itunes getting partial downloads

  • I Print Stickers
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hey Guys. In the last couple weeks, I've had several listeners tell
      me that itunes is downloading incomplete versions of my shows for
      some users. It has always downloaded complete episodes for me. So,
      I dont understand why this would only happen to some subscribers.
      Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas to remedy it, if possible?
      All responses are appreciated.
      Jasper from The Plan Nine Rock Show
      http://plannineprint.com
      Shameless Plug: My show is mentioned this month in Spin Magazine.
      Good TImes!!

    • The PhiLL(er) Podcast
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
        I Print Stickers wrote:
        > Hey Guys. In the last couple weeks, I've had several listeners tell
        > me that itunes is downloading incomplete versions of my shows for
        > some users. It has always downloaded complete episodes for me. So,
        > I dont understand why this would only happen to some subscribers.
        > Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas to remedy it, if possible?
        > All responses are appreciated.
        > Jasper from The Plan Nine Rock Show
        > http://plannineprint.com
        > Shameless Plug: My show is mentioned this month in Spin Magazine.
        > Good TImes!!

        Hey Jasper, I just experienced this on the last show (#29 from 2/26). I
        thought it was kind of an abrupt ending and I guess I know why now. It
        stopped at the 27:58 mark - just after your comments about Spin. I
        wonder if the partial download point is consistent across all users or
        if it is cutting off at a variety of marks.

        Phill

        --
        The PhiLL(er)'s Online Music Program
        site: http://www.thephiller.com/podcast
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
          Hey Phill. Thanks for the response. A listener emailed me today,
          and said it cut off around 3:29. Damn!!
          I just dont understand why it downloads fine for me through itunes.
          I wonder if my server is sending corrupt files, when its busy. I
          dont effin know. I'm totally not experienced in troubleshooting this
          stuff.
          I just posted #30, nearly an hour long. Let me know if you have a
          problem.
          Jasper

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
            On 2/28/06, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:
            > I just dont understand why it downloads fine for me through itunes.
            > I wonder if my server is sending corrupt files, when its busy. I
            > dont effin know. I'm totally not experienced in troubleshooting this
            > stuff.

            Where are your files hosted? Have you raised the issue with them?

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • I Print Stickers
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
              Theyre hosted on my sites server. Dunno the provider, my web guy set
              it up.
              I havent thought to bring it in that direction yet. Have you heard
              of this happening before?
              thanks for the response--Jasper

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                On 2/28/06, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:
                > Theyre hosted on my sites server. Dunno the provider, my web guy set
                > it up.
                > I havent thought to bring it in that direction yet. Have you heard
                > of this happening before?

                Your Web guy's the guy you need to be leaning on. Forward him all the
                e-mail you've gotten from listeners on the issue. He needs to check
                the server log for error messages, verify the server settings to be
                sure that it won't cancel out under load or timeout, and provide you
                with the support you're presumably paying for. But it's your
                responsibility to make him aware that there's a problem and give him
                all the information you have about it.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Zaldor
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                  Hey man

                  Episode 30 started strange, started just before you announce the winner
                  (Phil)

                  I'm noticing this happening on a few podcasts. First, I thought it was
                  libsyn - but I know you don't use libsyn, so now i'm not sure what the
                  problem is!!

                  -Les

                  --
                  Les
                  -------------

                  Proud member of:--
                  Detroit Podcasters Network - http://www.detroitpodcasters.net
                  AMP - http://www.musicpodcasting.org
                  Podcast Outlaws: http://www.podcastoutlaws.com

                • Andy Bilodeau
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                    Hey Jasper,

                    I host my own files ( on a server in my living room...I don't get nor expect
                    alot of traffic).

                    I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
                    shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
                    hard for subscribers.

                    I'd double check the logs and poll folks as to what time of day they tried
                    to get the MP3 files...perhaps there is some system event that is shutting
                    down httpd. Pehaps there is some wackiness going on with the
                    connectivity...seen that before ..again...due to serving the files from a
                    Mac in the living room.

                    I'm seriously considering Libsyn....they seem to be doing everything they
                    can to help poor starving podcasters...just need to negotiate with the chief
                    of finance (aka better half) for the monthly fee...I may have to dip into
                    the beer fund..such are the sacrifices that we podcaster must make
                    sometimes....It's all for the listeners...

                    ;-)

                    --

                    Andy Bilodeau
                    PodCaster

                    The AndyCast PodCast
                    You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                    http://www.andycast.net

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                      On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                      > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns out
                      > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life REAL
                      > hard for subscribers.

                      What the.....?

