Podcasting Mile High Club

  • Sean Reiser
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
      Folks-

      I'm going to be spending a lot of time in airplanes this week (some work
      things, and podcastercon). I was thinking of doing some recording in
      the plane but am worried about the background noise. Does anyone have
      advice on dos and don'ts for airplane 'casting?

      Thanks!

      --
      Sean Reiser
      The Interocitorcast, http://www.interocitorcast.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
        On 1/2/06, Sean Reiser <sean@...> wrote:

        > I'm going to be spending a lot of time in airplanes this week (some work
        > things, and podcastercon). I was thinking of doing some recording in
        > the plane but am worried about the background noise. Does anyone have
        > advice on dos and don'ts for airplane 'casting?

        That's an interesting idea. My first thought is, where would you
        record? The bathroom? If you just sat in your seat and talked into a
        microphone, you'd either have to do it rather quietly (in which case
        the noise probably would overwhelm you) or loudly and clearly (in
        which case you'd annoy the other passengers around you).

        If you can solve that problem, then my advice would be not to worry
        about the engine noise during recording. When you're doing
        postproduction later on, you can apply noise reduction and minimize
        it. My tool of choice is SoundSoap, but Audacity and most other
        editors come with adequate noise reduction functions. The result
        won't be perfect, but it should be good enough. If you just say "I'm
        on a plane" your listeners will probably understand.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Les Posen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
          I did a fear of flying podcast early in the year, using an Aiwa lapel
          mike of many years vintage, and it worked fine as long as it was
          fairly close to my mouth.

          There was still some aircraft noise, PAs from the crew etc., but in
          my case it was all in context and added to the feel i was trying to
          achieve.

          YMMV, however.

          Les
          On 02/01/2006, at 5:45 PM, Stephen Eley wrote:

          > On 1/2/06, Sean Reiser <sean@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm going to be spending a lot of time in airplanes this week
          >> (some work
          >> things, and podcastercon). I was thinking of doing some recording in
          >> the plane but am worried about the background noise. Does anyone
          >> have
          >> advice on dos and don'ts for airplane 'casting?
        • robert
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
            Hi Sean,

            I did some recording on a plane back in January of last year when I
            was flying to and from India and then again in Feb when I went to China.

            I used a Noise Canceling USB head set. It actually sounded pretty
            good all things considered.

            My headset was the one that comes with IBM's via voice. Andrea Anti-
            Noise USB NC-7100

            Good luck and please say hi at the podcasterCon.

            Rob W
            podCast411

            On Jan 2, 2006, at 12:07 AM, Sean Reiser wrote:

            > Folks-
            >
            > I'm going to be spending a lot of time in airplanes this week (some
            > work
            > things, and podcastercon). I was thinking of doing some recording in
            > the plane but am worried about the background noise. Does anyone have
            > advice on dos and don'ts for airplane 'casting?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > --
            > Sean Reiser
            > The Interocitorcast, http://www.interocitorcast.com
            > because podcasting is thinking small
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Paul Puri
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
              Hey Sean,

              You might want to tell the passengers in the seats
              around you what you are doing. Spread the word about
              podcasting. In fact, if they have interesting stories
              to tell, you might want to include them.

              If you have any problems with noise, let me know. I
              have really good noise reduction software and I would
              be more than happy to run it through.

              Paul Puri

              Unsigned Podcast Network
              Skype:unsignedpodcast
              unsignedpodcast@...

              The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
              The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
              The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
              The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

              Podsafe Gear-Gear for Podcasters!
              http://podsafegear.com

              http://paulpurionline.com

              Promotion without shame.
              Podcasting Announcements

            • Joe Burgess
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                I would definitely tell the people around you what you are doing.
                They might think that you are talking on your cell through some sort
                of headset and get angry. Tell at least the people sitting next you
                and if someone else asks, they can probably defend you.

                On Jan 2, 2006, at 3:43 AM, Paul Puri wrote:

                > Hey Sean,
                >
                > You might want to tell the passengers in the seats
                > around you what you are doing. Spread the word about
                > podcasting. In fact, if they have interesting stories
                > to tell, you might want to include them.
                >
                > If you have any problems with noise, let me know. I
                > have really good noise reduction software and I would
                > be more than happy to run it through.
                >

                > Paul Puri
                >
                > Unsigned Podcast Network
                > Skype:unsignedpodcast
                > unsignedpodcast@...
                >
                > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                > The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                > The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast
                >
                > Podsafe Gear-Gear for Podcasters!
                > http://podsafegear.com
                >
                > http://paulpurionline.com
                >
                > Promotion without shame.
                > Podcasting Announcements
                >
                > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dave Shepherd
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Sean Reiser wrote:

                  > I'm going to be spending a lot of time in airplanes this week (some
                  > work
                  > things, and podcastercon). I was thinking of doing some recording in
                  > the plane but am worried about the background noise. Does anyone have
                  > advice on dos and don'ts for airplane 'casting?

                  FWIW, the most interesting Morning Coffee Notes podcast I have every
                  heard, far and away, was when Dave Winer was on a plane to New Orleans
                  and interviewed the woman sitting next to him about returning to NO to
                  check on her destroyed house.

                  IIRC, he just used his little Archos thingy to record. It sounded fine.
                  They paused whenever the crew came on the PA, and otherwise spoke to
                  each other over the Archos.

                  This would have been cn05Dec13.mp3, posted on December 14.

                  I get annoyed with Dave sometimes, but this MCN was a stroke of genius.

                  Dave

                • Dennis De Jarnette
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                    I was just wondering exactly what you are recording to be a part of the
                    mile high club? Can we trade audio files?

                    Positive Dennis