Re: [podcasters] Re:How many dB down for background music

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
      On 1/30/06, distsig@... <distsig@...> wrote:
      > And this one is only personal opinion, but if your background music doesn't
      > contribute to your message, then why use it?

      Excellent point. There are a lot of reasons to use background music.
      I use it to differentiate between my intro/outro segments and the
      "meat" of my podcast, which is narrated fiction. I want my commentary
      bits to have a different energy, to be taken a little more lightly,
      and music helps to do that.

      What's really important is that you should *know* why you're using
      music the way you use it. If the answer is just "because everybody
      does," consider all the successful podcasts that don't.

      > The same holds true for compression. A little goes a long way. In fact
      > compression is probably unnecessary on 99% of all Podcasts.

      On this I somewhat disagree. When I'm listening to podcasts in a
      noisy car on a noisy highway, I want the podcaster to use compression
      so that I don't have to ride the volume knob all the time. Most
      people speak a little too quietly, and mere normalization (unless it's
      RMS) doesn't help.

      http://www.escapepod.org