Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

  • Andy Bilodeau
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

      > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
      > out
      > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
      > REAL
      > > hard for subscribers.
      >
      > What the.....?
      >
      > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
      > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

      Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

      I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
      "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
      weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
      only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
      listeners) .

      This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
      the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

      Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

      ;-)

      --

      Andy Bilodeau
      PodCaster

      The AndyCast PodCast
      You'll laugh 'til you stop!
      http://www.andycast.net

    • Andy Armstrong
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
        On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
        > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
        > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

        And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
        reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
        will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
        instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
        complete any requests they're handling.

        --
        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
      • Andy Bilodeau
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

          > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
          > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
          > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
          >
          > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
          > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
          > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
          > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
          > complete any requests they're handling.
          >
          > --
          > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

          oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
          --

          Andy Bilodeau
          PodCaster

          The AndyCast PodCast
          You'll laugh 'til you stop!
          http://www.andycast.net

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

            > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
            > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

            So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
            don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

            A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
            http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

            ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
            following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
            be informative as well.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Andy Armstrong
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
              > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

              Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
              server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

              But the top and bottom of it is

              # apachectl graceful
              <server restarts>

              But why do you think you need to restart the server?

              --
              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
            • Andy Armstrong
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                > be informative as well.

                <plug>
                Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                </plug>

                --
                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
              • Andy Bilodeau
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                  > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                  > do
                  > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                  >
                  > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                  > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                  >
                  > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                  > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                  >
                  > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                  > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                  > be informative as well.

                  Cool..thank you VERY much!

                  :)
                  --

                  Andy Bilodeau
                  PodCaster

                  The AndyCast PodCast
                  You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                  http://www.andycast.net

                • Adam Varga
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                    Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                    to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                    or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                    In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                    1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                    version is saved in cache.
                    2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                    occurring at any given moment.
                    3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                    switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                    cached older version.

                    You can get more details here
                    http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                    I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                    servers... over at PCA.

                    -Adam

                  • I Print Stickers
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                      I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                      That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                      Jasper