Re: [podcasters] recording on the ipod

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
      On 1/31/06, Rachel Lederman <rlederman@...> wrote:
      > Hi there,
      > I just joined your group and I am looking for a little help. I want
      > to record multiple mics, say 2, on to the video Ipod. How can I do
      > this? Just plug in 2 mics and go? How is the quality? Good enough
      > for broadcast?

      Unfortunately, voice recording for the video iPod is still
      theoretical. The old accessories that allowed recording on prior
      iPods don't work with the new one, and Apple hasn't released any
      accessories yet that will allow you to plug in a microphone. The most
      promising sign I've seen is this announcement:

      http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo.php

      ...but it doesn't give a firm date for release, only "late Spring 2006."

      If you need portable recording and it has to be cheap, I recommend
      either getting the Griffin iMic USB adapter and plugging it into your
      laptop, or a portable MP3 player with recording abilities such as the
      iRiver 7xx or 8xx series. I found my iRiver iFP-790 on eBay for about
      $50, and it has excellent recording quality. You can plug in two
      microphones with a mono-to-stereo Y-adapter. The interface is evil,
      but you get used to it after a while. >8->

      If you can spend more money than that, you'll get much better sound
      quality with a dedicated portable recorder. Edirol, M-Audio and
      Marantz all make professional-quality recorders in the $400 to $600
      range. The Edirol R-1 and R-09 may be a good value for you in
      particular because they have an excellent stereo mic built in.

      This is all assuming portability is important to you. If it isn't,
      you get a lot more options. If you let us know what your application
      is, we may be able to give more targeted advice. (But still no love
      with the video iPod, alas. Sorry.)

      Good luck to you!

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Rachel,

        Both Belkin and Griffin have said that an "audio input adapter" is in
        the works to take advantage of the higher recording ability of the new
        iPods...both claim "early 2006"...but alas...nothing yet....

        Until then.....we wait...

        --

        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net
      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

          > On 1/31/06, Rachel Lederman <rlederman@...> wrote:
          > > Hi there,
          > > I just joined your group and I am looking for a little help. I want
          > > to record multiple mics, say 2, on to the video Ipod. How can I do
          > > this? Just plug in 2 mics and go? How is the quality? Good enough
          > > for broadcast?
          >
          > Unfortunately, voice recording for the video iPod is still
          > theoretical. The old accessories that allowed recording on prior
          > iPods don't work with the new one, and Apple hasn't released any
          > accessories yet that will allow you to plug in a microphone.

          Of course, you could always upgrade to a Creative MuVo, which will record voice
          (I got one about a month ago).

          > I found my iRiver iFP-790 on eBay for about
          > $50, and it has excellent recording quality.

          Just thought I'd mention that my slam on the iRiver is that Windows doesn't
          recognize it as an external drive. This means that you need to use their
          software to transfer file. It also means that you can't use it as a flash
          drive (I use mine to sometimes move non-music files from work to home and vice
          versa). It's also got DRM built in. OTOH, the quality of the recorded voice
          is definitely better than my Creative device.

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------

          Eclectic Mix - http://EclecticMix.com
          DRiP Investing - http://DRiPInvesting.org
          Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com
          The Prudent Investor - http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=21

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
            On 2/2/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

            > Just thought I'd mention that my slam on the iRiver is that Windows doesn't
            > recognize it as an external drive.

            Not by default, but you can change that with firmware:
            http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx

            > OTOH, the quality of the recorded voice
            > is definitely better than my Creative device.

            That's why I bought it. It's the only cheap MP3 player with a
            built-in preamp, so you can plug in an external mic and get a good
            level. Most other players that record just have line-in.

            For that advantage I'm even willing to put up with the iRiver's
            pernicious interface. (Although I have no idea how people use it to
            listen to music on a regular basis.) >8->

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Paul Fischer
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
              I second the iRiver. I tried two different types of mics on my 3G
              iPod. They sounded so bad I actually exchanged one of them three
              times before returning it. The audio quality was horrible. If I moved
              the iPod or if there were any vibrations, loud clicks and pops were
              recorded making the recording so noisy as to be useless.

              I switched to an iRiver iFP-899 and a Griffin Lapel mic. That combo
              works very well for me. In fact, all the Balticon Podcasts to date,
              except number 1, were recorded this way due to major cabling problems.

              I've never tried it with two mics, but I have recorded off my mixer
              to the iRiver and that works well. If you're going to be outdoors you
              might want to look for a small battery powered mixer to carry with
              you to control the mic levels. If you want portability and expect to
              have AC power available you might try a small Rolls mixer like this one.

              Sorry for the amazon link, but that's the place I know where to find
              them. This one looks good. I use a Rolls head phone amp that looks
              just like it. That is working fine, so I expect this one will provide
              similar performance.
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002EKFH2/sr=1-2/
              qid=1138916746/ref=sr_1_2/002-8315794-2548813?%
              5Fencoding=UTF8&n=11965861&s=musical-instruments&v=glance

              Headphone out jacks are really excellent to have. Some people say
              they can monitor what they record on their iRiver. I can't on mine
              and I've tried every combination and setting I can think of. Here is
              another Rolls mini mixer that has a headphone out jack.
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002BG2S6/sr=1-7/
              qid=1138916746/ref=sr_1_7/002-8315794-2548813?%
              5Fencoding=UTF8&n=11965861&s=musical-instruments&v=glance

              Paul Fischer "Paul-san, New Media Ninja Warrior", BSFS
              pfischer @ pfischer . com
              The Website - http://www.pfischer.com
              The Blog - http://www.livejournal.com/users/pafischer/
              The Podcasts - http://addcast.net http://balticonpodcast.org

              On Jan 31, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Rachel Lederman wrote:

              > Hi there,
              > I just joined your group and I am looking for a little help. I want
              > to record multiple mics, say 2, on to the video Ipod. How can I do
              > this? Just plug in 2 mics and go? How is the quality? Good enough
              > for broadcast?
              > Thanks for your response!
              > Rachel
              > --
              >
              > Rachel Lederman

            • Judefan
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                Looks like the Micro Memo that CC relayed to this group-
                http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo.php, is ready
                to order.

                --
                P.D. Love
                The LoveHouse Radio Podcast

                http://lovehouseradio.com

                Have you heard the news? - www.podcasternews.com

              • Kwiter Greci
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
                  Kwe Hello, as a former iRiver owner I'd have to
                  disagree with you, on their website under support is a
                  file to turn the iRivers into a UMS device for plug
                  and play use no iriver software required after that.

                  O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

                  http://www.urbanskinz.com Custom Apparel, Housewares and more, all designed by Mohawk Artist Peter Kwiter Greci
                  http://kwiter.webhop.org My Home on the Web

                  Podcast is at http://www.mobilepodcast.org/kwiter

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Kwiter Greci
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
                    For the love of Beany and Cecil!!!! UMS use with
                    iRiver is a few mouse clicks away......

                    WARNING, it does have the unfortunate effect of
                    negating DRM support!

                    O:nen ki' wahi'