Re: [podcasters] Microsoft IE7 XP Beta Release Interview

  • -The Mr. Nice Guy Show-
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
      What incredibly arrogant, clueless, monopolistic, bloated jerks they are
      in Redmond.

      I give Todd credit for the good, timely "get" of an interview, but it
      sounded like Micro$oft wanted it made abundantly clear that this was
      comparable to an audience with the queen. First, another person says here
      is your $pecial gue$t to deign to talk with you...then at the end $he $ays
      your preciou$ moment$ with me are about to expire...

      and in-between, talking to a *podcaster*
      with a GIGANTIC audience, she says she
      _has no knowledge_ of what this new
      product can do with RSS enclosures!

      C'mon, folks. Are they fools...or do they think we are??

      -M!
      The Mr. Nice Guy Show
      http://mrniceguy.org/

      George wrote:
      >>From what I have read this morning, there are some real problems with
      > installation and could screw up Yahoo Messenger. After sitting on their
      > laurels for years without bothering with innovation in the browser arena,
      > and
      > still not addressing all of the the CSS screwups, this gets me a big yawn.
      >
      > Cheers -
      >
      > george
      >

      > --- Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Thanks for the new Todd...if anyone is interested in checking out IE
      >> 7.0...here's a link
      >>
      >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx
      >>
      >> Enjoy!
      >>

      >> On 1/31/06, GeekNews <geeknews@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > All
      >> >
      >> > A few minutes ago Microsoft announced the IE7 Beta release for XP, I
      >> was
      >> > lucky enough to do a interview yesterday that has just been released
      >> with
      >> > program manager at Microsoft. Here is the link.
      >> > http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/005704.html
      >> >
      >> > Todd.

    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hey Stephen,

        You are 100% correct...that's exactly what was happening....I just found it
        odd when running my routine server check to get a whopping 5200 hits when
        usual traffic is around 500....

        Like you said...it's a cool idea but it's gonna kill my stats!

        ;-)

        --

        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net

      • Andy Armstrong
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
          On 1 Feb 2006, at 15:12, Andy Bilodeau wrote:
          > You are 100% correct...that's exactly what was happening....I just
          > found it
          > odd when running my routine server check to get a whopping 5200
          > hits when
          > usual traffic is around 500....
          >
          > Like you said...it's a cool idea but it's gonna kill my stats!

          I've got a little Perl script that handles the multiple requests
          correctly. It needs a little tidying though - and it's buried in the
          middle of a huge pile of other stuff that needs doing too. Let me
          know if you (or anyone) wants it in its current form. It works but
          doesn't produce very attractive output and isn't terribly configurable.

          --
          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
            George,
            I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying or I did not say
            it correctly. I am simply saying that there has to be some boundaries.
            I am not trying to dictate content rather ask that there be voluntary
            boundaries. Self policing. Quality content means that if we all would
            strive toward creative content, I think there would be no problems.
            Also, no one is saying what music you play. I don't care. We would
            like it if you played songs from the music that has been submitted to
            podcastspots but you can play from PMN if you desire. We have added a
            new feature that allows your to browse you drive and place your files
            within the wizard. What I was suggesting is that artist that have
            placed their music at podcastspots get played if possible. We do want
            to support them also. Download our program and test it out,
            PodcastSpots Wizard
            http://podcastspots.com/Free-Podcast-Creation-Software.aspx

            > --- Dennis <dhump3@...> wrote:
            > > 3) [clip]
            > > those who only exist to cuss and talk profane is Juvenal (sic) .
            Why is it
            > > wrong to ask that we seek quality content? If you want to create your
            > > own network great, do so. 4) We want to allow you the podcaster to
            > > create your own networks. [clip] So be creative and create your
            > > own network using our system.
            >
            > Might these two statements be contradictory? Personally, I would
            tell you that
            > the Eclectic Mix podcast does not involve profanity, it's just not
            my style.
            > OTOH, it appears that you are looking to dictate your own definition of
            > "quality" on the podcast, yet clain to be offering creativity.
            >
            > If your reasoning was that you considered this to be a family or
            > religion-oriented network then I would completely understand.
            However, there

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
              On 2/2/06, Dennis <dhump3@...> wrote:
              > George,
              > I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying or I did not say
              > it correctly. I am simply saying that there has to be some boundaries.
              > I am not trying to dictate content rather ask that there be voluntary
              > boundaries. Self policing.

