Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

  • Andy Bilodeau
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hey Jasper,

      I host my own files ( on a server in my living room...I don't get nor expect
      alot of traffic).

      I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
      shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
      hard for subscribers.

      I'd double check the logs and poll folks as to what time of day they tried
      to get the MP3 files...perhaps there is some system event that is shutting
      down httpd. Pehaps there is some wackiness going on with the
      connectivity...seen that before ..again...due to serving the files from a
      Mac in the living room.

      I'm seriously considering Libsyn....they seem to be doing everything they
      can to help poor starving podcasters...just need to negotiate with the chief
      of finance (aka better half) for the monthly fee...I may have to dip into
      the beer fund..such are the sacrifices that we podcaster must make
      sometimes....It's all for the listeners...

      ;-)

      --

      Andy Bilodeau
      PodCaster

      The AndyCast PodCast
      You'll laugh 'til you stop!
      http://www.andycast.net

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
        On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

        > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
        > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
        > hard for subscribers.

        What the.....?

        Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
        just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Andy Bilodeau
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

          > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
          > out
          > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
          > REAL
          > > hard for subscribers.
          >
          > What the.....?
          >
          > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
          > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

          Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

          I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
          "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
          weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
          only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
          listeners) .

          This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
          the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

          Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

          ;-)

          --

          Andy Bilodeau
          PodCaster

          The AndyCast PodCast
          You'll laugh 'til you stop!
          http://www.andycast.net

        • Andy Armstrong
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
            > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
            > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

            And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
            reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
            will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
            instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
            complete any requests they're handling.

            --
            Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
          • Andy Bilodeau
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

              > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
              > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
              > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
              >
              > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
              > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
              > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
              > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
              > complete any requests they're handling.
              >
              > --
              > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

              oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
              --

              Andy Bilodeau
              PodCaster

              The AndyCast PodCast
              You'll laugh 'til you stop!
              http://www.andycast.net

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

                A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                be informative as well.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Andy Armstrong
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                  On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
                  > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

                  Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
                  server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

                  But the top and bottom of it is

                  # apachectl graceful
                  <server restarts>

                  But why do you think you need to restart the server?

                  --
                  Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                • Andy Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                    On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                    > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                    Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                    > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                    > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                    > be informative as well.

                    <plug>
                    Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                    does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                    worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                    </plug>

                    --
                    Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                  • Andy Bilodeau
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                      > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                      > do
                      > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                      >
                      > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                      > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                      >
                      > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                      > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                      >
                      > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                      > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                      > be informative as well.

                      Cool..thank you VERY much!

                      :)
                      --

                      Andy Bilodeau
                      PodCaster

                      The AndyCast PodCast
                      You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                      http://www.andycast.net

                    • Adam Varga
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                        Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                        Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                        to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                        or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                        In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                        1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                        version is saved in cache.
                        2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                        occurring at any given moment.
                        3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                        switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                        cached older version.

                        You can get more details here
                        http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                        I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                        servers... over at PCA.

                        -Adam

                      • I Print Stickers
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                          I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                          That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                          Jasper