CastBlaster

  • benjaminccollins
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
      i wanted to post some thoughts on CastBlaster to see what everyone
      thinks. The way that Adam Curry has been promoting it lately I really
      had an expectation that it was "ready for prime time".

      I was surprised to find out that if you want to hear the mix of your
      voice and any other files; sounds, effects, music, etc at the same
      time, then you have to come into the PC via the mic port and your
      headphones have to be in the headphone port. You can't use USB in
      from the mixer and then monitor via the headphone port. If you do, you
      have to choose between hearing your voice or CastBlaster, but not both
      at once.

      Adam mentioned that on his laptop he uses a PC Card sound card and his
      show sounds really good. But most laptops (mine included)sound pretty
      crappy when all the nice expensive condenser mics are going in through
      the mic input. So there's another $100...

      I also noticed that it was incredibly difficult to get all the levels
      set right, even when I disabled the internal mixer. Presumably this
      will be worked on...

      I love the idea and the potential of CastBlaster, but honestly, I've
      given up for now.
    • Dave Jackson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
        Castblaster has its applications. They are close (like the ability to set the volume level for each sound), but not quite there (the ability to change the volume level while recording and you realize its too loud/soft). The one thing that makes Castblaster stand out is Castblaster Mike. Very nice guy, and nobody works closer with their customers. I just installed the lastest version, but haven't done more than look at it and go "wow more buttons" so Mike may have actually launched a fix for this. The other thing I wish it would do is allow you to record as a wav file. I understand the concept of record, tag, and ftp all from one screen, but I want the ability to save as a wav and then choose the format (or even multiple formats) I want.
        The other thing to keep in mind is the style you want to podcast. The biggest reason I don't use it more is I ALWAYS need to edit myself later. So I record myself, then assemble it in Acid or Mixcraft.

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
          I gave up also. Try Propaganda by Mixmeister. More to learn than
          Castblaster but much more versatile in every respect. And the same
          price.

          Sherm

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminccollins"
          <bencollins@...> wrote:

          > i wanted to post some thoughts on CastBlaster to see what everyone
          > thinks. The way that Adam Curry has been promoting it lately I
          really
          > had an expectation that it was "ready for prime time".
          >
          > I was surprised to find out that if you want to hear the mix of
          your
          > voice and any other files; sounds, effects, music, etc at the same
          > time, then you have to come into the PC via the mic port and your
          > headphones have to be in the headphone port. You can't use USB in
          > from the mixer and then monitor via the headphone port. If you do,
          you
          > have to choose between hearing your voice or CastBlaster, but not
          both
          > at once.
          >
          > Adam mentioned that on his laptop he uses a PC Card sound card and
          his
          > show sounds really good. But most laptops (mine included)sound
          pretty
          > crappy when all the nice expensive condenser mics are going in
          through
          > the mic input. So there's another $100...
          >
          > I also noticed that it was incredibly difficult to get all the
          levels
          > set right, even when I disabled the internal mixer. Presumably
          this
          > will be worked on...
          >
          > I love the idea and the potential of CastBlaster, but honestly,
          I've
          > given up for now.

        • Dave Jackson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
            Propaganda is crap (their ftp option doesn't work, and their web page that is created is a joke). Go with Mixcraft (multitrack, built in effects, VSt effects, time stretching, burn to CD) all for 40 bucks. Download the trial at http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/software/acoustica-mixcraft-installer.exe

            Their new version came out with a SWEET time stretching feature that sounds great (so when that new promo counes out at 32 seconds, and you need it to be 30...)

            <bencollins@...> wrote:

            > i wanted to post some thoughts on CastBlaster to see what everyone
            > thinks. The way that Adam Curry has been promoting it lately I
            really
            > had an expectation that it was "ready for prime time".
            >
            > I was surprised to find out that if you want to hear the mix of
            your
            > voice and any other files; sounds, effects, music, etc at the same
            > time, then you have to come into the PC via the mic port and your
            > headphones have to be in the headphone port. You can't use USB in
            > from the mixer and then monitor via the headphone port. If you do,
            you
            > have to choose between hearing your voice or CastBlaster, but not
            both
            > at once.
            >
            > Adam mentioned that on his laptop he uses a PC Card sound card and
            his
            > show sounds really good. But most laptops (mine included)sound
            pretty
            > crappy when all the nice expensive condenser mics are going in
            through
            > the mic input. So there's another $100...
            >
            > I also noticed that it was incredibly difficult to get all the
            levels
            > set right, even when I disabled the internal mixer. Presumably
            this
            > will be worked on...
            >
            > I love the idea and the potential of CastBlaster, but honestly,
            I've
            > given up for now.

          • Martin McKeay
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
              I use Propaganda (never used their FTP option) and I like the ease of
              use. Many of the basic clean up steps I had to do manually in
              Audacity. There are a lot of things I can't do in it or that happen
              automagically, but it's easy to use and convenient. If you've got no
              podcasting background and want to give it a try, Propaganda's okay.
              Personally, I think I'll be outgrowing it a month or two more, but it
              was decent to start with.

              Martin

              --
              Martin McKeay, CISSP, CCNA
              The Network Security Podcast

              On 2/16/06, Dave Jackson <jacksongei@...> wrote:
              > Propaganda is crap (their ftp option doesn't work, and their web page that is created is a joke). Go with Mixcraft (multitrack, built in effects, VSt effects, time stretching, burn to CD) all for 40 bucks. Download the trial at http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/software/acoustica-mixcraft-installer.exe
              >
              > Their new version came out with a SWEET time stretching feature that sounds great (so when that new promo counes out at 32 seconds, and you need it to be 30...)
              >
              > Dave Jackson
              > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
            • morvenwestfield
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
                I currently use Audacity to record and do post-production on my low-
                budget podcast. I don't have a background in audio and just learning
                Audacity well enough to do the podcast was a lot for me. (I have a
                background in computers, but not audio.)

                Now I want to streamline. I like Audacity for the recording/editing
                part, but when I'm "assembling" the pieces of my podcast, I find
                Audacity a real pain in the butt.

                On Downloads.com, I saw Propaganda 1.2 (by MixMeister) mentioned and
                logged on here to see what people had to say about it. I found a
                comment by Dave J (School of Podcasting) that said that the version
                he tried was crap. I don't know if that's because he tried an earlier
                version or because he's more skilled in audio and music than I am. He
                suggested MixCraft, but I think that's overkill for me.

                I'm looking for something basic to help me with assembling the bits.
                My podcasts are rather basic: Me reading news, me interviewing
                people, and brief intro/outro/intersection music. Oh, and it's all
                mono, even!

                From the comment I found by Martin, below, it sounds like Propaganda
                might work for me. Since Dave and Martin's comments were in 2006, I
                thought I'd ask what people think now or if there is something else
                out there that might help me.

                -Morven

              • ferronfamily@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
                  I've never used Propaganda. I have used Audacity, and have found it
                  great for editing individual audio clips, but it is not very good when
                  used as an audio sequencer, which is what you are wanting to use when
                  you compile (mix and render) the clips for your podcast.

                  I used Cubase LE for over a year, which came "free" with the Alesis
                  USB mixer I bought back in 2007. It's a great tool. I am checking
                  out Reaper, which is free for unlimited duration evaluation and is
                  only $50 for non-commercial use. So far I proclaim it as "awesome",
                  in part because I can both edit clips and do the full job of aligning
                  clips, cross-fading clips with bumper music, applying plug-in
                  compressors and EQ and such. You should try it at
                  http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php