Re: [podcasters] Help using my own domain name as home page blog & feed for libsyn

  • MissPeter
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 6:38 AM
      from the top tabs - Settings --> Advanced --> public rss feed: Use
      *blank* as rss URL instead of default

      peter

      On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
      > I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial for how
      > to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
      >
      > Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
      > feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my libsyn
      > feed.
      >
      > I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
      > simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is fairly
      > disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to porn
      > -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
      >
      > Bill
      >

      > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
      >
      > / / \ \ \ \
      > / / / \ \ \ \ \
      > / / \/ O O \ \
      > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
      > / / \/ \
      > \/ \/ \
      > \/ \
      > __o \/ \
      > `\<,_ \/ \
      > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

      http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 6:52 AM
        So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that my
        domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
        clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want --
        so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.

        Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.

        Bill

      • Joel Haasnoot
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 7:03 AM
          Bill,
          I just looked it up: you can redirect the 'name servers' from your old
          registrar (like GoDaddy for instance) to libsyn, and your domain will be
          equal to yourname.libsyn.com. Libsyn charges a $5 setup fee for this.

          Joel

          On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

          > So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that
          > my
          > domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
          > clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want
          > --
          > so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.
          >
          > Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > On 4/1/06 10:33 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option
          > to do
          > > this. THere's two ways.
          > > 1. http redirect
          > > 2. nameserver moving
          > > I do believe though that libsyn officially charges $5 extra if you want
          > > use their nameservers. The second option every domain name registrar
          > should
          > > have. The first option sometimes isn't availible. For instance, I had to
          > pay
          > > $5/year more for http redirects.
          > >
          > > Joel
          > >
          > > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial
          > for
          > >> how
          > >> to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
          > >>
          > >> Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
          > >> feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my
          > libsyn
          > >> feed.
          > >>
          > >> I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
          > >> simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is
          > fairly
          > >> disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to
          > >> porn
          > >> -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
          > >>
          > >> Bill
          > >>

          > >> http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
          > >>
          > >> / / \ \ \ \
          > >> / / / \ \ \ \ \
          > >> / / \/ O O \ \
          > >> / / / \/ O\ \ \/
          > >> / / \/ \
          > >> \/ \/ \
          > >> \/ \
          > >> __o \/ \
          > >> `\<,_ \/ \
          > >> (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
          > >>

          > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
          >
          > / / \ \ \ \
          > / / / \ \ \ \ \
          > / / \/ O O \ \
          > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
          > / / \/ \
          > \/ \/ \
          > \/ \
          > __o \/ \
          > `\<,_ \/ \
          > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1 7:09 AM
            Thanks

            Where did you look it up?

            On 4/1/06 11:03 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            > I just looked it up: you can redirect the 'name servers' from your old
            > registrar (like GoDaddy for instance) to libsyn, and your domain will be
            > equal to yourname.libsyn.com. Libsyn charges a $5 setup fee for this.
            >
            > Joel
            >
            > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that
            >> my
            >> domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
            >> clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want
            >> --
            >> so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.
            >>
            >> Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.
            >>
            >> Bill
            >>

            >> On 4/1/06 10:33 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option
            >> to do
            >>> this. THere's two ways.
            >>> 1. http redirect

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1 7:25 AM
              If you go to to libysn.com and click on signup or:
              https://www.libsyn.com/signup.php

              Joel

              On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

              > Thanks
              >
              > Where did you look it up?
              >

              > On 4/1/06 11:03 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Bill,
              > > I just looked it up: you can redirect the 'name servers' from your old
              > > registrar (like GoDaddy for instance) to libsyn, and your domain will be
              > > equal to yourname.libsyn.com. Libsyn charges a $5 setup fee for this.
              > >
              > > Joel
              > >
              > > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way
              > that
              > >> my
              > >> domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when
              > someone
              > >> clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I
              > want
              > >> --
              > >> so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.
              > >>
              > >> Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.
              > >>
              > >> Bill

