Newbie questions

  • Andrew Z
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
      G'day folks,

      I am looking at entering the world of podcasts but have absolutely no
      idea where to start. What software is available? What hardware do people
      recommend? The "Phone Interviews" thread has been very informative thus far.

      Are there any sites that someone can recommend that has some answers for me?

      Many Thanks,
      Andrew.
    • Sam Chupp
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
        Andrew Z wrote:
        > G'day folks,
        >
        > I am looking at entering the world of podcasts but have absolutely no
        > idea where to start. What software is available? What hardware do people
        > recommend? The "Phone Interviews" thread has been very informative
        > thus far.
        >
        > Are there any sites that someone can recommend that has some answers
        > for me?
        >
        > Many Thanks,
        > Andrew.
        Dear Andrew,

        One of the problems I've come across in getting started podcasting is
        that I've discovered that hardware setups are, to many people, kind of
        like a religious choice; so strongly do they feel, that they can
        scarcely give you a straight answer about such things. It always
        devolves down to "it depends."

        This is because, I've found, once you receive your first microphone, it
        comes coated in some kind of psychotropic virus, that makes you suddenly
        start thinking about buying hundreds of dollars of additional equipment.

        The truth is that you can get your voice squiggles into the computer a
        number of ways. They can be slammed into the machine with a cheap ass
        headphone mic attached to a cheap ass Radio Shack headphone and a cheap
        ass sound card / port on the back of your CPU, which (not to impugn you
        in any way) you probably already have.

        Or the squiggles can be escorted like Royalty into your machine with a
        fancy SLR microphone planted in a sexy multi-dimensional shock mount
        attached to a fancy mixing board. Either way, you're gonna get
        squiggles. It's just that the squiggles are going to be fancier and
        better treated if they go through the royalty treatment.

        I myself have opted to use the Samson C01U, which is a little of the
        best of both worlds. It is a studio microphone, but it is plugged into
        my computer through a USB connection. I have a SoftPreAmp software that
        lets me alter some of the characteristics of the mic, but basically it's
        a straightforward mic. There's only one other USB mic that I know of,
        which is the Blue Snowball USB mic, but some folks have reported not
        liking theirs. I can't tell you about it.

        I can say I've been very happy with my Samson.

        The other cheaper way to go is to get a M-Audio USB Mobile Pre, which
        lets you plug in to your computer through USB, but gives you lovely SLR
        ports that will let you plug in less expensive microphones from
        traditional sources - many mics attach via SLR. The M-Audio even
        supplies phantom power to those microphones that need it. That one is
        gonna be about $100-$150 depending on where you find it.

        Like religion, you're likely to receive enlightenment from many sources,
        so I advise you to listen to the other Words of Truth from Other Sources
        before making the decision about your destiny.

        Good luck, my son. :)

        ...Sam
      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
          --- Andrew Z <wizard@...> wrote:

          > G'day folks,
          >
          > I am looking at entering the world of podcasts but have absolutely no
          > idea where to start. What software is available? What hardware do people
          > recommend? The "Phone Interviews" thread has been very informative thus far.
          >
          > Are there any sites that someone can recommend that has some answers for me?

          Andrew -

          A lot depends upon the type of podcast you are considering. As far as hardware
          is concerned, I decided to go the easy, but more expensive route, and purchase
          a digital recorder (Marantz 660 - there are less expensive alternatives, but
          I'm using it for other things). This allows me to turn off my computer while
          recording so that things are as quiet as possible, and keeps me from having to
          buy the other hardware essentials.

          I would recommend getting a good microphone. No need to go to the $500 range,
          I got a Marshall MXL-990, which is old school but quite affordable. Replacing
          that $4 microphone will definitely help.

          For hardware I would recommend going to http://podcastgear.com/ and asking Paul
          to take your hand to get you going.

          As far as software is concerned, I would recommend Audacity. Not only is it
          free, but when you get fed up with the Big Brother operating systems (Microsoft
          and Apple) and decide to switch to Linux, it will be available on that platform
          also.

          http://podcast411.com/ and subscribe to Rob's podcast, and read as much as you
          can on his site.

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------

          Eclectic Mix - http://EclecticMix.com
          DRiP Investing - http://DRiPInvesting.org
          Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com
          The Prudent Investor - http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=21
        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
            --- George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
            > For hardware I would recommend going to
            > http://podcastgear.com/ and asking Paul
            > to take your hand to get you going.

            Not sure what Paul you meant George, but my site is
            http://podsafegear.com

            I have a broad choice of gear, which is growing by the
            minute. Take a look at either site, and ask questions.

            Paul Puri

            The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
            http://podcastguild.com/

            Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
            http://podsafegear.com

            Unsigned Podcast Network
            The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
            The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
            Skype:unsignedpodcast
            unsignedpodcast@...

            Promotion without shame.
            Podcasting Announcements
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
              On 3/30/06, Sam Chupp <sam@...> wrote:

              > This is because, I've found, once you receive your first microphone, it
              > comes coated in some kind of psychotropic virus, that makes you suddenly
              > start thinking about buying hundreds of dollars of additional equipment.

              Quote of the Day, Sam. >8->
              http://www.podcastpedant.com/2006/03/31/qotd-3/

              http://www.escapepod.org