Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

  • Zaldor
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hey man

      Episode 30 started strange, started just before you announce the winner
      (Phil)

      I'm noticing this happening on a few podcasts. First, I thought it was
      libsyn - but I know you don't use libsyn, so now i'm not sure what the
      problem is!!

      -Les

      --
      Les
      -------------

      Proud member of:--
      Detroit Podcasters Network - http://www.detroitpodcasters.net
      AMP - http://www.musicpodcasting.org
      Podcast Outlaws: http://www.podcastoutlaws.com

    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hey Jasper,

        I host my own files ( on a server in my living room...I don't get nor expect
        alot of traffic).

        I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
        shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
        hard for subscribers.

        I'd double check the logs and poll folks as to what time of day they tried
        to get the MP3 files...perhaps there is some system event that is shutting
        down httpd. Pehaps there is some wackiness going on with the
        connectivity...seen that before ..again...due to serving the files from a
        Mac in the living room.

        I'm seriously considering Libsyn....they seem to be doing everything they
        can to help poor starving podcasters...just need to negotiate with the chief
        of finance (aka better half) for the monthly fee...I may have to dip into
        the beer fund..such are the sacrifices that we podcaster must make
        sometimes....It's all for the listeners...

        ;-)

        --

        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

          > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
          > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
          > hard for subscribers.

          What the.....?

          Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
          just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Andy Bilodeau
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

            > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
            > out
            > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
            > REAL
            > > hard for subscribers.
            >
            > What the.....?
            >
            > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
            > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

            Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

            I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
            "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
            weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
            only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
            listeners) .

            This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
            the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

            Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

            ;-)

            --

            Andy Bilodeau
            PodCaster

            The AndyCast PodCast
            You'll laugh 'til you stop!
            http://www.andycast.net

          • Andy Armstrong
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
              > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
              > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

              And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
              reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
              will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
              instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
              complete any requests they're handling.

              --
              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
            • Andy Bilodeau
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
                >
                > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                > complete any requests they're handling.
                >
                > --
                > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
                --

                Andy Bilodeau
                PodCaster

                The AndyCast PodCast
                You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                http://www.andycast.net

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                  On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                  > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                  > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                  So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                  don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

                  A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                  ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                  following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                  be informative as well.

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • Andy Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                    On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
                    > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

                    Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
                    server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

                    But the top and bottom of it is

                    # apachectl graceful
                    <server restarts>

                    But why do you think you need to restart the server?

                    --
                    Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                  • Andy Armstrong
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                      On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                      > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                      > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                      Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                      > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                      > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                      > be informative as well.

                      <plug>
                      Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                      does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                      worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                      </plug>

                      --
                      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                    • Andy Bilodeau
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                        > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                        > do
                        > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                        >
                        > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                        > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                        >
                        > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                        > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                        >
                        > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                        > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                        > be informative as well.

                        Cool..thank you VERY much!

                        :)
                        --

                        Andy Bilodeau
                        PodCaster

                        The AndyCast PodCast
                        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                        http://www.andycast.net

                      • Adam Varga
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                          Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                          Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                          to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                          or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                          In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                          1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                          version is saved in cache.
                          2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                          occurring at any given moment.
                          3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                          switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                          cached older version.

                          You can get more details here
                          http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                          I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                          servers... over at PCA.

                          -Adam

                        • I Print Stickers
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                            I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                            That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                            Jasper