How Best to Mic Big Meeting Using PMD660?

  • ecogardens
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2006
      I'm new to audio recording and podcasting so please forgive my
      ignorance. I recently purchased a PMD660 to record lectures and TV
      studio interiews at a college.

      What mics and set-up would you recommend for recording a round table
      discussion featuring a prominent speaker and a group of 15-20 students
      seated around a table. The sound quality must be broadcast quality
      since we will offer the recording as a podcast on our Web site and a
      local radio station.

      I've thought about using a wireless lavalier mic for the speaker and
      conference grabber microphones or boundary microphones placed around
      the table to record the conversation. I have no idea what the record
      quality is for conference grabber or boundary microphones.

      Questions
      (1) What set-up would you recommend using and are there any specific
      mics you'd recommend? My budget is limited ($200 max), so I would
      likly purchase if the mics are inexpensive or rent from Audio/visual
      rental place if mics are more expensive.

      (2) I've seen that there are kits that allow you to convert a PMD660's
      two xlr inputs from two to four inputs. Where would I get such a kit.
    • Doug Kaye
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2006
        Doug,

        Here's some info we've published for The Conversations Network (IT
        Conversations).
        http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/faq/submissions/

        If you truly want "broadcast quality" you will need enough mics and
        mixer inputs so that each person is always speaking into a
        microphone. Despite what others may tell you, there is *no* way to
        record a gathering such as this with centralized mics and end up with
        something good enough for broadcast radio. Boundary mics are not
        adequate.

        A wired lavalier will cost you less to rent than a wireless, and
        you're going to need every $$ you've got. Here in San Francisco, I
        doubt you could rent the required gear for $200.

        How about a mic for the lead speaker and 3-4 mics on desktop stands
        for the students. Let 'em share and pass the mics.

        Record the lead speaker on one track and all the students on the
        other track. Ride the levels on the student's mics, closing mics that
        are not in use.

        ...doug

        Doug Kaye, Executive Director
        The Conversations Network