
        started, there was a suggestion made for services like Podcast Mania and
        Webjay to provide streaming of podcasts for people who want to offer
        streaming in addition to a podcast subscription.

        At the outset, it wasn't made clear that Podcast Mania was disclosing that
        they were wrapping their own advertising around the podcast.

        I suggested that creating a .asx file to handle streaming is something
        anyone could do if streaming was an option they want to offer listeners.

        I am of the (egotistical) opinion that everytime I create something it
        translates directly to building the brand Jake Ludington. I firmly believe
        that brand has value (doesn't matter if the value is $1.00 or $1 million)
        and becomes more valuable over time as I do more things. If a company like
        Podcast Mania (I mention them specifically because they were discussed in
        the original thread) is wrapping their advertising message around my
        podcast, using my bandwidth, they are benefiting from brand Jake Ludington
        because people are, in theory, listening to my podcast because they want to
        hear me, not because they care about Podcast Mania. \

        By giving the streaming playlist generator (in this case Podcast Mania) a
        free commercial in exchange for a few easily generated lines of code, I get
        the convenience of an auto-generated stream at the price of branding Podcast
        Mania. The risk becomes that as brand Jake Ludington becomes a desired
        podcast/audio stream, people will assume they can only find it in
        association with Podcast Mania and will look there first instead of looking
        directly to the source. To this end, offering a more equitable co-branding
        would be win/win for the podcaster and the streaming playlist generator.

        Tying this into your question about integrating a streaming playlist with a
        feed; this isn't something you include in the feed. To my knowledge, there
        isn't a single portable device capable of playing back a .asf, .asx, .m3u or
        other playlist type. The portable players may use playlists, but they need
        the accompanying audio files to make playback possible.

        The streaming option would be for listeners who either:

        a) Don't understand podcasting and don't want to
        b) Want to listen to the show without downloading it
        c) Want to hear you doing something more dynamic or live

        Jake Ludington
        http://www.snyc2play.com
        http://www.jakeludington.com
        http://www.chrispirilloshow.com

      • Nonya
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          Jake,
          I'm not some evil monster trying to co-opt peoples podcasts. I
          actually wrote the site because I was tired of downloading crap, and
          maybe not even listening to it. I don't have evil plans about
          branding, or letting people only get their podcasts from me, or any
          non compete agreements, or exclusivity contracts, or any of that nonsense.
          My site just makes things easier. And I promise you that once people
          see what I'm doing, they will copy it, and it will be common. If the
          podcasters don't want ads, they don't have to have them. But there
          are podcasters out there that are doing all that they can to track
          down sponsors and make a profit at this, maybe just to help with
          bandwidth, and if I can provide that to them, with no effort on their
          part (much like Google ads I might add) then I see no harm in that.
          Again, things get easier for the end user.

          Now, to put my money where my mouth is....Julian, if you would like a
          link to a feed without any wrapper on it, I can whip one up for you.

          Back to this...
          > The streaming option would be for listeners who either:
          >
          > a) Don't understand podcasting and don't want to
          > b) Want to listen to the show without downloading it
          > c) Want to hear you doing something more dynamic or live

          You don't need an ipod to enjoy podcasting or to understand it, and
          who wants to deal with the file management issues of downloading all
          those podcasts. I had to regularly prune the gig or so of podcasts
          that ipodder was dumping on my drive. It Sucked...that's why this
          site was written...to save me the headache of managing those files.
          I think it's elitest to suggest that one has to "understand"
          podcasting to enjoy the content of these programs.

          In any case, have a nice day guys. Let me know if you want that feed
          Julian

          -Hank Lynch
          www.podcastmania.com

        • Jake Ludington
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
            > I'm not some evil monster trying to co-opt peoples podcasts. I

            I apologize if that's how it sounded. I am not meaning to imply that you
            have anything but good intentions. You were the example brought up and so I
            was sticking with that example.

