Re: [podcasters] Marantz 660

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 31, 2005
      On 12/31/05, Tim <email68@...> wrote:

      > The Marantz I find it difficult to get the levels right. If I set my mixer
      > board to everything at 0db, it over loads the input on the marantz. So I
      > have to back it off a bit but that makes the overall average recording too
      > low.

      Is the output from your mixer going into a line input on the Marantz,
      or do you have it plugged into the mic inputs? If the latter, it's
      probably trying to amplify the signal using its own mic preamps. See
      if there's a "line mode" or any other way to turn the preamps off.
      You don't need them if you've already got a mixer boosting the mic.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • George L Smyth
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 31, 2005
        Debbis -

        I use the 660 for my show. I simply record into it, move the files into
        Audacity and I'm done - no mixer needed.

        Cheers -

        george

        --- Dennis De Jarnette <positivedennis@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to make some equipment decision and would appreciate some
        > advice.
        >
        > My first podcast will be religious and will not have a great need for
        > extensive equipment. But my second idea for a podcast will require a way
        > to record mobile interviews, thus the 660.
        >
        > Can I use the 660 in a studio setting by purchasing a mixer, a good mic
        > and a set of headphones, and then hook them up together with the 660 for
        > a home studio. What I am trying to avoid is two sets of equipment if I
        > can. I would also like to avoid the computer noise that some complain
        > about.
        >
        > Positive Dennis
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        -------------------------------------
        Eclectic Mix - http://EclecticMix.com
        DRiP Investing - http://DRiPInvesting.org
        Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com
        Podcaster News - http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=21

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 31, 2005
          On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 10:40 -0800, Tim wrote:

          Happy New Year to all.

          > The Marantz I find it difficult to get the levels right. If I set my mixer
          > board to everything at 0db, it over loads the input on the marantz. So I
          > have to back it off a bit but that makes the overall average recording too
          > low.

          What do you mean when you say you back it off, and the "overall
          average recording is too low"? How far below 0dB on the Marantz are
          your peaks?

          If you want nothing more than to bring your peak volume up to digital
          zero, then simply normalize it. If you want the average volume of your
          recording to get louder, you will need to use compression.

          > I guess the answer as usual is more equipment $$ as in a compressor. But I
          > would think there should be a good way to get some kind of balance with the
          > marantz.

          Input levels are always going to vary dramatically when you're
          recording a human voice. The human voice is capable of a huge dynamic
          range.

          You can bring the average volume up with either hardware or software
          compression at input, or with a software compressor in post production.

          I use a hardware compressor at input so my peaks don't ever exceed
          digital zero on my recorder. I also use some Waves tools in post
          production if I feel the show needs a few more dB to make the playback
          more uniform.

          I've heard a lot of podcasts that don't use any compression or
          limiting at input, and occasionally (and sometimes frequently) distort
          their recordings. They might use compression in post to even out the
          show, but the distortion is already there and it's ugly.

          Rich...

          --

          Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
          Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 31, 2005
            Thanks for the feedback Steve.

            I have the output of my mixer going to the rca line input on the marantz.
            I'm not using the mic connections for the *in studio* stuff.

            -Tim

            theVAP.com

            Is the output from your mixer going into a line input on the Marantz,
            or do you have it plugged into the mic inputs? If the latter, it's
            probably trying to amplify the signal using its own mic preamps. See
            if there's a "line mode" or any other way to turn the preamps off.
            You don't need them if you've already got a mixer boosting the mic.

            http://www.escapepod.org

            _____

          • Tim
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 31, 2005
              I guess what I am trying to say is, with the mics on the mixer set at 0db
              average, and the output mixer controls set at 0 db, the camcorder recording
              worked perfectly. The overall volume was higher and never went over 0 db on
              the recording when I pulled it into the PC.

              W/o changing anything on the mixer, just plugging in the marantz, the input
              level control had to be turned way down like around 1-2 w/o distorting the
              recording.

