Re: [podcasters] itunes getting partial downloads

  • The PhiLL(er) Podcast
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
      I Print Stickers wrote:
      > Hey Guys. In the last couple weeks, I've had several listeners tell
      > me that itunes is downloading incomplete versions of my shows for
      > some users. It has always downloaded complete episodes for me. So,
      > I dont understand why this would only happen to some subscribers.
      > Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas to remedy it, if possible?
      > All responses are appreciated.
      > Jasper from The Plan Nine Rock Show
      > http://plannineprint.com
      > Shameless Plug: My show is mentioned this month in Spin Magazine.
      > Good TImes!!

      Hey Jasper, I just experienced this on the last show (#29 from 2/26). I
      thought it was kind of an abrupt ending and I guess I know why now. It
      stopped at the 27:58 mark - just after your comments about Spin. I
      wonder if the partial download point is consistent across all users or
      if it is cutting off at a variety of marks.

      Phill

      --
      The PhiLL(er)'s Online Music Program
      site: http://www.thephiller.com/podcast
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hey Phill. Thanks for the response. A listener emailed me today,
        and said it cut off around 3:29. Damn!!
        I just dont understand why it downloads fine for me through itunes.
        I wonder if my server is sending corrupt files, when its busy. I
        dont effin know. I'm totally not experienced in troubleshooting this
        stuff.
        I just posted #30, nearly an hour long. Let me know if you have a
        problem.
        Jasper

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          On 2/28/06, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:
          > I just dont understand why it downloads fine for me through itunes.
          > I wonder if my server is sending corrupt files, when its busy. I
          > dont effin know. I'm totally not experienced in troubleshooting this
          > stuff.

          Where are your files hosted? Have you raised the issue with them?

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • I Print Stickers
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            Theyre hosted on my sites server. Dunno the provider, my web guy set
            it up.
            I havent thought to bring it in that direction yet. Have you heard
            of this happening before?
            thanks for the response--Jasper

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              On 2/28/06, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:
              > Theyre hosted on my sites server. Dunno the provider, my web guy set
              > it up.
              > I havent thought to bring it in that direction yet. Have you heard
              > of this happening before?

              Your Web guy's the guy you need to be leaning on. Forward him all the
              e-mail you've gotten from listeners on the issue. He needs to check
              the server log for error messages, verify the server settings to be
              sure that it won't cancel out under load or timeout, and provide you
              with the support you're presumably paying for. But it's your
              responsibility to make him aware that there's a problem and give him
              all the information you have about it.

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Zaldor
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                Hey man

                Episode 30 started strange, started just before you announce the winner
                (Phil)

                I'm noticing this happening on a few podcasts. First, I thought it was
                libsyn - but I know you don't use libsyn, so now i'm not sure what the
                problem is!!

                -Les

                --
                Les
                -------------

                Proud member of:--
                Detroit Podcasters Network - http://www.detroitpodcasters.net
                AMP - http://www.musicpodcasting.org
                Podcast Outlaws: http://www.podcastoutlaws.com

              • Andy Bilodeau
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                  Hey Jasper,

                  I host my own files ( on a server in my living room...I don't get nor expect
                  alot of traffic).

                  I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
                  shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
                  hard for subscribers.

                  I'd double check the logs and poll folks as to what time of day they tried
                  to get the MP3 files...perhaps there is some system event that is shutting
                  down httpd. Pehaps there is some wackiness going on with the
                  connectivity...seen that before ..again...due to serving the files from a
                  Mac in the living room.

                  I'm seriously considering Libsyn....they seem to be doing everything they
                  can to help poor starving podcasters...just need to negotiate with the chief
                  of finance (aka better half) for the monthly fee...I may have to dip into
                  the beer fund..such are the sacrifices that we podcaster must make
                  sometimes....It's all for the listeners...

                  ;-)

                  --

                  Andy Bilodeau
                  PodCaster

                  The AndyCast PodCast
                  You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                  http://www.andycast.net

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                    On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                    > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
                    > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
                    > hard for subscribers.

                    What the.....?

                    Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                    just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Andy Bilodeau
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                      > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
                      > out
                      > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
                      > REAL
                      > > hard for subscribers.
                      >
                      > What the.....?
                      >
                      > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                      > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                      Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

                      I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
                      "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
                      weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
                      only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
                      listeners) .

                      This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                      the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                      Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

                      ;-)

                      --

                      Andy Bilodeau
                      PodCaster

                      The AndyCast PodCast
                      You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                      http://www.andycast.net

                    • Andy Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                        On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                        > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                        > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                        And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                        reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                        will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                        instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                        complete any requests they're handling.

                        --
                        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                      • Andy Bilodeau
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                          On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                          > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                          > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                          > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
                          >
                          > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                          > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                          > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                          > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                          > complete any requests they're handling.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                          oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
                          --

                          Andy Bilodeau
                          PodCaster

                          The AndyCast PodCast
                          You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                          http://www.andycast.net

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                            On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                            > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                            > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                            So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                            don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

                            A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                            http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                            ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                            following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                            be informative as well.

                            http://www.escapepod.org
                          • Andy Armstrong
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                              On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
                              > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

                              Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
                              server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

                              But the top and bottom of it is

                              # apachectl graceful
                              <server restarts>

                              But why do you think you need to restart the server?

                              --
                              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                            • Andy Armstrong
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                                > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                                > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                                Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                                > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                                > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                                > be informative as well.

                                <plug>
                                Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                                does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                                worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                                </plug>

                                --
                                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                              • Andy Bilodeau
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                                  > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                                  > do
                                  > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                                  >
                                  > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                                  > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                                  >
                                  > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                                  > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                                  >
                                  > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                                  > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                                  > be informative as well.

                                  Cool..thank you VERY much!

                                  :)
                                  --

                                  Andy Bilodeau
                                  PodCaster

                                  The AndyCast PodCast
                                  You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                                  http://www.andycast.net

                                • Adam Varga
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 4 11:05 AM
                                    Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                                    Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                                    to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                                    or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                                    In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                                    1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                                    version is saved in cache.
                                    2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                                    occurring at any given moment.
                                    3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                                    switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                                    cached older version.

                                    You can get more details here
                                    http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                                    I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                                    servers... over at PCA.

                                    -Adam

                                  • I Print Stickers
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 11 10:28 AM
                                      I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                                      That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                                      Jasper