Microphone / iRiver ...

  • Mark Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
      Need some tech advice:

      Just bought an iRiver iFP780 for mobile podcasting purposes, need a
      microphone QUICK that will give me decent sound that works with it ... tried
      Fry's and Best Buy, but no decent mikes at either place ... I live in LA,
      any suggestions???

    • Paula Berinstein
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
        How about the Guitar Store, Mark?

        Paula

        Paula Berinstein
        The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
        http://www.writingshow.com

        > Need some tech advice:
        >
        > Just bought an iRiver iFP780 for mobile podcasting purposes, need a
        > microphone QUICK that will give me decent sound that works with it ...
        > tried
        > Fry's and Best Buy, but no decent mikes at either place ... I live in LA,
        > any suggestions???

        > Communication and networking
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&c=3&s=80&.sig=A8JypvKmrStpN6fDh9U3Og>
        > Computer security
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&c=3&s=80&.sig=1rOpipQ2G5JuUh4FQdtUjw>
        > Computer training
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&c=3&s=80&.sig=DoYkI4Rqe_5Hu64wdfCpSQ>

      • Paul Fischer
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
          I use a Griffin Lapel mic with mine. You can also get good mics at
          your local Apple store. They carry one or two Shure mics. Your best
          bet, if you want a better mic is to find you local Guitar Center or
          other music store.

          Paul Fischer "Paul-san, New Media Ninja Warrior", BSFS
          pfischer @ pfischer . com
          The Website - http://www.pfischer.com
          The Blog - http://www.livejournal.com/users/pafischer/
          The Podcasts - http://addcast.net http://balticonpodcast.org

          On Mar 10, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Mark Jeffrey wrote:

          > Need some tech advice:
          >
          > Just bought an iRiver iFP780 for mobile podcasting purposes, need a
          > microphone QUICK that will give me decent sound that works with
          > it ... tried
          > Fry's and Best Buy, but no decent mikes at either place ... I live
          > in LA,
          > any suggestions???

        • Wendy Van Camp
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
            I'm considering picking up an iriver as well. How much record time does
            the iFP780 allow? I was thinking of getting one with a bit more
            storage...but the price is certainly right on the ifp780.

            --
            Wendy Van Camp
            wvancamp @ earthlink.net

            Hey Chilehead Podcast
            http://www.heychilehead.com

          • Will Brown
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
              > On Mar 10, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Mark Jeffrey wrote:
              >
              > > Need some tech advice:
              > >
              > > Just bought an iRiver iFP780 for mobile podcasting purposes, need a
              > > microphone QUICK that will give me decent sound that works with
              > > it ...

              I just bought these binaural stereo lav mics from Sound Professionals. They
              sound great for $50.

              http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-BMC-2

              I'll be using them for an interview with the iRiver iFP-790 this weekend.

              I've also had good results with the slightly better sounding ones from Giant
              Squid as well.

              http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-stereo1.htm

              Maybe its just me, but I have had a terrible time getting anything but,
              non-powered electret mics to work with the iRiver. Mics that rely on the
              1.5-10v dc power from the recorder.
              The Sony ECM-MS907 worked but terribly low sound input.

              Maybe its just me. Anybody get a handheld mic to work well, let me know.

              Will
              --
              http://www.CloudyDayArt.com
              Poetry - People - Podcast

            • dave_r_riley
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2006
                Sorry I didn't realise the thread was so long... For mics with plug in
                power, check out the range of microphones available from Visivox (A
                Canadian company -- but I'm in Australia):

                http://www.visivoxtechnologies.com/main.htm

                These seem lighter than what may be heavier models being offered by
                Giant Squid.

                There are reviews of the 795 here using Visivox mics :

                http://www.groups.edna.edu.au/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1663

                and

                http://www.groups.edna.edu.au/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1491

                and still more here --

                http://www.groups.edna.edu.au/mod/forum/search.php?search=iriver+&id=273

                Good background. Any other questions: Mistic River.

                dave riley
              • John Federico
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 11, 2006
                  I second the Griffin Lapel mic. As for recording time, I get a little over
                  two hours of mp3 audio at 128 kbps on my IFP780.

                  -jf.