Re: [podcasters] Pulling the Plug

  • Judefan
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
      I'm staying subscribed!!!

      We'll miss you guys- I was sad when I first read the news but it was even
      worse when I heard the farewll address- funny how this podcasting community
      works.

      Keep it real Ryan and Jen

      PDL

      --
      P.D. Love
      The LoveHouse Radio Podcast

      http://lovehouseradio.com

      Have you heard the news? - www.podcasternews.com

    • Ryan Ozawa
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
        Rob wrote:
        > I read about people that fakes their own death to avoid having to tell someone they
        > wanted out of a relationship.

        Oh boy. Hadn't thought of that one! <g>

        You know, it's interesting, because my wife is really feeling this
        like a breakup. A bittersweet break up, at the end of a wonderful
        relationship, on totally good terms, but a breakup nonetheless.
        Whenever we get a particularly heartfelt e-mail, she calls me to talk
        about it.

        Thanks for your kudos. We're walking the fine line between "brave
        retirement" and "cowardly retreat," but I feel the former, more, so
        I'm going with that story.

        Melissa wrote:
        > Wait a sec, is this Ryan of Ryan & Jen, "The Transmission" podcast?

        Yep. And... is this Melissa of the Pottercast? One of the very
        prototypes of a "fan podcast"? I'm going to have to resist the urge
        to get fannish back. <g>

        I enjoyed those brief moments when Adam Curry got excited about such
        podcasts... folks "remixing mass media," in a way. Podcasts based on
        someone else's creative content are an odd animal, but a fun one.
        We're certainly glad to have had such a wild ride.

        Ryan
      • Kunga
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
          What was your podcast called and what was it about?
          --
          Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
          New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster

          On Jan 31, 2006, at 7:34 AM, Ryan Ozawa wrote:

          > Probably the last thing most of us would do with a successful podcast
          > is to retire. But last night that's just what my wife and I did.
        • Don McAllister
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
            Ryan,

            I was also a faithful follower and have to say was pretty shocked by
            the announcement when it came! I certainly didn't expect it but I
            certainly respect your decision to do what is right for you and Jen!

            Real shame though as I really enjoyed your show and the fact that it
            came from the same place as Lost was recorded gave it the edge on
            other Lost podcasts, even the official one.

            Your obvious love and pride in Hawaii also shone through!

            Have to say that I also thought that there might be some
            opportunities to do something with the feed but again I suppose that
            it's not the done thing to sell on :-)

            Anyhow, thanks for the great show and I'll keep subscribed so drop in
            the occasional mp3 now and again, it'll be great to hear the both of
            you!

            Don
            ScreenCastsOnline

          • Kunga
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
              Why does everyone on this list ASSUME that we know what the Ryan
              Ozawa Podcast was about? He doesn't even put a URL with his sig so we
              can find the archives ourselves. I would like to know what he and his
              wife QUIT at the height of success please.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                On 2/2/06, Kunga <kunga@...> wrote:
                > Why does everyone on this list ASSUME that we know what the Ryan
                > Ozawa Podcast was about? He doesn't even put a URL with his sig so we
                > can find the archives ourselves. I would like to know what he and his
                > wife QUIT at the height of success please.

                We don't assume -- we have context, because Ryan's well-known here.
                If you read the entire thread, other respondents have supplied the
                missing information: it's a podcast called "The Transmission" about
                the TV show _Lost._

                The URL is here:
                http://www.hawaiiup.com/lost/

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Andy Armstrong
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                  On 2 Feb 2006, at 21:23, Kunga wrote:
                  > Why does everyone on this list ASSUME that we know what the Ryan
                  > Ozawa Podcast was about? He doesn't even put a URL with his sig so we
                  > can find the archives ourselves. I would like to know what he and his
                  > wife QUIT at the height of success please.

                  Well why don't you either ask or Google instead of being pissy?

                  --
                  Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                • Kunga
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                    My apologies to all whom I am offended and upset. That was not my
                    intention and I should have been less pissy. Google what? I did ask
                    and got no reply.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Sorry, Kunga. The podcast was "The Transmission," a podcast devoted to
                      the TV show "Lost" on ABC. The URL is/was:

                      http://www.hawaiiup.com/lost

                      I didn't want to overpromote it, first because I was more interested
                      in sharing the general experience of "retiring," and secondly because
                      linking a now ended podcast seemed a bit silly. I just haven't redone
                      my e-mail signature. <g>

                      The response has been truly overwhelming. Several hundred e-mails and
                      so far 200+ comments on the blog. Oh, and a couple of interesting
                      offers and even a call to our house. (Which would be a bit creepy,
                      except fortunately we've known and corresponded with _that_ listener
                      quite a bit.) Even got a media query, but I think as soon as they
                      realized there was no scandal relating to ABC lawyers or marital
                      problems, their interest waned.

                      Ryan
                    • Ryan Ozawa
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Don wrote:
                        > Real shame though as I really enjoyed your show and the fact that it
                        > came from the same place as Lost was recorded gave it the edge on
                        > other Lost podcasts, even the official one.

                        Thanks, Don. Yeah, living where "Lost" is filmed definitely gave us a boost.

                        We certainly aren't giving up on the TV show, though, and one of the
                        things I definitely worked hard on was fostering a sense of community
                        among other "Lost" fan podcasts (we even have an aggregated "channel"
                        -- lostcasts.blogspot.com). This was side project of the podcast that
                        I'm also quite proud of. We had playful rivalries, we submitted
                        comments to each others' shows, and basically shared the wealth. So
                        if Jen or I ever have a scoop, a comment, whatever, about "Lost," we
                        still have many ways to share it.

                        Speaking of an aggregated feed of similarly-focused but independent
                        podcasts... what _is_ out there now to automate something like that?
                        Right now, I and some of the other podcasters are manually posting
                        updates.

                        P.D. wrote:
                        > I was sad when I first read the news but it was even worse when I heard the farewll
                        > address- funny how this podcasting community works.

                        Thanks, P.D. Absolutely, there's something about the voice, and
                        feeling you know the person behind it, that adds a comfort, an
                        affection, an intimacy to podcasting that's definitely different from,
                        say, blogging. I can't even begin to describe some of the most
                        heartfelt messages we've gotten. People we couldn't possibly know at
                        all, but who felt they knew us very, very well.

                        Even I can't listen to our farewell recording. And not just because
                        it was stumbly and awkward. I keep thinking we could have explained
                        everything so much better if we'd just written a letter and posted
                        it... but then I also know it would have not had the effect our voices
                        did.

                        Ryan
                      • frank-mcmahon
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 8, 2006
                          I agree....podcasting is a very personal thing. I think that is why it
                          get so emotional when people fade out.

                          I was interviewed for the wired.com article and I did start the website:

                          http://www.podfader.com/

                          to discuss this exact sort of thing.

                          As for passing your feed on...I don't think that is a bad thing...

                          Franklin McMahon
                          http://www.fmstudio.com/