              So I brought the mixer down about .5 db and raised the marantz input control
              to 3 or so to keep the levels from distorting. But the overall levels are
              lower and the overall average level is lower. Its not distorted, just
              lower.

              -Tim

              theVAP.com

              What do you mean when you say you back it off, and the "overall
              average recording is too low"? How far below 0dB on the Marantz are
              your peaks?

              If you want nothing more than to bring your peak volume up to digital
              zero, then simply normalize it. If you want the average volume of your
              recording to get louder, you will need to use compression.

              Rich...

              _____

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 1, 2006
                Is there hardware compressor that can be used for portable field
                recordings?

                On 12/31/05 5:55 PM, "Rich" <wielgosz@...> wrote:

                > On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 10:40 -0800, Tim wrote:
                >
                > Happy New Year to all.
                >
                >> The Marantz I find it difficult to get the levels right. If I set my mixer
                >> board to everything at 0db, it over loads the input on the marantz. So I
                >> have to back it off a bit but that makes the overall average recording too
                >> low.
                >
                > What do you mean when you say you back it off, and the "overall
                > average recording is too low"? How far below 0dB on the Marantz are
                > your peaks?
                >
                > If you want nothing more than to bring your peak volume up to digital
                > zero, then simply normalize it. If you want the average volume of your
                > recording to get louder, you will need to use compression.
                >
                >> I guess the answer as usual is more equipment $$ as in a compressor. But I
                >> would think there should be a good way to get some kind of balance with the
                >> marantz.
                >
                > Input levels are always going to vary dramatically when you're
                > recording a human voice. The human voice is capable of a huge dynamic
                > range.
                >

                > I use a hardware compressor at input so my peaks don't ever exceed
                > digital zero on my recorder. I also use some Waves tools in post
                > production if I feel the show needs a few more dB to make the playback
                > more uniform.
                >
                > I've heard a lot of podcasts that don't use any compression or
                > limiting at input, and occasionally (and sometimes frequently) distort
                > their recordings. They might use compression in post to even out the
                > show, but the distortion is already there and it's ugly.
                >
                > Rich...

                http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

                / / \ \ \ \
                / / / \ \ \ \ \
                / / \/ O O \ \
                / / / \/ O\ \ \/
                / / \/ \
                \/ \/ \
                \/ \
                __o \/ \
                `\<,_ \/ \
                (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com
              • Rich
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                  On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 09:01 -0400, Bill wrote:

                  That's actually a great question, and I simply don't know.

                  When I say my Podcasting rig is portable, I mean all of my gear fits
                  into Gator 6-space rack case.

                  But I have been thinking about having a truly small rig to bring to
                  cons and what not, and would want a small compressor, so I have been
                  meaning to research this for a while. I haven't yet, but will within
                  the next few months.

                  Rich...

                  --

                  Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                  Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

                  > Is there hardware compressor that can be used for portable field
                  > recordings?
                  >

                  > On 12/31/05 5:55 PM, "Rich" <wielgosz@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 10:40 -0800, Tim wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Happy New Year to all.
                  > >
                  > >> The Marantz I find it difficult to get the levels right. If I set my mixer
                  > >> board to everything at 0db, it over loads the input on the marantz. So I
                  > >> have to back it off a bit but that makes the overall average recording too
                  > >> low.
                  > >
                  > > What do you mean when you say you back it off, and the "overall
                  > > average recording is too low"? How far below 0dB on the Marantz are
                  > > your peaks?
                  > >
                  > > If you want nothing more than to bring your peak volume up to digital
                  > > zero, then simply normalize it. If you want the average volume of your
                  > > recording to get louder, you will need to use compression.
                  > >
                  > >> I guess the answer as usual is more equipment $$ as in a compressor. But I
                  > >> would think there should be a good way to get some kind of balance with the
                  > >> marantz.
                  > >
                  > > Input levels are always going to vary dramatically when you're
                  > > recording a human voice. The human voice is capable of a huge dynamic
                  > > range.
                  > >

