Podcast Preservation Foundation

  • Evo Terra
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      You may see this popping up in a variety of online news sources today:

      PODCAST PRESERVATION FOUNDATION BEGINS ACTIVITIES
      San Antonio, TX - A new activist group has formed and is pushing state,
      national and world-wide legislation to help preserve and maintain the
      historical value of the new media phenomenon known as podcasting.

      "We've seen incredible growth in the last two years" says founding
      member Steve Eley of Escape Pod, one of the first podcasts made
      available. "A driving concern is that this rapid growth and huge success
      could result in further change which may take podcasting down a road
      completely foreign to the original intentions of our chosen profession".
      He sites recent incursions by several large media companies into the
      realm of podcasting as well as new devices and distribution models as
      evidence as the need for further action.

      According to CC Chapman of Accident Hash, "Record companies are the
      among the biggest offenders and are literally flooding our 'airwaves'
      with commercial music. In a few years it will be nearly impossible for
      the independent artist to be heard above the din."

      Adam Curry agrees. "We need to stem the tide of commercial dollars
      before it overwhelms our movement. I think advertising and sponsorship
      deals are one of the biggest inhibitors to our future growth. We need to
      keep these incursions in check, and PodShow is committed to keeping the
      big guys at bay".

      But not everyone is thrilled at the potential impact of the group.
      "Personally, I'm not comfortable giving my my six-figure sponsorship
      deal with Pepsi, or my licensing deal with Arista records. If I can put
      my kids through college through podcasting... who are these guys to take
      that away from me". That's from Dan Klass formerly of The Bitterest
      Pill, recently acquired by Clear Channel Communications.

      Senator John Edwards, the first political candidate to podcast his
      platform in 2005, agrees in principal with the foundation, and has
      promised to introduce legislation which would make a legal definition
      for the term "podcasting". "We're just getting started", said Sen.
      Edwards "and by the time this is done, I'm confident that international
      groups all the way up the UN will stand behind this critical piece of
      legislation. Podcasting is important, and I think it's equally as
      important to preserve it in it's truest form.

      -----

      --
      Evo Terra | DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com
    • sam@samchupp.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        April Fool's to you too, Evo ;)