RSS Problems - Size Matters

  • Dennis Hays
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      Podcasters...

      Stick with me here and I'll let you in on something that stinks and
      may have been avoidable. And, by the way, Todd may have been (and is)
      entirely correct with his comments on RSS feed.

      I host a 5-day-per-week show called Photo News Today. The media files
      are hosted by Libsyn and the feed by FeedBurner. A main part of my
      show notes are links to other web sites for Hardware, Software,
      Reviews and News. These links bulk up the byte count somewhat.

      All of a sudden two days ago, I noticed my FeedBurner stats tumbling
      quicker than a TNT-demolished high-rise. When checking the feed, I
      got an error message that the feed was too large. FeedBurner tells me
      there is a 256k limit and I was at 257k or so. At first, my
      communications were along the lines of ask your Mother, ask your
      father, but then I got a possible solution from Libsyn. I could
      re-establish my feed on FeedBurner by using the "/lastX" parameter,
      where "X" represents a number for the last X number of posts. So, I
      adjusted my original feed to read: http://pnt.libsyn.com/rss/last15.

      No joy. Libsyn has a problem and here is their email back to me:

      -----------[Libsyn Response]-----------------\
      dennis,
      there's some feedburner specific stuff that we had to put in to avoid
      an endless loop with our feed-redirecting stuff (as in, i put in
      libsyn to redirect my feed to my feedburner feed, which reads from my
      libsyn feed, which redirects...)

      so it looks like that fix now needs to be fixed
      i will check it out and get back to you
      sorry,
      ------------[End Libsyn Response]-----------------/

      Until they fix the problem, I am dead in the water with Photo News
      Today.

      Best,

      Dennis
      --
      Dennis Hays
      Secrets of Digital Imaging
      Sent: 2/1/2006 at 8:08 PM (-5 UCT)
    • GeekNews
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        Dennis

        Kill some of your older post, delete them completely enough to reduce the
        size of your file. That will get you up and runnig. You loose the post but
        not the listeners.

        Todd..

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
          Thanks, Todd. I killed October and November. That did it.
          But it still is a problem waiting to happen. This weekend,
          I think I'll follow your recommendations.

          Dennis

          Quoting GeekNews <geeknews@...>:

          > Dennis
          >
          > Kill some of your older post, delete them completely enough to reduce the
          > size of your file. That will get you up and runnig. You loose the post but
          > not the listeners.
          >
          > Todd..

          Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
          http://www.imagingsecrets.com
          http://www.haysdesign.com
          +1 518.479.4220