            > actually wrote the site because I was tired of downloading crap, and
            > maybe not even listening to it. I don't have evil plans about
            > branding, or letting people only get their podcasts from me, or any
            > non compete agreements, or exclusivity contracts, or any of that nonsense.
            > My site just makes things easier. And I promise you that once people

            Your site does make things easier. Over the short term, that's great. People
            need to look at a long term view. If 10,000 people go to your site to hear a
            podcast on a regular basis and a year from now, you decide it's not worth
            your time to keep providing the service you currently provide, chances are
            good that a large percentage of those 10,000 will not transfer over to
            wherever the show becomes accessible in the future. A large portion of the
            audience will be lost. I'm not singling out Podcast Mania, I'm trying to
            make people aware of the risks of losing control of their listener base.

            > see what I'm doing, they will copy it, and it will be common. If the
            > podcasters don't want ads, they don't have to have them. But there
            > are podcasters out there that are doing all that they can to track
            > down sponsors and make a profit at this, maybe just to help with

            Our show is one of the ones making money, both as a stream and as a
            downloadable file. I guess I missed the part of your site where you mention
            how you are going to help people offset their costs and get sponsors.

            > bandwidth, and if I can provide that to them, with no effort on their
            > part (much like Google ads I might add) then I see no harm in that.
            > Again, things get easier for the end user.

            Google Adsense does provide reciprocity in the form of payment for clicks,
            which is a different model, unless you are proposing to launch a service to
            find podcasters advertisers and keep some sort of agency fee, which is a
            completely different opportunity.

            > Now, to put my money where my mouth is....Julian, if you would like a
            > link to a feed without any wrapper on it, I can whip one up for you.

            Well done!

            > > The streaming option would be for listeners who either:
            > >
            > > a) Don't understand podcasting and don't want to
            > > b) Want to listen to the show without downloading it
            > > c) Want to hear you doing something more dynamic or live
            > >

            > You don't need an ipod to enjoy podcasting or to understand it, and
            > who wants to deal with the file management issues of downloading all
            > those podcasts. I had to regularly prune the gig or so of podcasts
            > that ipodder was dumping on my drive. It Sucked...that's why this
            > site was written...to save me the headache of managing those files.
            > I think it's elitest to suggest that one has to "understand"
            > podcasting to enjoy the content of these programs.

            The fact of the matter is, there is an insane level of hassle required to
            understand podcasting at this point. You need to know what RSS is and how to
            subscribe (which is still an uphill battle). You need to know what an
            iPodder client app is and where to get one. You need to know how to get the
            .NET framework in some cases. You need to know how to get the downloaded app
            from your podcasting client to your portable player. That's not elitist;
            that's reality. I was among the first people with tutorials on how to get a
            podcast using non-iPod players specifically because many people are under
            the false impression that an iPod is required. Streaming is another
            alternative way to get the information without needing to understand the
            steps required to subscribe.

            Jake
          • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
              Jake

              Thanks for the comments. I mostly agree with you.

              >The streaming option would be for listeners who either:

              >a) Don't understand podcasting and don't want to
              >b) Want to listen to the show without downloading it
              >c) Want to hear you doing something more dynamic or live

              I'dd three more to that list:

              Listeners who:

              d) Want to dip into a lot of shows without having to subscribe to a lot of feeds or download a lot of MP3s.
              e) Don't have the bandwidth to download a lot of shows. I'd identify dialup listeners as in this category.
              f) Don't want to wait.

              Julian

            • Harold Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
                On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:21:48 -0800, Jake Ludington
                <jake@...> wrote:

                > I was among the first people with tutorials on how to get a
                > podcast using non-iPod players specifically because many people are under
                > the false impression that an iPod is required. Streaming is another
                > alternative way to get the information without needing to understand the
                > steps required to subscribe.

                Jake, what's the URL for that tutorial? I'd like to include a link to
                it on audioblogs.info.

                Harold Johnson
                http://audioblogs.info
              • Jake Ludington
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
                  > Jake, what's the URL for that tutorial? I'd like to include a link to
                  > it on audioblogs.info.

                  http://www.jakeludington.com/how_to_help/20041008_podcasting_with_windows_me
                  dia_player_podcasting_part_1.html

                  Jake