Looking for information about user agent: Microsoft BITS/6.6

  • libsyn
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hey all-
      We are seeing a HUGE amount of requests coming from a user agent identifying itself as
      "Microsoft BITS/6.6". The problem is the ratio of total requests to unique IP's is staggering.
      Like worse than anything we've seen yet. It appears to be hitting a few popular video
      podcasts we host. Searching the web right now looking for more information about what
      agent/application or aggregator site this could be. If anyone has any info, please post.

      Thanks all

      love libsyn.
    • Andy Armstrong
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 5 2:18 AM
        On 4 Mar 2006, at 22:55, Liberated Syndication Support wrote:
        > Hey Guys,
        > Just catching up on the thread. I believe Blunt over here is talking
        > with Andre right now to come up with a resolution. We want what's
        > best for the podcasters, so we will get fixes in for this and make
        > sure that we have functionality for IE and Vista. We are not always
        > sure what is friendly/unfriendly as far as all the variations of
        > traffic that we get, it can be confusing at times. In the end we are
        > just trying to build the best system we can. Any Microsoft eyes out
        > there? We'd love to have your shop talk ear for a minute.

        I'll keep this brief - I'm already in trouble for my vaguely
        obsessive response to this issue :)

        1) You know that this isn't a Microsoft specific issue, right? I'm
        seeing a lot of 206 response
        codes for PSPRssChannel-agent/1.0.0 libhttp/1.0.0 too.

        2) So we can keep some of the more impenetrable geekery off this list
        I've started a mailing list
        for hardcore podcasting tech:

        It's a place where we can talk about servers, clients, protocols,
        XML, RSS in a robust way
        without polluting this list.

        --
        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net