Woo Hoo! Escape Pod and Podiobooks on NPR!

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dig it! Xeni Jardin has a spot on today's "Day to Day Show" about
      "amateur audio books" on podcast. Our own Steve Eley is interviewed!
      On the website for the show are links to Escape Pod, LibriVox,
      Podiobooks, Urban Art Adventures, Maria Lectrix, and Dead White Males.
      You can also listen to the clip.

      The site:
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5182721

      As a podcasting author myself (http://www.bravemenrun.com) this is very
      cool exposure. Congrats, everyone!

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      MWS Media
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
        Congrats to Steve, Evo, Tee and all involved. Great exposure!!

        --
        P.D. Love
        The LoveHouse Radio Podcast

        http://lovehouseradio.com

        Have you heard the news? - www.podcasternews.com

      • Evo Terra
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
          Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:
          > Dig it! Xeni Jardin has a spot on today's "Day to Day Show" about
          > "amateur audio books" on podcast. Our own Steve Eley is interviewed!
          > On the website for the show are links to Escape Pod, LibriVox,
          > Podiobooks, Urban Art Adventures, Maria Lectrix, and Dead White Males.
          >
          > The site:
          > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5182721

          Very cool. Xeni reached out to me and *said* she was going to call, but
          then didn't I guess Steve talked so long she didn't have room to fit
          anyone else in.

          Too bad she's got Podiobooks.com listed as "New, Original Science
          Fiction and Fantasy". We've also got two mystery books, a non fiction
          book, essays, horror...

          Oh well. The media is what the media is. And it is cool they mentioned
          us at all, that I understand. :)

          Someone let me know if there's anything about PB.com actually mentioned
          in the audio. The player NPR is using isn't playing well with my Mac.

          --
          Evo Terra | DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com
        • Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
            Evo Terra wrote:
            > Someone let me know if there's anything about PB.com actually mentioned
            > in the audio. The player NPR is using isn't playing well with my Mac.

            No mention of podiobooks.com in the audio -- if I recall, she only
            plugged sites of people who were actually in the piece.

            But still - a nice bit of publicity!

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
              On 2/1/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mws@...> wrote:
              > Dig it! Xeni Jardin has a spot on today's "Day to Day Show" about
              > "amateur audio books" on podcast. Our own Steve Eley is interviewed!
              > On the website for the show are links to Escape Pod, LibriVox,
              > Podiobooks, Urban Art Adventures, Maria Lectrix, and Dead White Males.
              > You can also listen to the clip.

              Thanks, Matt. I was going to mention something, but I wanted to
              listen to it first to make sure I didn't sound too stupid. >8->

              It's a pretty good piece. Librivox gets the spotlight in the story,
              and if you ask me they deserve it. They've got some huge ambitions,
              and they're doing an amazing job -- putting out book after book, *and*
              giving everyone who wants to a chance to contribute.

              http://www.escapepod.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                On 2/1/06, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

                > Very cool. Xeni reached out to me and *said* she was going to call, but
                > then didn't I guess Steve talked so long she didn't have room to fit
                > anyone else in.

                Ha. Actually, it was sort of awkward for me, but not because I was
                nervous about being on the radio. It was the middle of the workday,
                and they needed a landline, so I ended up doing the interview at my
                desk in the middle of a cubicle sea. I kept fearing my boss was going
                to come by and want to know what the call was about. ("Fire me later,
                dammit! I'm on NPR!")

                > Too bad she's got Podiobooks.com listed as "New, Original Science
                > Fiction and Fantasy". We've also got two mystery books, a non fiction
                > book, essays, horror...

                On the upside, you did get a Web link. I was in the audio stream but
                had no mention on the Web page. Together, we're a complete reference!
                >8->

                > Someone let me know if there's anything about PB.com actually mentioned
                > in the audio. The player NPR is using isn't playing well with my Mac.

                Yeah, I had to bite the bullet and install Windows Media Player on my
                Mac to get to hear it. Argh. (And no Podiobooks mention in the
                audio, alas, although I did try.)

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Rhonda Bell
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                  I "seeded" the story on NewsVine.

                  Rhonda
                  Knitting News Cast
                  http://www.KnittingNewsCast.com

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mws@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Dig it! Xeni Jardin has a spot on today's "Day to Day Show" about
                  > "amateur audio books" on podcast. Our own Steve Eley is
                  interviewed!
                  > On the website for the show are links to Escape Pod, LibriVox,
                  > Podiobooks, Urban Art Adventures, Maria Lectrix, and Dead White
                  Males.
                  > You can also listen to the clip.
                  >
                  > The site:
                  > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5182721
                  >
                  > As a podcasting author myself (http://www.bravemenrun.com) this is
                  very
                  > cool exposure. Congrats, everyone!
                  >
                  > --
                  > Matthew Wayne Selznick
                  > MWS Media
                  > http://www.mwsmedia.com
                  > 760-964-8044
                  > SKYPE / GIZMO: mwsmedia
                  > "Because doing it yourself
                  > should never mean going it alone."

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Can you give me an invite to newsvine? I would have used one of Amanda's
                    endless invites but I'm too lazy to find her email on her blog site.

                    Bill

                    On 2/2/06 10:36 AM, "Rhonda Bell" <rhondaj_bell@...> wrote:

                    > I "seeded" the story on NewsVine.
                    >
                    > Rhonda
                    > Knitting News Cast
                    > http://www.KnittingNewsCast.com
                    >
                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mws@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Dig it! Xeni Jardin has a spot on today's "Day to Day Show" about
                    >> "amateur audio books" on podcast. Our own Steve Eley is
                    > interviewed!
                    >> On the website for the show are links to Escape Pod, LibriVox,
                    >> Podiobooks, Urban Art Adventures, Maria Lectrix, and Dead White
                    > Males.
                    >> You can also listen to the clip.
                    >>
                    >> The site:
                    >> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5182721
                    >>
                    >> As a podcasting author myself (http://www.bravemenrun.com) this is
                    > very
                    >> cool exposure. Congrats, everyone!
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Matthew Wayne Selznick
                    >> MWS Media
                    >> http://www.mwsmedia.com
                    >> 760-964-8044
                    >> SKYPE / GIZMO: mwsmedia
                    >> "Because doing it yourself
                    >> should never mean going it alone."
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

                    / / \ \ \ \
                    / / / \ \ \ \ \
                    / / \/ O O \ \
                    / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                    / / \/ \
                    \/ \/ \
                    \/ \
                    __o \/ \
                    `\<,_ \/ \
                    (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                      On 2/2/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                      > Can you give me an invite to newsvine? I would have used one of Amanda's
                      > endless invites but I'm too lazy to find her email on her blog site.

                      I'd be interested as well, Rhonda. I hadn't heard of Newsvine before.
                      From what I've been able to tell by Googling it sounds like Digg.com,
                      but more general interest? I'm all over that!

                      http://www.escapepod.org
                    • Andy Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                        On 2 Feb 2006, at 18:43, Stephen Eley wrote:
                        > I'd be interested as well, Rhonda. I hadn't heard of Newsvine before.
                        > From what I've been able to tell by Googling it sounds like Digg.com,
                        > but more general interest? I'm all over that!

                        I think they're aiming for higher editorial values too :)

                        I've invited you to join.

                        --
                        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                      • Matthew Wayne Selznick