Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
      On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

      > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
      > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
      > hard for subscribers.

      What the.....?

      Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
      just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

        > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
        > out
        > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
        > REAL
        > > hard for subscribers.
        >
        > What the.....?
        >
        > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
        > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

        Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

        I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
        "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
        weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
        only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
        listeners) .

        This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
        the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

        Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

        ;-)

        --

        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net

      • Andy Armstrong
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
          > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
          > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

          And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
          reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
          will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
          instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
          complete any requests they're handling.

          --
          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
        • Andy Bilodeau
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

            > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
            > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
            > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
            >
            > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
            > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
            > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
            > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
            > complete any requests they're handling.
            >
            > --
            > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

            oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
            --

            Andy Bilodeau
            PodCaster

            The AndyCast PodCast
            You'll laugh 'til you stop!
            http://www.andycast.net

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

              > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
              > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

              So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
              don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

              A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
              http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

              ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
              following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
              be informative as well.

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Andy Armstrong
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
                > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

                Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
                server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

                But the top and bottom of it is

                # apachectl graceful
                <server restarts>

                But why do you think you need to restart the server?

                --
                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
              • Andy Armstrong
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                  On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                  > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                  > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                  Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                  > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                  > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                  > be informative as well.

                  <plug>
                  Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                  does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                  worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                  </plug>

                  --
                  Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                • Andy Bilodeau
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                    > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                    > do
                    > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                    >
                    > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                    > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                    >
                    > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                    >
                    > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                    > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                    > be informative as well.

                    Cool..thank you VERY much!

                    :)
                    --

                    Andy Bilodeau
                    PodCaster

                    The AndyCast PodCast
                    You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                    http://www.andycast.net

                  • Adam Varga
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                      Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                      Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                      to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                      or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                      In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                      1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                      version is saved in cache.
                      2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                      occurring at any given moment.
                      3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                      switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                      cached older version.

                      You can get more details here
                      http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                      I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                      servers... over at PCA.

                      -Adam

                    • I Print Stickers
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                        I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                        That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                        Jasper