Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

  • Andy Armstrong
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
      On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
      > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
      > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

      And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
      reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
      will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
      instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
      complete any requests they're handling.

      --
      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
        On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

        > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
        > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
        > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
        >
        > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
        > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
        > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
        > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
        > complete any requests they're handling.
        >
        > --
        > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

        oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
        --

        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

          > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
          > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

          So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
          don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

          A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
          http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

          ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
          following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
          be informative as well.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Andy Armstrong
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
            > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

            Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
            server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

            But the top and bottom of it is

            # apachectl graceful
            <server restarts>

            But why do you think you need to restart the server?

            --
            Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
          • Andy Armstrong
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
              > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
              > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

              Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

              > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
              > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
              > be informative as well.

              <plug>
              Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
              does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
              worthwhile if you have lots of them.
              </plug>

              --
              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
            • Andy Bilodeau
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                > do
                > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                >
                > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                >
                > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                >
                > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                > be informative as well.

                Cool..thank you VERY much!

                :)
                --

                Andy Bilodeau
                PodCaster

                The AndyCast PodCast
                You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                http://www.andycast.net

              • Adam Varga
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                  Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                  Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                  to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                  or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                  In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                  1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                  version is saved in cache.
                  2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                  occurring at any given moment.
                  3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                  switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                  cached older version.

                  You can get more details here
                  http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                  I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                  servers... over at PCA.

                  -Adam

                • I Print Stickers
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                    I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                    That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                    Jasper