Help using my own domain name as home page blog & feed for libsyn

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
      I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial for how
      to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.

      Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
      feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my libsyn
      feed.

      I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
      simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is fairly
      disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to porn
      -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).

      Bill

      http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

      / / \ \ \ \
      / / / \ \ \ \ \
      / / \/ O O \ \
      / / / \/ O\ \ \/
      / / \/ \
      \/ \/ \
      \/ \
      __o \/ \
      `\<,_ \/ \
      (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
    • Joel Haasnoot
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
        Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option to do
        this. THere's two ways.
        1. http redirect
        2. nameserver moving
        I do believe though that libsyn officially charges $5 extra if you want to
        use their nameservers. The second option every domain name registrar should
        have. The first option sometimes isn't availible. For instance, I had to pay
        $5/year more for http redirects.

        Joel

        On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

        > I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial for
        > how
        > to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
        >
        > Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
        > feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my libsyn
        > feed.
        >
        > I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
        > simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is fairly
        > disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to
        > porn
        > -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
        >
        > Bill
        >

        > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
        >
        > / / \ \ \ \
        > / / / \ \ \ \ \
        > / / \/ O O \ \
        > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
        > / / \/ \
        > \/ \/ \
        > \/ \
        > __o \/ \
        > `\<,_ \/ \
        > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

      • MissPeter
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
          from the top tabs - Settings --> Advanced --> public rss feed: Use
          *blank* as rss URL instead of default

          peter

          On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
          > I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial for how
          > to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
          >
          > Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
          > feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my libsyn
          > feed.
          >
          > I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
          > simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is fairly
          > disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to porn
          > -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
          >
          > / / \ \ \ \
          > / / / \ \ \ \ \
          > / / \/ O O \ \
          > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
          > / / \/ \
          > \/ \/ \
          > \/ \
          > __o \/ \
          > `\<,_ \/ \
          > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

          http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
            So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that my
            domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
            clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want --
            so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.

            Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
              Bill,
              I just looked it up: you can redirect the 'name servers' from your old
              registrar (like GoDaddy for instance) to libsyn, and your domain will be
              equal to yourname.libsyn.com. Libsyn charges a $5 setup fee for this.

              Joel

              On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

              > So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that
              > my
              > domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
              > clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want
              > --
              > so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.
              >
              > Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.
              >
              > Bill
              >

              > On 4/1/06 10:33 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option
              > to do
              > > this. THere's two ways.
              > > 1. http redirect
              > > 2. nameserver moving
              > > I do believe though that libsyn officially charges $5 extra if you want
              > > use their nameservers. The second option every domain name registrar
              > should
              > > have. The first option sometimes isn't availible. For instance, I had to
              > pay
              > > $5/year more for http redirects.
              > >
              > > Joel
              > >
              > > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial
              > for
              > >> how
              > >> to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
              > >>
              > >> Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
              > >> feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my
              > libsyn
              > >> feed.
              > >>
              > >> I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
              > >> simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is
              > fairly
              > >> disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to
              > >> porn
              > >> -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
              > >>
              > >> Bill
              > >>

              > >> http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
              > >>
              > >> / / \ \ \ \
              > >> / / / \ \ \ \ \
              > >> / / \/ O O \ \
              > >> / / / \/ O\ \ \/
              > >> / / \/ \
              > >> \/ \/ \
              > >> \/ \
              > >> __o \/ \
              > >> `\<,_ \/ \
              > >> (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
              > >>

              > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
              >
              > / / \ \ \ \
              > / / / \ \ \ \ \
              > / / \/ O O \ \
              > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
              > / / \/ \
              > \/ \/ \
              > \/ \
              > __o \/ \
              > `\<,_ \/ \
              > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
                Thanks

                Where did you look it up?

                On 4/1/06 11:03 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                > I just looked it up: you can redirect the 'name servers' from your old
                > registrar (like GoDaddy for instance) to libsyn, and your domain will be
                > equal to yourname.libsyn.com. Libsyn charges a $5 setup fee for this.
                >
                > Joel
                >
                > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that
                >> my
                >> domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
                >> clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want
                >> --
                >> so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.
                >>
                >> Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.
                >>
                >> Bill
                >>

                >> On 4/1/06 10:33 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option
                >> to do
                >>> this. THere's two ways.
                >>> 1. http redirect

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
                  If you go to to libysn.com and click on signup or:
                  https://www.libsyn.com/signup.php

                  Joel

                  On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Where did you look it up?
                  >

                  > On 4/1/06 11:03 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Bill,
                  > > I just looked it up: you can redirect the 'name servers' from your old
                  > > registrar (like GoDaddy for instance) to libsyn, and your domain will be
                  > > equal to yourname.libsyn.com. Libsyn charges a $5 setup fee for this.
                  > >
                  > > Joel
                  > >
                  > > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way
                  > that
                  > >> my
                  > >> domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when
                  > someone
                  > >> clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I
                  > want
                  > >> --
                  > >> so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.
                  > >>
                  > >> Bill