                  > > I use a hardware compressor at input so my peaks don't ever exceed
                  > > digital zero on my recorder. I also use some Waves tools in post
                  > > production if I feel the show needs a few more dB to make the playback
                  > > more uniform.
                  > >
                  > > I've heard a lot of podcasts that don't use any compression or
                  > > limiting at input, and occasionally (and sometimes frequently) distort
                  > > their recordings. They might use compression in post to even out the
                  > > show, but the distortion is already there and it's ugly.
                  > >
                  > > Rich...
                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                    On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 21:05 -0800, Tim wrote:

                    Some of those cameras do have some sort of limiter circuit built in.

                    It looks like you have a few choices. :-)

                    Keep using the camcorder, or start using the Marantz with a
                    compressor. :-)

                    I don't mean to be a wise guy, but I don't think you're doing anything
                    wrong, so I don't think there's a quick fix for recording with the
                    Marantz.

                    Rich...

                    --

                    Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                    Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

                    > I guess what I am trying to say is, with the mics on the mixer set at 0db
                    > average, and the output mixer controls set at 0 db, the camcorder recording
                    > worked perfectly. The overall volume was higher and never went over 0 db on
                    > the recording when I pulled it into the PC.
                    >

                    > W/o changing anything on the mixer, just plugging in the marantz, the input
                    > level control had to be turned way down like around 1-2 w/o distorting the
                    > recording.
                    >

                    > So I brought the mixer down about .5 db and raised the marantz input control
                    > to 3 or so to keep the levels from distorting. But the overall levels are
                    > lower and the overall average level is lower. Its not distorted, just
                    > lower.
                    >

                    > -Tim
                    >
                    > theVAP.com
                  • Jacek Artymiak
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Zoom PFX-9003 Palmtop Effects Processor might be used as a portable
                      preamp, compressor, reverb, noise gate, and eq.

                      --
                      Jacek Artymiak
                      podcasting.pl / podcast.pl
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                        Interesting but I would want XLR jacks for the mike input with phantom power
                        then put it into my Marantz.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                          I'm just wondering why you don't do the compressing with software. I've used
                          the Marantz 660 for my shows since July and it makes for a nice small package.
                          Does Audacity's compressor not do what you need to have it do?

                          Cheers -

                          george

                          -------------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                            On 1/2/06, Rich <wielgosz@...> wrote:

                            > But I have been thinking about having a truly small rig to bring to
                            > cons and what not, and would want a small compressor, so I have been
                            > meaning to research this for a while. I haven't yet, but will within
                            > the next few months.

                            There are lots of small compressors out there -- I've occasionally
                            heard the Alesis Smashup recommended for podcasting purposes. Really,
                            anything that isn't specifically rack-mountable would probably count
                            as "small."

                            But your problem for *your* application, if you want something
                            portable enough for true field use, isn't just finding a small
                            compressor. You'd still have to plug the compressor in somewhere (if
                            there's a battery-powerd one I've never heard of it), and the Marantz
                            doesn't have inserts or sends so you'd also need a preamp. Soon
                            you're talking about carrying a small mixer around with you.

                            My feeling would be that it probably isn't worth it. For field
                            purposes, just capture the signal on whatever portable recorder you've
                            got, and do the compression and other dynamic adjustment in software
                            later on.

                            http://www.escapepod.org
                          • Bill
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                              OK - That's what I do now. But I'm jealous of all those guys with the
                              hardware compressor. I use Soundtrack Pro. In fact I just uploaded a podcast
                              that I compressed with soundtrack pro and then normalized and it ended up
                              being not loud enough. That is the first time that has happened (I didn't do
                              anything different) but I just got a couple of emails with people
                              complaining that I recorded it too quiet.

                              Do you think that after I compress it and then normalize to 0 db I should
                              then amplify it? The levels were okay going in. What else do you think I may
                              have done wrong?

