Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

  • Andy Armstrong
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
      On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
      > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
      > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

      Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

      > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
      > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
      > be informative as well.

      <plug>
      Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
      does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
      worthwhile if you have lots of them.
      </plug>

      --
      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

        > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
        > do
        > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
        >
        > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
        > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
        >
        > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
        > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
        >
        > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
        > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
        > be informative as well.

        Cool..thank you VERY much!

        :)
        --

        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net

      • Adam Varga
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
          Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
          Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
          to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
          or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

          In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

          1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
          version is saved in cache.
          2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
          occurring at any given moment.
          3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
          switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
          cached older version.

          You can get more details here
          http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

          I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
          servers... over at PCA.

          -Adam

        • I Print Stickers
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
            I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
            That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
            Jasper