              Is it in your terms of service or not, Dennis?

              If it's in your terms of service, *you are dictating content*. The
              only voluntary choice at that point is whether to work with your
              service or not.

              And regarding that question, attempting to convince podcasters that
              they're mistaken about their own needs and desires for a service
              provider is *probably* not the best way to win them over.

              Best of luck to you anyway.

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • George L Smyth
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                Dennis -

                Perhaps it's generational or perhaps it's regional, I'm not sure.

                For instance, when I read this - "3. You will drag n drop at least 1
                song from the PodcastSPOTS Site into each episode (hopefully more),
                and cite that it is for sale at the site we generate for you (we
                automatically generate a music store to the site for you when you drag
                and drop songs from our song database to the wizard)" - the takeaway I
                get from that is that I will have to drag n drop at least 1 song from
                the PodcastSPOTS Site into each episode, and cite that it is for sale
                at the site you generate for me.

                I guess what you really meant to say is that it is "suggested" that I
                drag n drop at least 1 song from the PodcastSPOTS Site into each
                episode, and cite that it is for sale at the site you generate for me.
                Doing this is completely voluntary and if I decide to select my own
                music and not bother with music from the PodcastSPOTS site then that
                is perfectly fine with you.

                Is that correct?

                Also, I already have my own website (http://EclecticMix.com) that I
                designed and maintain the way I want. Do I assume that I don't have
                to use something that you want to generate "for" me and that using it
                is strictly voluntary?

                Cheers -

                george

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <dhump3@...> wrote:

                > George,
                > I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying or I did not say
                > it correctly. I am simply saying that there has to be some boundaries.
                > I am not trying to dictate content rather ask that there be voluntary
                > boundaries. Self policing. Quality content means that if we all would
                > strive toward creative content, I think there would be no problems.
                > Also, no one is saying what music you play. I don't care. We would
                > like it if you played songs from the music that has been submitted to
                > podcastspots but you can play from PMN if you desire. We have added a
                > new feature that allows your to browse you drive and place your files
                > within the wizard. What I was suggesting is that artist that have
                > placed their music at podcastspots get played if possible. We do want
                > to support them also. Download our program and test it out,
                > PodcastSpots Wizard
                > http://podcastspots.com/Free-Podcast-Creation-Software.aspx
                > >
                > > --- Dennis <dhump3@> wrote:
                > > > 3) [clip]
                > > > those who only exist to cuss and talk profane is Juvenal (sic) .
                > Why is it
                > > > wrong to ask that we seek quality content? If you want to
                create your
                > > > own network great, do so. 4) We want to allow you the podcaster to
                > > > create your own networks. [clip] So be creative and create your
                > > > own network using our system.
                > >
                > > Might these two statements be contradictory? Personally, I would
                > tell you that
                > > the Eclectic Mix podcast does not involve profanity, it's just not
                > my style.
                > > OTOH, it appears that you are looking to dictate your own
                definition of
                > > "quality" on the podcast, yet clain to be offering creativity.
                > >
                > > If your reasoning was that you considered this to be a family or
                > > religion-oriented network then I would completely understand.
                > However, there
                > > seems to me to be a real gap between offering creativity and dictating
                > > behavior. Then again, when one of the requirements is that you help
                > select the
                > > music to be played, I see this "be creative" statement as mere
                > rhetoric that
                > > has little meaning.
                > >
                > > This is the sort of thing that might work in traditional media, but
                > podcasts
                > > are not in that realm and need to be considered differently.
                > >
                > > Cheers -
                > >
                > > george
                > >
                > > -------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Eclectic Mix - http://EclecticMix.com
                > > DRiP Investing - http://DRiPInvesting.org
                > > Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com
                > > The Prudent Investor - http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=21

                > > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Dennis
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                  George,
                  What you are refering to is ONLY for The PODCASTER who is going to
                  participate in the REVENUE SHARING Program. We have to have some
                  standard to assure that we have equal participation by our partners.
                  IT IS ONLY FOR PARTNERS WHO ARE GOING TO SHARE IN REVENUE. If you
                  chose not to, then it does not apply to you.