                              It is only a six minute podcast if you want to hear what I'm talking about.
                              And well I'm at it. Let's say I go back and amplify it and re-upload it with
                              the same name -- I tried that once (I use libsyn) and I ended up with two
                              feeds.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                                On 1/2/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                                > OK - That's what I do now. But I'm jealous of all those guys with the
                                > hardware compressor. I use Soundtrack Pro. In fact I just uploaded a podcast
                                > that I compressed with soundtrack pro and then normalized and it ended up
                                > being not loud enough. That is the first time that has happened (I didn't do
                                > anything different) but I just got a couple of emails with people
                                > complaining that I recorded it too quiet.

                                That's not a limitation of the tool; it just means you weren't using
                                it right. You have the ability in STP to get whatever dynamics you
                                want.

                                Given what you've said about your workflow, my advice would be to
                                normalize to 0 dB peak and *then* compress. Make sure the threshold
                                on the compressor plugin is set low enough that it's actually doing
                                some work, but not so low that *everything* comes out compressed. The
                                ratio you set will depend on the difference between the loudest and
                                quietest sounds. I would also suggest setting the mode to RMS rather
                                than Peak, and use the "Auto Gain" button to bring the level back up
                                to 0 dB. That's effectively the same as normalizing it again.

                                Play around with it until you come up with a combination that works.
                                You should never do post-production in too much of a hurry, and you
                                should always listen to the result before you put it out to the
                                public. Your goal should be to learn from listener feedback *and your
                                own observations*, and get a slightly better sound with each podcast.

                                > It is only a six minute podcast if you want to hear what I'm talking about.
                                > And well I'm at it. Let's say I go back and amplify it and re-upload it with
                                > the same name -- I tried that once (I use libsyn) and I ended up with two
                                > feeds.

                                That sounds like a question for LibSyn support.

                                http://www.escapepod.org
                              • George L Smyth
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                                  > On 1/2/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

                                  > > It is only a six minute podcast if you want to hear what I'm talking about.
                                  > > And well I'm at it. Let's say I go back and amplify it and re-upload it
                                  > with
                                  > > the same name -- I tried that once (I use libsyn) and I ended up with two
                                  > > feeds.

                                  That happened to me also. The easiest thing to do would be to upload it under
                                  a different name then switch your show to enclose the new file.

                                  Cheers -

                                  george

                                  -------------------------------------
                                  Eclectic Mix - http://EclecticMix.com
                                  DRiP Investing - http://DRiPInvesting.org
                                  Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com
                                  Podcaster News - http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=21

                                  __________________________________
                                • Tim
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                                    I hear ya. I just keep working with the levels until I get it right.

                                    It is funny how sometimes switching to more professional gear can cause more
                                    problems then you had before. Like going to a better mic can show how noisy
                                    your board is, or like switching to the marantz recorder causes more issues
                                    than using a consumer grade camcorder.

                                    -Tim

                                    theVAP.com

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                                      Thanks for the advice. I thought you were always supposed to normalize last.
                                      I also didn't know that sound track pro had RMS normalization I thought only
                                      Peak audio had that. I see now that the settings are all there in the
                                      compressor. Thanks again. I also learned that listening with headphones
                                      doesn't always tell you the problems. My listeners with the complaints are
                                      the ones that use the computer's internal speakers -- they need podcasts
                                      with the highest gain or they can't hear them.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                                        On 1/2/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
                                        > Thanks for the advice. I thought you were always supposed to normalize last.

                                        It depends on what you're trying to achieve. The idea behind
                                        normalization is to try to make sure that different sound sources have
                                        the same relative volume. If everything's at the target level already
                                        -- and most software compressors will auto-adjust that for you -- then
                                        you don't have a need for it.
                                        .

                                        > I also didn't know that sound track pro had RMS normalization I thought only
                                        > Peak audio had that. I see now that the settings are all there in the
                                        > compressor.

