Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
      On 2/28/06, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:
      > I just dont understand why it downloads fine for me through itunes.
      > I wonder if my server is sending corrupt files, when its busy. I
      > dont effin know. I'm totally not experienced in troubleshooting this
      > stuff.

      Where are your files hosted? Have you raised the issue with them?

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • I Print Stickers
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
        Theyre hosted on my sites server. Dunno the provider, my web guy set
        it up.
        I havent thought to bring it in that direction yet. Have you heard
        of this happening before?
        thanks for the response--Jasper

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          On 2/28/06, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:
          > Theyre hosted on my sites server. Dunno the provider, my web guy set
          > it up.
          > I havent thought to bring it in that direction yet. Have you heard
          > of this happening before?

          Your Web guy's the guy you need to be leaning on. Forward him all the
          e-mail you've gotten from listeners on the issue. He needs to check
          the server log for error messages, verify the server settings to be
          sure that it won't cancel out under load or timeout, and provide you
          with the support you're presumably paying for. But it's your
          responsibility to make him aware that there's a problem and give him
          all the information you have about it.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Zaldor
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            Hey man

            Episode 30 started strange, started just before you announce the winner
            (Phil)

            I'm noticing this happening on a few podcasts. First, I thought it was
            libsyn - but I know you don't use libsyn, so now i'm not sure what the
            problem is!!

            -Les

            --
            Les
            -------------

            Proud member of:--
            Detroit Podcasters Network - http://www.detroitpodcasters.net
            AMP - http://www.musicpodcasting.org
            Podcast Outlaws: http://www.podcastoutlaws.com

          • Andy Bilodeau
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              Hey Jasper,

              I host my own files ( on a server in my living room...I don't get nor expect
              alot of traffic).

              I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
              shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
              hard for subscribers.

              I'd double check the logs and poll folks as to what time of day they tried
              to get the MP3 files...perhaps there is some system event that is shutting
              down httpd. Pehaps there is some wackiness going on with the
              connectivity...seen that before ..again...due to serving the files from a
              Mac in the living room.

              I'm seriously considering Libsyn....they seem to be doing everything they
              can to help poor starving podcasters...just need to negotiate with the chief
              of finance (aka better half) for the monthly fee...I may have to dip into
              the beer fund..such are the sacrifices that we podcaster must make
              sometimes....It's all for the listeners...

              ;-)

              --

              Andy Bilodeau
              PodCaster

              The AndyCast PodCast
              You'll laugh 'til you stop!
              http://www.andycast.net

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
                > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
                > hard for subscribers.

                What the.....?

                Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Andy Bilodeau
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                  > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
                  > out
                  > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
                  > REAL
                  > > hard for subscribers.
                  >
                  > What the.....?
                  >
                  > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                  > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                  Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

                  I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
                  "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
                  weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
                  only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
                  listeners) .

                  This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                  the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                  Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

                  ;-)

                  --

                  Andy Bilodeau
                  PodCaster

                  The AndyCast PodCast
                  You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                  http://www.andycast.net

                • Andy Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                    On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                    > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                    > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                    And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                    reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                    will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                    instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                    complete any requests they're handling.

                    --
                    Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                  • Andy Bilodeau
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                      On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                      > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                      > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                      > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
                      >
                      > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                      > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                      > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                      > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                      > complete any requests they're handling.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                      oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
                      --

                      Andy Bilodeau
                      PodCaster

                      The AndyCast PodCast
                      You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                      http://www.andycast.net

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                        On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                        > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                        > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                        So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                        don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

                        A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                        http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                        ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                        following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                        be informative as well.

                        http://www.escapepod.org
                      • Andy Armstrong
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                          On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
                          > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

                          Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
                          server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

                          But the top and bottom of it is

                          # apachectl graceful
                          <server restarts>

                          But why do you think you need to restart the server?

                          --
                          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                        • Andy Armstrong
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                            On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                            > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                            > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                            Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                            > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                            > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                            > be informative as well.

                            <plug>
                            Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                            does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                            worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                            </plug>

                            --
                            Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                          • Andy Bilodeau
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                              > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                              > do
                              > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                              >
                              > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                              > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                              >
                              > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                              > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                              >
                              > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                              > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                              > be informative as well.

                              Cool..thank you VERY much!

                              :)
                              --

                              Andy Bilodeau
                              PodCaster

                              The AndyCast PodCast
                              You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                              http://www.andycast.net

                            • Adam Varga
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                                Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                                Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                                to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                                or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                                In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                                1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                                version is saved in cache.
                                2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                                occurring at any given moment.
                                3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                                switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                                cached older version.

                                You can get more details here
                                http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                                I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                                servers... over at PCA.

                                -Adam

                              • I Print Stickers
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                                  I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                                  That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                                  Jasper