                  PLEASE EVERYONE UNDERSTAND!!!! THIS ONLY APPLIES IF YOU WANT TO SHARE
                  IN AD/MUSIC REVENUES. I do not this is unreasonable.

                  I am redoing the terms to make them clearer.
                  Dennis

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "George L Smyth" <glsmyth@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > my style.
                  > > > OTOH, it appears that you are looking to dictate your own
                  > definition of
                  > > > "quality" on the podcast, yet clain to be offering creativity.
                  > > >
                  > > > If your reasoning was that you considered this to be a family or
                  > > > religion-oriented network then I would completely understand.
                  > > However, there
                  > > > seems to me to be a real gap between offering creativity and
                  dictating
                  > > > behavior. Then again, when one of the requirements is that you help
                  > > select the
                  > > > music to be played, I see this "be creative" statement as mere
                  > > rhetoric that
                  > > > has little meaning.
                  > > >
                  > > > This is the sort of thing that might work in traditional media, but
                  > > podcasts
                  > > > are not in that realm and need to be considered differently.

                • Dennis
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                    -
                    Stephen,
                    I HEAR YOU!!! Will attempt to make terms clear.

                    -- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                    > On 2/2/06, Dennis <dhump3@...> wrote:
                    > > George,
                    > > I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying or I did not say
                    > > it correctly. I am simply saying that there has to be some boundaries.
                    > > I am not trying to dictate content rather ask that there be voluntary
                    > > boundaries. Self policing.
                    >
                    > Is it in your terms of service or not, Dennis?
                    >
                    > If it's in your terms of service, *you are dictating content*. The
                    > only voluntary choice at that point is whether to work with your
                    > service or not.
                    >
                    > And regarding that question, attempting to convince podcasters that
                    > they're mistaken about their own needs and desires for a service
                    > provider is *probably* not the best way to win them over.
                    >
                    > Best of luck to you anyway.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Have Fun,
                    > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                    > http://www.escapepod.org

                  • Paul Puri
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                      --- Matthew Wayne Selznick <mws@...> wrote:
                      > There is no longer any such thing as "the fringe."

                      Ditto....

                      Let me expand on this idea a bit.

                      The content is no longer 'fringe'. The audience is.
                      There is a constantly growing 'fringe' audience
                      looking for content that is not based on formula or
                      'cookie cutter' as I call it. The large format media
                      in its current state is responible for all this cookie
                      cutter content. They are responsible for creating this
                      audience. Those people no longer want the constant,
                      benign drivel that is available on tv, radio, and
                      film. We, amongst others, fill that need. We are the
                      next evolution of media.

                      Sure, there has always been a need for alternative
                      forms of entertainment, info, etc, but the demand is
                      larger than it has ever been before. And that audience
                      is getting larger by the minute as technology becomes
                      easier to attain and afford.

                      Those who can grasp this mentality, can enjoy the
                      benefits it brings.

                      Paul Puri

                      Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
                      http://podsafegear.com

                      Unsigned Podcast Network
                      Skype:unsignedpodcast
                      unsignedpodcast@...

                      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                      The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                      http://paulpurionline.com

                      Promotion without shame.
                      Podcasting Announcements

                    • George L Smyth
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 3, 2006
                        --- Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                        > On 2/1/06, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I loaded my own RSS feed to check out it's RSS reader....it's pretty
                        > > good...BUT...it generated over 5200 hits on my server downloading all the
                        > > episodes of my podcast...in the course of about 2 hours...
                        >
                        > Sounds like it could be one more aggregator based on BITS (Background
                        > Intelligent Transfer Service). If you actually look at your logs, you
                        > will *probably* -- I'm guessing here -- see that each request is
                        > actually a small piece of the file.

                        If it does use BITS then I can only hope that they've corrected it froma couple
                        of weeks ago when I tried it. I selected Ultima Thule and instead of
                        downloading the most recent show, it decided to download all of them (I had no
                        choice in the matter). This would have been okay except for the fact that
                        they've got over 180 shows. I tried every which way to get it to stop, without
                        success. I finally uninstalled the program and found that it was still
                        downloading(?). I restarted my computer and, that's right, still downloading.
                        Finally, I renamed the folder where the downloads were coming and it apparently
                        stopped. I still have no clue as to what was going on there.

                        Cheers -

                        george