                                        Well, not quite. The compressor's settings are using RMS to determine
                                        the *compression* threshold -- it's not the same thing as RMS
                                        normalization. RMS normalization simply means that you're amplfying a
                                        sound based on its average volume, not its peak volume. It's got
                                        nothing to do with compression. The "Auto Gain" button in the
                                        compressor plugin, however, while it works on a different principle,
                                        still works pretty well for raising the volume.

                                        > Thanks again. I also learned that listening with headphones
                                        > doesn't always tell you the problems. My listeners with the complaints are
                                        > the ones that use the computer's internal speakers -- they need podcasts
                                        > with the highest gain or they can't hear them.

                                        So... You have a couple of listeners (I imagine it can't be more than
                                        that) who listen to your podcast *without speakers*? And the volume
                                        control in Windows isn't adequate for them?

                                        http://www.escapepod.org
                                      • Bill
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                                          You're right, it can't be more than a couple of listeners using internal
                                          speakers as my total audience is only a couple more than that!

                                          Seriously, there probably are a lot of new listeners who use their
                                          computer's internal speakers until they learn more about ipods or other mp3
                                          players. My audience tends to be people interested in the rainforest and bed
                                          & breakfasts and not so tech savvy as science fiction readers. My podcast
                                          comes up in ordinary google searches for rainforest info.

                                          By the way, I love what your doing with escape pod and thanks again for the
                                          help.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                                            On 1/3/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

                                            > Seriously, there probably are a lot of new listeners who use their
                                            > computer's internal speakers until they learn more about ipods or other mp3
                                            > players. My audience tends to be people interested in the rainforest and bed
                                            > & breakfasts and not so tech savvy as science fiction readers. My podcast
                                            > comes up in ordinary google searches for rainforest info.

                                            Oh, sure, I understand that there are lots of people who listen at
                                            their computers. My surprise was at hearing that there's a large
                                            number of people who don't have any external speakers at all. I
                                            thought that every computer that shipped from Dell, Gateway, etc. in
                                            the past ten years to the home market came with at least a cheap pair
                                            of powered speakers. If they have even a $10 pair of Labtec speakers,
                                            then a working (if not ideal) solution to "This podcast is too quiet"
                                            is to turn up the volume knob. The internal paper speaker inside the
                                            case of a typical PC isn't really good for anything except making
                                            beeping noises.

                                            > By the way, I love what your doing with escape pod and thanks again for the
                                            > help.

                                            Thanks! And if I manage to get any vacation time and budget in the
                                            next couple of years, my wife and I will certainly be looking
                                            seriously at your inn -- a week or so in the rain forest sounds like a
                                            kickass vacation. >8->

                                            http://www.escapepod.org
                                          • Andy Armstrong
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                                              On 3 Jan 2006, at 15:08, Bill wrote:
                                              > Seriously, there probably are a lot of new listeners who use their
                                              > computer's internal speakers until they learn more about ipods or
                                              > other mp3
                                              > players. My audience tends to be people interested in the
                                              > rainforest and bed
                                              > & breakfasts and not so tech savvy as science fiction readers. My
                                              > podcast
                                              > comes up in ordinary google searches for rainforest info.

                                              I very rarely listen to podcasts on any kind of portable player - and
                                              when I do I don't use headphones - I play it in the car. I don't
                                              think I've ever used headphones with my iPod. Mostly I play podcasts
                                              on my laptop as I work - either through the internal speakers,
                                              through the hifi or through a pair of decent quality headphones.
                                              Anecdotally I don't think it's that unusual for people not to
                                              actually use a portable player.

                                              --
                                              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                                            • George L Smyth
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                                                --- Bill <bill@...> wrote:

                                                > You're right, it can't be more than a couple of listeners using internal
                                                > speakers as my total audience is only a couple more than that!
                                                >
                                                > Seriously, there probably are a lot of new listeners who use their
                                                > computer's internal speakers until they learn more about ipods or other mp3
                                                > players.
                                                [clip]

                                                I always listen to TWIT by burning a CD-RW and playing it in my car while
                                                driving to work.

                                                Cheers -

                                                george