              > >> to do
              > want
              > >> should
              > >> pay

              > >> for

              > libsyn
              > >> libsyn

              > have
              > >> fairly

              > >> http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
              > >>
              > >> / / \ \ \ \
              > >> / / / \ \ \ \ \
              > >> / / \/ O O \ \
              > >> / / / \/ O\ \ \/
              > >> / / \/ \
              > >> \/ \/ \
              > >> \/ \
              > >> __o \/ \
              > >> `\<,_ \/ \
              > >> (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
              > >>

              > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
              >
              > / / \ \ \ \
              > / / / \ \ \ \ \
              > / / \/ O O \ \
              > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
              > / / \/ \
              > \/ \/ \
              > \/ \
              > __o \/ \
              > `\<,_ \/ \
              > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1 7:49 AM
                Thanks -- I wonder I guess I'm the only one who didn't see that there...

              • Dave Jackson
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3 8:13 AM
                  Bill,
                  You can forward a domain at godaddy.com (no charge). For example if you are going to http://www.podcastingshirts.com/ what you are REALLY doing is going to http://www.cafepress.com/podcastingshirt

                  Another example: When the type in www.thepodcastfreak.com Go Daddy says, "Hey you lookin for that web site? - its over there" and it provides the capability to mask the true website (so people don't see www.jammindave.com in this case) it also allows you to specify keywords.

                  I've got a tutorial showing how to do this at the school of podcasting (its really not that tough).

                  Dave Jackson
                  www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                  So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that my
                  domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
                  clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want --
                  so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.

                  Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.

                  Bill

                  On 4/1/06 10:33 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:

                  > Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option to do
                  > this. THere's two ways.
                  > 1. http redirect
                  > 2. nameserver moving
                  > I do believe though that libsyn officially charges $5 extra if you want to
                  > use their nameservers. The second option every domain name registrar should
                  > have. The first option sometimes isn't availible. For instance, I had to pay
                  > $5/year more for http redirects.
                  >
                  > Joel
                  >
                  > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial for
                  >> how
                  >> to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
                  >>
                  >> Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
                  >> feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my libsyn
                  >> feed.
                  >>
                  >> I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
                  >> simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is fairly
                  >> disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to
                  >> porn
                  >> -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
                  >>
                  >> Bill
                  >>

                  >> http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
                  >>
                  >> / / \ \ \ \
                  >> / / / \ \ \ \ \
                  >> / / \/ O O \ \
                  >> / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                  >> / / \/ \
                  >> \/ \/ \
                  >> \/ \
                  >> __o \/ \
                  >> `\<,_ \/ \
                  >> (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

                  / / \ \ \ \
                  / / / \ \ \ \ \
                  / / \/ O O \ \
                  / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                  / / \/ \
                  \/ \/ \
                  \/ \
                  __o \/ \
                  `\<,_ \/ \
                  (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

                • George L Smyth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3 9:51 AM
                    --- Dave Jackson <jacksongei@...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    > You can forward a domain at godaddy.com (no charge). For example if you are
                    > going to http://www.podcastingshirts.com/ what you are REALLY doing is going
                    > to http://www.cafepress.com/podcastingshirt
                    >
                    > Another example: When the type in www.thepodcastfreak.com Go Daddy says, "Hey
                    > you lookin for that web site? - its over there" and it provides the
                    > capability to mask the true website (so people don't see www.jammindave.com
                    > in this case) it also allows you to specify keywords.
                    >
                    > I've got a tutorial showing how to do this at the school of podcasting (its
                    > really not that tough).

                    I just thought I'd mention that while some places charge you for forwarding,
                    you can have it done without charge. For instance, my photographic website
                    http://GLSmyth.com redirects to http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/ (someday I
                    really do need to get it off the Comcast server, but I digress).

                    I do this by going to http://ZoneEdit.com, which is free. It does a number of
                    other things, like redirecting any email to the domain to my real email address
                    - for instance, sending an email to ThisIsObviouslySpam@... will get to
                    my Yahoo email account.

                    Cheers -

                    george