Re: [podcasters] From Geek News Central

  • Patsy Terrell
    Message 1 of 121 , Mar 2, 2006
      Classifieds and comics sell newspapers.

      We have to get old enough and rich enough to care about newspapers. Readership increases as you get older and more secure. Newspaper readers have more education, homes that are worth more, jobs with more responsiblity, and more community ties. Most of us have to "work up" to being a newspaper reader. Of course, those are averages.

      By section, readership falls along these lines:
      Finance
      Classified
      Comics
      Movies
      Food
      Local News

      You'll also find that few newspapers these days talk only about their print versions. Almost all newspapers also look at online reach.

      Newspapers have supposedly been dying a slow death for a long time. But, I think the death knell may be a bit premature. I can't help but notice we're all still reading books, which were also supposedly going to be replaced by devices we would carry around that could hold thousands of books. Most of us have at least one of those devices - a PDA or a phone or whatever that has internet access and can get to thousands of books. I don't know anyone who actually reads a book that way.

      I also predict that radio and television are going to survive as well. VCRs didn't kill movies and telephones didn't stop face to face communication, which was a big worry at the time they were introduced. The old saying can be adapated to say... news of the death of fill-in-the-blank has been greatly exaggerated.

      >Which sells more newspapers... facts or opinions?

      Patsy
      http://www.patsyterrell.com for blog, art, cookbook reviews, journals, etc. http://www.artofgraciousliving.com for podcasts. The Art of Gracious Living is about creating a life that resonates with your spirit.

    • Babolat Sebastien
      Message 121 of 121 , Mar 11, 2006
        > I think that they provide good information to the discussion,
        although some
        > don't agree their views on using podcasting to make money.
        >
        > Will

        Well - Podcasting started for people to share their hobby or
        intterest. If you start a podcast just for some money reason, it can
        work, but is the quality going to be good ?

        Someone passionate about his subject, with just the desire to share
        it, has, in my opinion, more intterest than a money based/driven podcast.

        But, I know getting sponsor is still a great thing, especially when
        you can upgrade the materials and share it back with the listeners.

        I am actually going to try that out = share what the listeners have
        given me.
        By tomorrow, or monday we'll see if they like it.
        i am more looking for an intteraction with the listeners (rather than
        just providing them something).

        Beside that, I still prefer to get a long term sponsor - more like a
        partner, to be safe and sure to have it for a bit, so you can start
        making investment (materials ...).

        Nop ?

        Sebastien
        www.frenchpodclass.com