Anyone using the Kiptronic audience survey?

  • Dave Shepherd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Are there any LibSynners here who have started using the Kiptronic audience
      survey?

      This seems to be an important precursor to putting your podcast out for
      sponsors to look at. Last week I set up our audience survey and put a link
      on my website.

      To date, the statistics I see seem extremely unreliable. Of fourteen people
      who I know have responded, only 13 responses show up in my Kiptronic stats.
      And of those 13, there are no demographic data given other than geographic
      location and gender. No age, income, or other interests.

      Kiptronic says they only report stats when they have at least 10 responses.
      But I can't believe that 13 people responded without giving any significant
      demographic information. And when a friend of mine submitted the survey this
      morning, the number of total responses should have gone up to 14, I would
      think. But it remains at 13. So I can't even be sure that every who answers
      is showing up. Indeed, I can be sure that NOT everybody who answers shows
      up.

      I'm eager to work this out, because we're eager to start using Kiptronic to
      try and get some advertisers. But right now I can't rely on the audience
      profile technology of the site.

      Unless I am simply misunderstanding something in a fundamental way.

      Dave

      --
      Visit The Word Nerds
      A weekly podcast about words, language, and why we say the things we do

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        On 2/1/06, Dave Shepherd <shepdave@...> wrote:

        > To date, the statistics I see seem extremely unreliable. Of fourteen people
        > who I know have responded, only 13 responses show up in my Kiptronic stats.
        > And of those 13, there are no demographic data given other than geographic
        > location and gender. No age, income, or other interests.

        There might just be a delay before the stats get incremented. Many
        other sorts of stats programs update every several hours, or in a
        nightly batch process.

        Have you asked Kiptronic about your concerns? I've heard they're
        pretty approachable. If you get answers, let us know... It's
        possible that the difference between 13 results and 14 (with the last
        submitted earlier in the day) may indeed be a sign of serious issues,
        but then again, it might not. Confirming it with them seems like a
        fair course of action before indicting their reliability on a public
        mailing list.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Dave Shepherd
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          I heard from Jonathan Cobb at Kiptronic this afternoon, and he cleared up
          most of this for me.

          Kiptronic refreshes the new stats every 24 hours, so when my colleague
          submitted her listener survey this morning, it didn't yet show up in my
          stats. That's why the number of responses in my survey did not immediately
          jump from 13 to 14 when she submitted her response.

          It is indeed true that any single question has to have at least 10 responses
          before it will show up in the stats. Although 13-14 people had responded to
          my survey, there were not yet 10 people who had responded to any particular
          question other than gender and geography.

          Since Jonathan went in and did a refresh of my stats, they look more like
          what I'd expect. I still don't have 10 responses to all my questions, but I
          did pick up two more surveys overall, and I think I now have "age" and
          "special interests" data that I didn't have before--i.e., at least 10 people
          have responded to those two questions.

          The readout for the geographic data is not obvious, but I think I'm getting
          the hang of it. Respondents are asked to enter postal/ZIP codes. What's
          printed out in the stats report is information by state, country, and ZIP
          code, and sometimes these are the same thing. So if I've got, say, 12% of
          respondents who are from Germany and then also 12% who submit a German
          postal code, then those are (presumably) the same people.

          In any event, the reporting does seem to work as advertised, although the
          geographic data is not totally clear (and Jonathan acknowledged this to me
          in an earlier email).

          Dave

          --
          Visit The Word Nerds
          A weekly podcast about words, language, and why we say the things we do
          http://thewordnerds.org

        • Babolat Sebastien
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
            Bonjour Dave,

            Same boat! But I try to get decided in between Podtrac and Kiptronic!

            1/ As far as kiptronic, they were mostly down yesterday. I noticed
            that you can get the results the day after (from the surveys taken the
            day before). Also, and it is just a supposition, maybe out of those 13
            people, just 9 of them gave their zip code (which will not appear on
            the geographical untill you reach 10 ?).

            2/ I try to ask some questions to the folks (if they have some deal
            and stuff like that) - No answers yet.
            The CEO of Podtrac calls me evry now and then - even if they are hard
            to get in touch with, they are mostly scared of loosing a good media
            (that is just my opinion).

            Also, the issue with podtrac, is that their survey is really long!
            Besides that, and as you know, as Libsyners, we can not re edit the
            rss link.

            I guess both of them are in their first steps.

            What I come up with today, is that I will use the Kiptronic survey for
            a good month - and we'll see the results.

            If their data are not reliable, I will take my dispositions (I was
            thinking making my own survey, using the service of Perseus, and
            including more questions related to the podcast)

            Sorry for thatlong reply, I am trying to include more question in it :)

            Sebastien
            www.frenchpodclass.com