                  > >> to do
                  > want
                  > >> should
                  > >> pay

                  > >> for

                  > libsyn
                  > >> libsyn

                  > have
                  > >> fairly

                  > >> http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
                  > >>
                  > >> / / \ \ \ \
                  > >> / / / \ \ \ \ \
                  > >> / / \/ O O \ \
                  > >> / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                  > >> / / \/ \
                  > >> \/ \/ \
                  > >> \/ \
                  > >> __o \/ \
                  > >> `\<,_ \/ \
                  > >> (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
                  > >>

                  > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
                  >
                  > / / \ \ \ \
                  > / / / \ \ \ \ \
                  > / / \/ O O \ \
                  > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                  > / / \/ \
                  > \/ \/ \
                  > \/ \
                  > __o \/ \
                  > `\<,_ \/ \
                  > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
                    Thanks -- I wonder I guess I'm the only one who didn't see that there...

                  • Dave Jackson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Bill,
                      You can forward a domain at godaddy.com (no charge). For example if you are going to http://www.podcastingshirts.com/ what you are REALLY doing is going to http://www.cafepress.com/podcastingshirt

                      Another example: When the type in www.thepodcastfreak.com Go Daddy says, "Hey you lookin for that web site? - its over there" and it provides the capability to mask the true website (so people don't see www.jammindave.com in this case) it also allows you to specify keywords.

                      I've got a tutorial showing how to do this at the school of podcasting (its really not that tough).

                      Dave Jackson
                      www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                      So if I register a new podcast with libsyn I can do it in such a way that my
                      domain is used for everything instead of the libsyn one? And, when someone
                      clicks on my domain name it will load the libsyn blog? That's what I want --
                      so that when I publicize my domain name it will be just that.

                      Thanks for telling me about that $5 a year extra option.

                      Bill

                      On 4/1/06 10:33 AM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:

                      > Whoever you registered your domain name with should give you an option to do
                      > this. THere's two ways.
                      > 1. http redirect
                      > 2. nameserver moving
                      > I do believe though that libsyn officially charges $5 extra if you want to
                      > use their nameservers. The second option every domain name registrar should
                      > have. The first option sometimes isn't availible. For instance, I had to pay
                      > $5/year more for http redirects.
                      >
                      > Joel
                      >
                      > On 4/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I just searched on the Libsyn forum to try to find a simple tutorial for
                      >> how
                      >> to use your own damain and web page in conjunction with libsyn.
                      >>
                      >> Right now I have http://mysite.libsyn.com as the location for my libsyn
                      >> feed. I would like http://www.mysite.com to be the location for my libsyn
                      >> feed.
                      >>
                      >> I'm not only asking that here because I know one of you guys will have
                      >> simple instructions for this but also because the libsyn forum is fairly
                      >> disorganized (although presently it's a good place to look for links to
                      >> porn
                      >> -- there's lots of posts there about nice porn).
                      >>
                      >> Bill
                      >>

                      >> http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
                      >>
                      >> / / \ \ \ \
                      >> / / / \ \ \ \ \
                      >> / / \/ O O \ \
                      >> / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                      >> / / \/ \
                      >> \/ \/ \
                      >> \/ \
                      >> __o \/ \
                      >> `\<,_ \/ \
                      >> (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
                      >>

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

                      / / \ \ \ \
                      / / / \ \ \ \ \
                      / / \/ O O \ \
                      / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                      / / \/ \
                      \/ \/ \
                      \/ \
                      __o \/ \
                      `\<,_ \/ \
                      (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

                    • George L Smyth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                        --- Dave Jackson <jacksongei@...> wrote:

                        > Bill,
                        > You can forward a domain at godaddy.com (no charge). For example if you are
                        > going to http://www.podcastingshirts.com/ what you are REALLY doing is going
                        > to http://www.cafepress.com/podcastingshirt
                        >
                        > Another example: When the type in www.thepodcastfreak.com Go Daddy says, "Hey
                        > you lookin for that web site? - its over there" and it provides the
                        > capability to mask the true website (so people don't see www.jammindave.com
                        > in this case) it also allows you to specify keywords.
                        >
                        > I've got a tutorial showing how to do this at the school of podcasting (its
                        > really not that tough).

                        I just thought I'd mention that while some places charge you for forwarding,
                        you can have it done without charge. For instance, my photographic website
                        http://GLSmyth.com redirects to http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/ (someday I
                        really do need to get it off the Comcast server, but I digress).

                        I do this by going to http://ZoneEdit.com, which is free. It does a number of
                        other things, like redirecting any email to the domain to my real email address
                        - for instance, sending an email to ThisIsObviouslySpam@... will get to
                        my Yahoo email account.

                        Cheers -

                        george