                      Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                      just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                      http://www.escapepod.org
                    • Andy Bilodeau
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                        > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I had some odd things happen when I would run some weblog stats...turns
                        > out
                        > > shutting off the web server at the top of the hour every hour made life
                        > REAL
                        > > hard for subscribers.
                        >
                        > What the.....?
                        >
                        > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                        > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                        Yeah...cron's fun..isn't it!

                        I was slurping the weblogs into a mysql database so that I could see my
                        "stats" in a webcentric way. I would shut down httpd, rotate the
                        weblogs...turn on httpd and then process the rotated logs...although this
                        only takes a few seconds....it really hosed the entire listernship ( all 7
                        listeners) .

                        This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                        the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                        Thank you for asking...and making me relive that agony again....

                        ;-)

                        --

                        Andy Bilodeau
                        PodCaster

                        The AndyCast PodCast
                        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                        http://www.andycast.net

                      • Andy Armstrong
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                          On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                          > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                          > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?

                          And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                          reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                          will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                          instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                          complete any requests they're handling.

                          --
                          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                        • Andy Bilodeau
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                            On 2/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                            > On 28 Feb 2006, at 16:22, Stephen Eley wrote:
                            > > Did you have a *reason* for shutting down the Web server, or did it
                            > > just sound like fun to play with cron jobs?
                            >
                            > And if you absolutely have to (and you'd better have a damn good
                            > reason :) and it's Apache (if not, why not?) then apachectl graceful
                            > will restart without closing any active connections - it creates new
                            > instances to handle new requests and destroys old ones when they
                            > complete any requests they're handling.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                            oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!
                            --

                            Andy Bilodeau
                            PodCaster

                            The AndyCast PodCast
                            You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                            http://www.andycast.net

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                              On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                              > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only do
                              > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...

                              So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                              don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->

                              A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                              http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                              ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                              following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                              be informative as well.

                              http://www.escapepod.org
                            • Andy Armstrong
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
                                > oooo....damn...I need to read up on that!

                                Well since you almost certainly /don't/ want to restart your web
                                server every hour then you may not want to read up on that :)

                                But the top and bottom of it is

                                # apachectl graceful
                                <server restarts>

                                But why do you think you need to restart the server?

                                --
                                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                              • Andy Armstrong
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                  On 28 Feb 2006, at 17:15, Stephen Eley wrote:
                                  > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                                  > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

                                  Oh I get it... He wants to do his log analysis

                                  > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                                  > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                                  > be informative as well.

                                  <plug>
                                  Or my own mod_log_rotate (http://www.hexten.net/mod_log_rotate/) that
                                  does log rotation in-process which saves a process per virtual host -
                                  worthwhile if you have lots of them.
                                  </plug>

                                  --
                                  Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                                • Andy Bilodeau
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                                    > On 2/28/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > This was a LOOOOONG time ago...I've become much more patient and only
                                    > do
                                    > > the weblogs once a day...or on demand...
                                    >
                                    > So... Is there any value, or simply pain, in mentioning that you
                                    > don't have to kick users off Apache to rotate the log files? >8->
                                    >
                                    > A^2 gave you the answer; for more detail, see:
                                    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html
                                    >
                                    > ...and scroll down to the section titled "Log Rotation." The
                                    > following section, which discusses the rotatelogs piped program, may
                                    > be informative as well.

                                    Cool..thank you VERY much!

                                    :)
                                    --

                                    Andy Bilodeau
                                    PodCaster

                                    The AndyCast PodCast
                                    You'll laugh 'til you stop!
                                    http://www.andycast.net

                                  • Adam Varga
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 4, 2006
                                      Dailysonic's listeners have also been getting partial downloads in iTunes.
                                      Especially during heavy traffic (like, as soon as our new episode is posted
                                      to the RSS feed). We came up with a pretty cool solution for spreading out
                                      or traffic by staggering the RSS feed...

                                      In the words of our top coder, Isaac Dolom, it works like this:

                                      1. A new episode goes up, and the RSS feed is regenerated´┐Ż but the old
                                      version is saved in cache.
                                      2. Our server tracks the number of simultaneous episode downloads
                                      occurring at any given moment.
                                      3. If that number is greater than a maximum allowed value, our server
                                      switches mode and stops delivering the latest RSS feed. Instead, it uses the
                                      cached older version.

                                      You can get more details here
                                      http://www.dailysonic.com/blog/staggered-rss-delivery/

                                      I think Isaac also posted sample PHP code you can use to do this on your own
                                      servers... over at PCA.

                                      -Adam

                                    • I Print Stickers
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 11, 2006
                                        I've been very behind on reading my yahoo group mail.....
                                        That sounds pretty involved. Thanks for the response.
                                        Jasper